Resizing image to A3 300dpi for AOH Digital Photography Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CY_OH

Jun 24, 2004
Ang Mo Kio
www.flickr.com
I just received a call telling me that one of my entries has been selected for the next round of judging. I would be receiving an email telling me how to submit the full sized image. From the website, it states that they require the image at A3 297mm by 420mm at 300dpi in JPEG, TIFF or PDF format.

The problem is my image is captured at 1600x1200 and I only have a saved it as TIFF file at 300dpi occupying 5.5MB, giving 5.3x4in print size. How can I resize the image to A3 without losing too much quality. Thanks in advance.

Extensis has a software called pxlSmartscale.

A lot of pros use that to crank up the size of their digital photos. You use this as a plug-in in Photoshop.
By the way what's AOH? All the best dude. :thumbsup:

what other softwares that allow you to up the size of your pics? pxl Smart Scale, Genuine fractals,........ what others? anyone?

CY_OH said:
AOH is Army Open House. See the thread below for details of the photo contest.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=86775

Just downloaded pxl Smart Scale and will be giving it a try.

Hi, how is it? Good? You downloaded the plug-in? how to work it with PS? Can advise?

thanks and congrats!

sumball said:
Hi, how is it? Good? You downloaded the plug-in? how to work it with PS? Can advise?

thanks and congrats!
The plug-in gives you a 30 day free trial, after which registering is needed. There is a help file in pdf format installed when you download the program. There is an additional menu called Extensis in Photoshop to access the software.

I did not notice much difference between an image resized in photoshop and using the plug-in. The one using Photoshop was softer and fine detail was soft but more natural looking. The artefacts for Photoshop were slightly less noticeable but it could be due to the softness.

CY_OH said:
I just received a call telling me that one of my entries has been selected for the next round of judging. I would be receiving an email telling me how to submit the full sized image. From the website, it states that they require the image at A3 297mm by 420mm at 300dpi in JPEG, TIFF or PDF format.

The problem is my image is captured at 1600x1200 and I only have a saved it as TIFF file at 300dpi occupying 5.5MB, giving 5.3x4in print size. How can I resize the image to A3 without losing too much quality. Thanks in advance.

Most probably for film users where you'd scan in the photo at extremely high resolution to get that kind of size.

AOH contest rules specify each image's file size no larger than 500Kb. It pays to adhere to them.

reachme2003 said:
AOH contest rules specify each image's file size no larger than 500Kb. It pays to adhere to them.

I believe that's for submitting initial entries, which are reduced in size like a thumbnail. And CY_OH is already past that stage and now they want a full size picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.