Resizing Photos for 4R prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

microsmic

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Got a slight problem here.........hope you guys can help me out........Now I've got some photos which I would need to sent to the photo lab for printing into physical 4R copies.

The question is.........what is the size I would need to resize my digital photos to( pixels per inch; inchs ?? ),in order to not lose any detail of the photo, due to cropping done by the photo lab, in order to accomodate the overs sized photo, so that it can be printed out as 4R prints ??

Appreciate your kind reply.

microsmic said:
Hi Folks,

Got a slight problem here.........hope you guys can help me out........Now I've got some photos which I would need to sent to the photo lab for printing into physical 4R copies.

The question is.........what is the size I would need to resize my digital photos to( pixels per inch; inchs ?? ),in order to not lose any detail of the photo, due to cropping done by the photo lab, in order to accomodate the overs sized photo, so that it can be printed out as 4R prints ??

Appreciate your kind reply.

I send mine in at 1530 x 1024, 4R gloss finish works well!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response......Appreciate it.

So is that "Resize" or "Crop" ?? :dunno:

Sorry for the ignorance :embrass:

microsmic said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the response......Appreciate it.

So is that "Resize" or "Crop" ?? :dunno:

Sorry for the ignorance :embrass:

i usually just resize it. The Color Centre crops it for you based on the size you are printing to. Just remind them again when you send your digital images.

Note that different sizes have different crop ratios. To learn more, go to the local Kodak or Fuji website, they list what a crop ratio is for 4R and so on!

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Are you looking for the following info on cropping your pictures? The dpi should be 300. Someone posted this on clubsnap but cannot remember which thread.

12R - 12" x 18" or 3600x5400
S10R - 10" x 15" or 3000x4500
10R - 10" x 12" or 3000x3600
S8R - 8" x 12" or 2400x3600
8R - 8" x 10" or 2400x3000
6R - 6" x 8" or 1800x2400
5R - 5" x 7" or 1500x2100
4R - 6" x 4" or 1800x1200
3R - 5" x 3.5" or 1500x1050

hi to all,

sorry for the newbie question.

am i right that i should just resize my photos to the minimum "1800 x 1200 pixel" and let the photolab crop it?

if i want to crop the photos first because i want to focuse on a particular area, what should i do first? crop and then resize to "1800 x 1200 pixels"?

thanks in advance. :thumbsup: :)

best wishes

Crop first and then resize it. Otrherwise you won't be able to maintain your resolution of choice.

I usually let the photolab do the cropping if I'm printing a whole bunch. Too lazy!

amlim said:
hi to all,

sorry for the newbie question.

am i right that i should just resize my photos to the minimum "1800 x 1200 pixel" and let the photolab crop it?

if i want to crop the photos first because i want to focuse on a particular area, what should i do first? crop and then resize to "1800 x 1200 pixels"?

thanks in advance. :thumbsup: :)

best wishes

ben.naden said:
Crop first and then resize it. Otrherwise you won't be able to maintain your resolution of choice.

I usually let the photolab do the cropping if I'm printing a whole bunch. Too lazy!

thanks !!! :thumbsup:

ben.naden said:

oops... just thought of 1 thing. when i crop it, do i have to keep to any specific ratio size? what i mean is will i have a situation where i crop a particular area, but after resizing it, the photo looks distorted? sorry if the question is pretty dumb... thanks :thumbsup:

amlim said:
oops... just thought of 1 thing. when i crop it, do i have to keep to any specific ratio size? what i mean is will i have a situation where i crop a particular area, but after resizing it, the photo looks distorted? sorry if the question is pretty dumb... thanks :thumbsup:

Assuming you are using Photoshop...use the crop tool and set the measurements to 6" x 4" (or vice vesa) and resolution at 300 pixel/in. In this way, not matter how you pull, the ratio always stays at 3:2, at the same time, it will maintain the 4R print size

PS, some lab may only requires a 150 pixel/in resolution, this would keep the file size smaller especially those that are sent online ;)

Jer said:
Assuming you are using Photoshop...use the crop tool and set the measurements to 6" x 4" (or vice vesa) and resolution at 300 pixel/in. In this way, not matter how you pull, the ratio always stays at 3:2, at the same time, it will maintain the 4R print size

PS, some lab may only requires a 150 pixel/in resolution, this would keep the file size smaller especially those that are sent online ;)

thanks for your reply. i am using zoombrowser ex. just now i was trying to do what you suggested but i couldn't find the commands to fix the ratio (maybe i missed it).

amlim said:

help.... :dunno:
i tried to crop the photo first and then resize using zoombrowser ex. the image is distorted. i can't figure out how to crop it using 1800 x 1200 or 3:2 size.

the crop feature seems to be freehand ie you use the mouse to draw the box around area you want to crop.
:cry:

I too wanna crop my phtotos for a 4R print.

Is there anyway to achieve this in PS?

I input the figures(dimensions), then a box appears, so I drag around the screen and then press enter to have it cropped for a 4R print.

Any advice is truly appreciated.

For those who do not want to crop your digital prints maybe can print ur digital photos at www.mydigilab.com they print digital 4R size. Except your will find it difficult to find albums to accomodate the extra half inch.

I think it is better to crop before sending it in, i have had bad experiences with them chopping too close to the heads.

amlim said:
help.... :dunno:
i tried to crop the photo first and then resize using zoombrowser ex. the image is distorted. i can't figure out how to crop it using 1800 x 1200 or 3:2 size.

the crop feature seems to be freehand ie you use the mouse to draw the box around area you want to crop.
:cry:

any gurus can help me, please?? :dunno: thanks. :)

DHSC76 said:
I think it is better to crop before sending it in, i have had bad experiences with them chopping too close to the heads.

You're right...my photos got "cropped", even when they're at the recommended size of 1800X1200 Pixs.

amlim said:
any gurus can help me, please?? :dunno: thanks. :)

I'm no Guru, but maybe you'll be better off using PS ?.....any chance of getting your hands on a copy ? I'm sure you'll get lots of answer then. :D

Just my few cents worth of advise......I'm neither an advocate nor an evangelist.......whatsoever. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.