Resizing 20D Files for Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

r52lanc

Feb 12, 2004
Bukit Timah
www.pbase.com
Now that you have your shiny new Canon 20D....open a large/fine jpeg and wow 8+MP. What to do?

I highly recommend doing a 2 step resize for web editing. I wrote an action to turn my 20D jpeg into a 10D jpeg. Yup, that's right! First thing that I do is run an action to turn my 20D 3504x2336 pixel image into a 3000x2000 pixel image. Yup, down to 6MP. Then you can crop, resize to final size, adjust levels, etc.

Everyone knows that upsizing needs to be done in steps. Well, the same is true for downsizing. I keep the original image file for re-editing or printing workflow.

Once your image is down to 6MP, it's easier to handle in Photoshop. Just run your 10D or 300D workflow and you're done in a snap!

Robert

although i thank you for sharing with us your digital workflow, i can't help but feel a hint of gleeful display of smugness that you're one of the first to have your hands on the 20D? Show off your pictures instead, bro... not in words that you already have the latest tech.

peace :)

its awesome you have the 20D *envy*

I highly recommend doing a 2 step resize for web editing. I wrote an action to turn my 20D jpeg into a 10D jpeg. Yup, that's right! First thing that I do is run an action to turn my 20D 3504x2336 pixel image into a 3000x2000 pixel image. Yup, down to 6MP. Then you can crop, resize to final size, adjust levels, etc.
:thumbsup:

Thanks Robert, I new to this site and 20D, I shall certainly give it a try. My 20D downsizing seems to contain some artifacts.

0060ChinaSquareCentral-vi.jpg

although i thank you for sharing with us your digital workflow, i can't help but feel a hint of gleeful display of smugness that you're one of the first to have your hands on the 20D? Show off your pictures instead, bro... not in words that you already have the latest tech.

peace

its awesome you have the 20D *envy*

I am not the only CSer with a 20D. The first batch delivered to the photo shops last Friday was eagerly bought up. There are people here on CS with a 1DMark2 and I envy them.

BTW, I find the web-sized pics from the 20D and 10D look the same. Have not compared prints yet. The improvements in the 20D are mostly mechanical...speed, buffer, autofocus, etc. The 10D is still an awesome camera.

Robert

Thanks Robert, I new to this site and 20D, I shall certainly give it a try. My 20D downsizing seems to contain some artifacts.

Hello Winegum:

Do you have dirt on your sensor or were those spots on the wall?

Robert

hi guys!
i consider myself the lucky and privileged people who can get their hands on the 20d so quickly, i have to thank the folks at shriro for this!!
i bought the 20d as a hefty investment..how ever i cant help but feel
that many "camera owners" out there seemed to be more interested in gettting the bigger better deal than learning and taking better photographs.
i say this because i occasionally will get caught up with all the mega pixel race and all that techno babble stuff....i mean its really good that some people can afford all the L lenses and that 1 gazillion mp camera thats great!
...i cant afford those.... :embrass:
a friend recently told me during a trip to china, he saw the most amazing photographs he ever laid eyes on,....at a roadside bazaar, poor photographers trying to earn a living selling their pics..
he said that they were using really cheapo cameras and that made him embarrased carrying his nikon f4 with him.
cooks talk about dishes not pot and pans, painters about paintings not brushes or easels...but why are we always talking about gear?
-just a thought

haha Rob, r u try to console me? :D

r52lanc said:
I am not the only CSer with a 20D. The first batch delivered to the photo shops last Friday was eagerly bought up. There are people here on CS with a 1DMark2 and I envy them.

BTW, I find the web-sized pics from the 20D and 10D look the same. Have not compared prints yet. The improvements in the 20D are mostly mechanical...speed, buffer, autofocus, etc. The 10D is still an awesome camera.

Robert

r52lanc said:
Do you have dirt on your sensor or were those spots on the wall?

Robert

At first I thought it was dust on the sensor myself, but I did the "pic-of-the-sky" test at F22, yes there were some specks but not enough to warrant the markings. Therefore it may be the markings on the walls.

Nevertheless, I shall do a sensor clean this weekend. My first 20D clean, myheart is already racing . :sweat:

Thanks

r52lanc said:
Now that you have your shiny new Canon 20D....open a large/fine jpeg and wow 8+MP. What to do?

Everyone knows that upsizing needs to be done in steps. Well, the same is true for downsizing. I keep the original image file for re-editing or printing workflow.

Once your image is down to 6MP, it's easier to handle in Photoshop. Just run your 10D or 300D workflow and you're done in a snap!

Robert

Hi robert,

Thanks for the tips. Anwyay, were you at eastpoint last saturday? We may have met there.

Rgds...

frankly speaking, 3504x2336 pixel image into a 3000x2000, does it make diff to be edited in PS?

chenwei said:
frankly speaking, 3504x2336 pixel image into a 3000x2000, does it make diff to be edited in PS?

I have re-edited my photo using the method suggested and here is the result, as you can see there is little or no artifacts at the tip of the horns. BTW I have also cloned out the smudges.

0060ChinaSquareCentral-vi.jpg

Claim down. What these group lacks in skills and performance are made up via the size of their investment.

Look at Singapore car drivers, not much diff then this camera senario that you have painted.

zig said:
hi guys!..how ever i cant help but feel
that many "camera owners" out there seemed to be more interested in gettting the bigger better deal than learning and taking better photographs.

Being new here, I have yet to learn the culture of this site. But since this is a Digital Darkroom forum, do we not have to restrict the disucssion to photo editing?

I also see a general forum called Kopitiam where you can discuss other subjects. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

....You are probably right. You could resize more in the first step. One thought is that the first step resize result in a size where you could go either to a 4R print workflow or a web workflow.

The original 8MP image is too large to print to 4R. If you did not crop, a first step resize to 2000x1333 would give exactly 300ppi at 4R (6x4 in) print. In the real world we crop so the first step resize should not be so much. That's why to be safe, I just go to 6MP then I can either go to a print workflow or web workflow with room to crop.

Hi robert,

Thanks for the tips. Anwyay, were you at eastpoint last saturday? We may have met there....Rgds
Yes, I was at East Point on Saturday fighting for space with the CS photogs.

Robert

r52lanc said:
....You are probably right. You could resize more in the first step. One thought is that the first step resize result in a size where you could go either to a 4R print workflow or a web workflow.

The original 8MP image is too large to print to 4R. If you did not crop, a first step resize to 2000x1333 would give exactly 300ppi at 4R (6x4 in) print. In the real world we crop so the first step resize should not be so much. That's why to be safe, I just go to 6MP then I can either go to a print workflow or web workflow with room to crop.
Robert

hi! i'm a little confused as to why this resizing has to be done? besides being smaller in size and therefore easier for photoshop to handle, are there any differences if this is not done?

as for sending an 8MP image for printing to 4R, wat complications wld there be besides it being a waste of space?

tks!

hi! i'm a little confused as to why this resizing has to be done? besides being smaller in size and therefore easier for photoshop to handle, are there any differences if this is not done?

as for sending an 8MP image for printing to 4R, wat complications wld there be besides it being a waste of space?

tks!
Modern ink jet printers do a very good job of scaling lower resolution images up but they can't scale down very well at all. They get overwhelmed by very high res pictures. If you send the equivalent of a 400-600 ppi photos to your printer, you may see weird artifacts and jagged edges. It's best to stay in the 200-to-300-ppi range when printing. That means downsizing your jumbo file.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.