Resizing Image without losing quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
Hi all...i found a picture on the web that is nice and would like to develop it...

But the dimensions are 251 x 367 pixels only...i want to develop it into a 4R photogrpah and that would require at least 1024 x 768 resolution. Can i just manually adjust the pixel dimensions myself? I noticed the quality deterioates slightly. Is there any other way to enlarge the photo?

bent said:
Hi all...i found a picture on the web that is nice and would like to develop it...

But the dimensions are 251 x 367 pixels only...i want to develop it into a 4R photogrpah and that would require at least 1024 x 768 resolution. Can i just manually adjust the pixel dimensions myself? I noticed the quality deterioates slightly. Is there any other way to enlarge the photo?

Strictly speaking, that's an infringement of copyrights. Unless the picture in question is designated free stock.

bent said:

email the webmaster to get a bigger size picture?

I think fixerlabs has a program that lets you increase the resolution of the picture. But the software is not cheap. Probably cheaper to ask the webmaster for a copy.

Cheers,

oh ok..thanks a lot..

bent said:

YES THERE IS A WAY... so please ignore earlier answers. Firstly there are programs like Genuine Fractals which resample pics and interpolate the fill in data to resize...but this is expensive though you can get a free downlaod which allows you several tries without purchasing... BUT you can also do it In a similar fashion in PS)....of which probably the best way is 'Incremental Image Size' increases:

Select Image > Image Size and change the Dimensions from Inches/Cm or whatever to 'Percent'. Keep the restrain Icon and make sure the resampling Box shows 'Bicubic' now change the percent from 100 to 111 (I use this as its easy to type. This resamples th Image increasing its size by 11%. Then keep repeating till you have the image the size you want. Of course the better the original Image the better the resample.... Compare this resized Image with say the original resized for the screen to the same size. Then say compare it to an image where you have simply increased the resolution and you should see the difference.

Hope this makes sense

Stroma ;)

ortega said:
nope. no way to do it without decreasing quality.
I agree with Ortega.

Stroma, there are much debate going on abt whether specialized software or PS do a better job at resizing. But ALL current softwares cannot upsize an image 'without' decreasing quality.Period.

Tink your reply misleading leh..unless you're a software retailer, then paisay, haha. :bsmilie:

Hmmm... I think we should compare the two scenario : print the 251 x 367 pixels picture to the printer in 4R size, versus, upsize the picture to 753x1101 pixels and print it to the printer in 4R size.

Upsizing and print will definitely "improve" the quality versus directly dumping the small picture to the printer since the PS bicubic upsampling is better than the printer's "enlarge" the pixel method. But I would say, 251x367 possibly a bit far off. Genuine Fractals is slightly better than PS's bicubic upsampling. Give it a try.

jjch_sg said:
...Genuine Fractals is slightly better than PS's bicubic upsampling. Give it a try.

I'm using it as well,tink its debatable?..
Very much depends on the image. In many instances, PS does as well,if not a better job.

Problems are often most obvious in images with hard lines/edges.. :)

the thread starter intention juz to print it right? 4R is too big for a small pic u had, perhaps try duplicate it & make it 6 same pictures in a 4R pic. the print out will be small but the image wont degrade so much.

it is impossible to rebuild data which is not there from the very beginning. futhermore, the image is a WEB image, means it's a compressed image. compressed images = further loss of data.

imagine a fella's eye is made up of only 6 pixels originally. i do not believe that any software in the world can interpolate a complete eye out of that 6 pixels.

Yes there is a solution but it requires u to do some research as well as some manipiulation in ps. first u have to understand how ps interpolates resizing. bilinear and bicubic interpolation resize images at a maximum of 8 (correct me if I'm wrong ) pixels duplicated for every pixel. Use bilinear for areas of even tone in the image, bicubic for slightly more detailed areas and there is something calle sync interpolation which samples 256 pixels for every pixel to be reproduced-this stuff is perfect for areas of high detail. this is the same interpolation software nasa uses. google it for more details. what u can do is FACTORIALLY resize yr image using each of the interpolation methods( create an action that scales the image at 110% each time can click it until it fills yr canvas of the size u want) and then for highly detailed areas interpolate it with sync interpolation. stack these in ps and erase the areas the areas with artifacting and compress it to the size u want.

Status
Not open for further replies.