Reservoir view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siraj

Apr 15, 2007
1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on the composition.
I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the 2 vessels against an almost never ending water body.

I will like feedback on post processing techniques.
I have not done and post processing as I don't know what could be done to enhance this picture.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want viewers to feel the depth of the picture with the vessels as a foreground (my main focus of this picture) against multiple layers of patches of land.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took this picture because I feel the vessel being the only man made object would stand out vs the natural surrounding in the background. Though this was taken in the afternoon, the clouds were beautifully diffusing the sunlight for me at that time.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally I just like the man made vs nature thing and also the depth that is intended to show here but I just don't seem to like the colour so much. What can I do to make this picture really stand out? Is my white balance out? Would making the picture black and white help? I am just not happy with the picture. Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

3571680985_1232c1fa3f.jpg

url%5D

Last edited:
Composition is quite okay, what's lacking here is the light, somehow as you mentioned, the clouds had diffused the sunlight and therefore the colours will turn dull or pastel. And now the picture look flat.

Last edited:
If you have RAW you can make wonders in few minutes in PP regarding lights and details as clouds.

Hi, yes I do agree that the colour is rather flat. As a matter of fact I have this image in raw. What can I do to bring the colours out to make it less flat?

Cannot advice now as I am in Delhi and can't check useful settings. If you don't get any hints by Friday night I will come back. Well, depending what software you have for editing. BTW, right now I hate I didn't bring my camera here...there is real life out of my hotel room every morning...we are priviledged I can tell.

Thanks Lokomotiv. We are privileged indeed. We won't know how privileged we are until we see those in the developing countries. Maybe get a pns camera to snap some pix? I heard its cheap there.

better if you could post the bigger version now, i cannot see the bigger version as gallery is shut for maintenance

no hard feelings, but i don't think this is the correct path that TS should be starting on. :)

back to the pic. apart from the colors, the composition is ok other than the buoy that you choose to include in the foreground.. if given a choice i would have left out the grass too.

it takes a lot for this pic to work. firstly, it's either sunrise or sunset timing which normally will have better lighting. right now, the sky doesn't seems to be tat attractive. there was once when i tried to "enhance" the sky by using an orange gnd. but nothing beats the real stuff. with good weather good lighting and a slightly better composition, this picture could work.

sometimes when things certain factors are not in place, i choose rather to not shoot. because i end up deleting it too. haha.

go out... shoot more! :D
If you have RAW you can make wonders in few minutes in PP regarding lights and details as clouds.

The buoy at the bottom right is a bit distracting, the boats are smack in the center. Might work if you get in closer and make the boats your subjects. and for pictures like this, always apply the 1/3 rule if you plan to show both the subject and the landscape as well.

is it my computer or did TS posted a sticker size photo:bsmilie::bsmilie:

too small to see anything lar:bsmilie::bsmilie:

seems like its taken under noon sun, as I see reflection of the roof of the boat. the shadow of the boat is right beneath. Quite a bad time for scenic picture.

Thanks so far for the comments and suggestions. I have updated the picture such that it is bigger now ;p

So far from what I understand, the lighting at the time the picture was taken was not right hence the problem with the colours. I also gathered that there's nothing much I could do (post processing) to this picture to bring up the colours. Is this right?

siraj,

probably not, the lighting is bad here for what you are shooting, but it is a point to note that you should not automatically assume because of sweeping statements that noontime light is bad. it can be good, it is just bad for this scene. observation of the quality of light, and how to bend it to your purpose, that is far more important than chanting statements that noontime is bad. that is akin to saying "four legs good, two legs bad" in animal farm, and we are not sheep.

anyways, that aside, i like the idea in composition. i would not have shot the scene because the inclusion of the lifesaver + stand spoils it somewhat, but the position of the boats, and the angle on them, that is at least good. it is a good try, despite the lighting letting it down overall.

Where is this place

Where is this place

well, this is critique corner, but i don't think that's what you are asking

please read the critique corner guidelines, if you want to know the place, you can pm the threadstarter

Hi jeffL,

Care to share what you did exactly in ps? It kind of bring the colours out though not the way I wished it could be as the lighting wasn't really right at the point the picture was taken.

It still has this muted feel to the colours.... haha I'm too demanding for a picture that isn't that good to begin with. ;p

Thanks so far for the comments and suggestions. I have updated the picture such that it is bigger now ;p

So far from what I understand, the lighting at the time the picture was taken was not right hence the problem with the colours. I also gathered that there's nothing much I could do (post processing) to this picture to bring up the colours. Is this right?

Personally, even if the lighting isn't right but i feel that i really have to take the picture, i'd choose to shoot and live with the lighting somehow.

In ur instance, i'm glad that u did shoot it.

For flat colours, use curves in PS. Tweak the respective channels into a S shape and see the colours pop. To add more contrast, check the 'show-clipping' box when u're in the individual colour channel and pull the arrows inwards until u see the highlight/shadow start to clip.

To compensate for the contrast in such harsh lighting, use adjustment layers in PS.

Here, i'd duplicate the image on a separate layer, lower the exposure in the duplicate and add black layer mask (alt+click on layer mask). Switch the brush to white.

I'd want to lower the exposure of the sky & water, so i'd paint over them to reveal the lower exposure in these areas.

U'd get a less contrasty image this way.

Okay personally i feel its almost there but just too many distractions. I will just retain the 2 boatds and the water. Remove the foliage over the horizon and the float. You may have to get nearer and shift from another angle to lock the viewer's focus on the 2 boats with clear still water as backdrop. May try picturing this in your mind and shoot it during dawn or dusk, or do RAW and experiment with white balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.