Resolution of the EYE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi all,

I was thinking about a post some time back (can't seem to find it) about the specifications of the human eye.

Within the list was things like angle of view, light sensitivity, focus speed, self cleaning lens etc.

Thinking about it I wondered what (if it could be quantified) would be the pixel count.

Such as, 35mm film is I believe equivalent to 20 or 22 megapixels.

What is human vision equivalent to ???

Ok, I know it is past my bed time :bsmilie: ... but my brain decided to party on :cry:

Cheers :)

Introduction:
This short note does some calculations regarding the bandwidth of the eye, viewed as an input device.
This is followed by a consideration of the body as a gesterual output device.
Information acquistion, information delivery.
Less formally:

How Many Pixels Does an Eyeball Have?
How many vision receptors are there?
What is the spatial and temporal resolution of the eye?
At what rate can the body express information to the outside world?

First Guess: The Eye has 90 Million "Pixels".
The figure above implies a reasonable value for optical receptor density is 100,000 receptors per square millimeter. Retinal coverage of is nearly 180 degrees. To compute the receptor count we need the diameter of the eye. The radius of the average eye is 12 mm. This implies that the surface area is 2 p r2 or 904.7 square millimeters. This first ordercalculation implies that average eye contains 90 million receptors. Most people have two. Eyes that is. When building display devices, it is convenient to give pixels Cartesian (i, j) or (x, y) coordinates. Based on this, if we were to build a display device that could simultaneously excite all the optical receptors, and if this display device were a square, there would be 9512 pixels on an edge.

Taken from Here

I think there's sensor dust on my eye.
I see things floating around. I read somewhere that they are dead nerves?
Do they ever go away or will they float around here forever?

adamadam said:
I think there's sensor dust on my eye.
I see things floating around. I read somewhere that they are dead nerves?
Do they ever go away or will they float around here forever?

What are ya waiting for, check yourself in for sensor swabs or God forbid.. replacement. :devil: :devil: :bsmilie:

It's the night.. that makes me crazy. :sweat:

I hope warranty hasn't expired.

There was some backfocussing as well I think, so I brought for callibration and they can only offer me a correcting-glass to put infront. Just glad that it doesn't cause vignetting.

got how many pixel oso cant print or video out, wads d point? :dunno:

got 3rd eye ver not? :bsmilie: :lovegrin:

my focal plane is too far from the lens.

Maybe there's a formula to this... I emphasise 'maybe' :bsmilie:

Assuming that if a camera were to have higher resolution than the human eye, then we would not be able to see it's individual pixels even at 100%...

Pixel Count of Camera X (Average Pixel Size of Camera X Number of times it has to be reduced to become invisible to the eye) = Megapixel of Eye

I suck at maths. So maybe someone with good mathematics can clean this up or tell me it's wrong? I'm just using my imagination :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.