Required portfolio for NAFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickygck

Sep 20, 2004
Asia
captureasia.photoshelter.com
Hi guys, am just informed am required to present a portfolio for my NAFA interview. Need you guys to advise me how the portfolio should be done. My pics currently are in S8R and 8R with white boarder, is it ok? Next do i need to stick it onto an album or insert into an A4 size 40 pockets file. What kind of picture you guys advise to put in. Thanks. :)

I had a degree interview before for my design course but not in S'pore. Still I think the same general principles apply.

1. Have 8 X 10 prints if you can afford them, or large if possible. I did my work and put them into an A1 portfolio for my interview. However since you already have a fixed size, go with that.

2. Get yourself a good portfolio from art friend, that has inserts and sleeves with black paper so you can paste your prints onto them. Remember to leave a uniform border around the images. A good rule of presentation is to have the top, left and right of uniform distance and the lower bit has abit more space. Images look more elegant when they're raised a little higher than an all round uniform space. For example, give the top, left and right say 1.5" of space and the bottom say 2", this is especially true if you have a line or two of text to describe the image.

3. Placement of images. ALWAYS place a good piece of work as the 1st page, your best piece in the middle and end with another good piece. This maintains interest and helps the interviewer stay focused.

4. Never apologise or say "it's just bla bla bla" for any piece of work. If you have to apologise for that piece, it shouldn't even be in your book.

That's as much as I can impart interview-wise for school. All the best dude!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

u applying for the diploma course?
full time?'
u sholud show other stuff besides photography also like drawings and ....
presenting is important.
but for the nafa interview they see more on the the quality of ur works. mounting should be done for photos la .
i agree with G-man 3rd and 4th statement

good luck ....hope to see u in school soon

As a rough guide:

Go to wedding studios, pretend to want to get married, ask to see their portfolios. Most of them are simple yet attractive (the better studios at least). It'll give you an idea of how to go about it.

Can't help you with what images to put in. Depends on what course you're applying for, what a the interviewers are looking for, and what kinda image you want to present.

not a student at NAFA but will try to give some guideline.

portfolio standard in LASALLE-SIA
1. around 10 images. first is the best, second best is the last. for first impression and lasting impression =p portfolio should demonstarte your capability and your ability =) but some department require more portfolio. I want to apply for fine art and they said need 20 instead of 10 ( gosh! lol )
2. mount on black paper and put in portfolio folder. Reccomended size would be A3 mount in A2 folder. Bigger than that would be too big. A4 mount in A3 is a good option too
3. mount properly. Dont use school glue hor. use mounting spray. and make sure it's not sengek here and there. label properly and do not handwritten it!
4. do not print with cheapo cheapo inkjet printer. Invest for good quality printing!
5. be confident =D and prepare some 'research' to back up your work cuz they may question it. It can be historical approach or whatever influence.

wish u luck =D

solarii said:
As a rough guide:

Go to wedding studios, pretend to want to get married, ask to see their portfolios. Most of them are simple yet attractive (the better studios at least). It'll give you an idea of how to go about it.

Can't help you with what images to put in. Depends on what course you're applying for, what a the interviewers are looking for, and what kinda image you want to present.

Gosh, please don't do that. Many professional photographers I know are nice kind people who would be happy to share with you and help you along with your career. Pretending to be someone you're not could well close more doors than open them. Why not just email a few photographers, tell them honestly what you need out of them and ask them for their advice.

Hi guys thanks for the many advise your given me, i got some prints of S8R with white boarder is it ok? I will be using the photo corners tape to stick the picture on it. Is it ok to have different theme like nature, abstrast, fashion etc?

I think themes are good, it shows you can organise your work.

Avoid photo corners for this. Use photomount. They're alot better and do not leave unsightly corners. Mark out lightly with a pencil where you want the image to be within the confines of the black paper(use the really dark black ones, not the faded black ones which are el cheapo).

Measure twice, paste once. Sometimes if you're confident of your handwriting, you CAN write by hand BUT since this is a portfolio, try not to. It's one thing to experiment but now's not the time. You'll have plenty of opportunity for that in the course of your studies.

Since it's just a basic annotation, use a san serif(eg helvetica, frutiger, gill sans) face. Take note that gill sans while nice and extremely humanist, has a problem in that their small letter L, number 1 and capital I are all just a straight line. You might wanna avoid that face if your annotations consist of numbers and text. Instead, use something like frutiger or even helvetica neue if you can. Standardise your typographic style and faces. Very important but often overlooked is that numbers appear larger than alphabets even at the same point size so you might need to knock down the type size of the numbers by approximately 0.5 points.

Hi G man, great advice you given me, there's still some doubts for me.

1. Must all the picture must be in landscape or portraits style, is it ok to have a mixture?

2. Beside colour picture. i wish to show one or two pictures in B&W, and if possible one of the picture in sepia colour is it ok too?

rickygck said:
Hi G man, great advice you given me, there's still some doubts for me.

1. Must all the picture must be in landscape or portraits style, is it ok to have a mixture?

2. Beside colour picture. i wish to show one or two pictures in B&W, and if possible one of the picture in sepia colour is it ok too?

I do not see why not for 1 and 2. If the image works best in landscape, of course can have landscape and vice versa. If the image works well in sepia or monochrome, why not? Do not be restricted by uniformity to the point you don't dare to push the boundaries of your creative showcase.:thumbsup:

G-man said:
I do not see why not for 1 and 2. If the image works best in landscape, of course can have landscape and vice versa. If the image works well in sepia or monochrome, why not? Do not be restricted by uniformity to the point you don't dare to push the boundaries of your creative showcase.:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot friend. Now am working on it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.