Research on the use of air-con

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlyf

Jun 29, 2005
Pandan Gardens
Hey,

I have a friend from Norway who's currently visiting Singapore, and doing some research for her master's thesis here as well, regarding the use of air-conditioning. Do let her know if you're keen to take part! Thanks!

Hannah

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello!

I am a master student in the field of sociology at the Centre for Development and the Environment in Norway. Currently I'm staying in Singapore. My master thesis will investigate the interaction between people and technology, focusing on possible factors that influence our energy consumption. During my stay in Singapore I am interested in looking at the way air conditioning technology is being used by people in Singapore. This will be done by interviews with people that live in Singapore that both choose to have air con in their home, or that chose to not have air con in their home. I am especially interested in talking to people that choose to not have at air con at home, for environmental reasons or other reasons. The interviews will take about 30- 45 minutes and are done in an informal way. It is also totally anonymous and not scary at all! I am not looking for any right or wrong answers; I am just interested in getting an idea about different practises in use of air con and how this technology affects people's everyday life.

If you feel that you would have time to talk to me, it would be great! Contact me on elisavh@student.hf.uio.no or +65 94819927. A meeting can be arranged where and when it suits you best.

Best regards

Elisabeth Veivaag Helseth

Simple answer..... having no A/C here would be like no heater in the middle of winter in her country.
I don't completely agree to this, depending on where your rooms are facing it is not always hot in Singapore homes. I live in Sengkang, and I never have direct sunlight. I open the windows during the day, and use a fan when it really gets hot.

I can not sleep with aircon as it gets too cold, as I sleep without a blanket :)

Even a fan should not directly face to my body, then I won't be able to sleep as well, so I direct it to my feet.....I still get the soft slow airflow along my body, which for me is cooling enough. I don't open the windows of my bedroom as the road are to noisy, and dusty......I do open windows of other rooms though.

So, I believe in Singapore we don't always need AC everywhere, but many are just too pampered perhaps?

HS

No aircon here. I have a ceiling fan for a reason. Don't see the need to get an aircon for home use.

tsk tsk, you people, all so environmentally unfriendly. just sleep nude lah!!!! dun even need fan liao.

tsk tsk, you people, all so environmentally unfriendly. just sleep nude lah!!!! dun even need fan liao.

Tried before. Sleeping nude is still hot on somedays. Those who are in a winter countries, sleeping nude is damn shiok as it's more comfy then with clothes on........:bsmilie:

I need both aircon and fan to sleep. ;)

sleep with(out) AC &/or fan is a matter of habit.

those who sleep with both AC and fan on must b very hot bloodied - provided they sleep without blankets and with only minmal thin clothings.

for those who sleep with both AC and fan on but use blankets r not that hot blooded. it will b difficult to classify them as they r scared of hot and at the same time afraid of the cold

real heros r those who can "adjust" their bodies to suit the enviroment by only adjusting the windows and doors without resorting to electrical appliciances. any such person like this here?

Status
Not open for further replies.