resize/compression utilities..

Status
Not open for further replies.

savager

Jun 12, 2004
recently.. just downloaded a software called "faststone resizer" .. was pretty amazed by how much the size of a normal jpg picture ( 5MPs ) was reduced after i resized it to 1600x1200.. its like from 1.5mb to 150kb.. and the good thing is that there's no discernable difference between the original and the recompressed pic.. are there any cons associated with such a process? i'm thinking of using this to reduce the size of my pic collection.. :)

recently.. just downloaded a software called "faststone resizer" .. was pretty amazed by how much the size of a normal jpg picture ( 5MPs ) was reduced after i resized it to 1600x1200.. its like from 1.5mb to 150kb.. and the good thing is that there's no discernable difference between the original and the recompressed pic.. are there any cons associated with such a process? i'm thinking of using this to reduce the size of my pic collection.. :)
there will sure be some bits here and there being lost during the process unless you convert them into TIFF or any other uncompressed format.
Personally i keep the full resolution photos, and only resize them for web upload.

If you are never gonna postprocess them at a later time and you are just gonna make prints nothing bigger than 4R size then it might be a good idea. But personally, I still prefer to keep the full size pics for more flexibility.

are there any cons associated with such a process?

The con is that this kind of compression is likely to be a lossy compression, ie. you cannot reverse the process to obtain your original files.
Personally, I wouldn't go for it because storage technology improves quickly.
Some time down the road, when you have more space, you may regret throwing away your originals.

The con is that this kind of compression is likely to be a lossy compression, ie. you cannot reverse the process to obtain your original files.
Personally, I wouldn't go for it because storage technology improves quickly.
Some time down the road, when you have more space, you may regret throwing away your originals.

okay.. but my pictures are piling up.. and there's no reliable storage medium for me to rely on.. hmm.. may consider compressing some of the not-so-important pics to save some space.. thanks for the reply guys!

btw... OT : what's the best noise reduction plugin for photoshop?

okay.. but my pictures are piling up.. and there's no reliable storage medium for me to rely on.. hmm.. may consider compressing some of the not-so-important pics to save some space.. thanks for the reply guys!

btw... OT : what's the best noise reduction plugin for photoshop?
Burn multiple copies of DVD for storage of the original. Make copies of your archives every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.