Requesting tips for landscape photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
OK found out that I'm going to New Zealand for holiday this December. Land of beautiful mountains and a billion sheep (not quite street-shooting paradise, but never mind).

I suppose I'll have to learn how to shoot landscapes. Any tips from the experts? Yes, I know I'll need a tripod. Apart from that, what settings are best? What filters would be good to use?

Thanks!

Good for You! heard that New Zealand's scenics are wonderful..

A circular polarizer and a warming filter may be useful?

Just a suggestion.

REgards!

Well.... first things first, you'll need a wideangle lens. :D

i'm no expert, but from what i've read, a polarizer, warm up (81A or B) and some ND grads would be useful (for sky and cloud detail). A wide angle and mid-tele lenses and of course a sturdy tripod.

don't forget to include foreground detail....

have a nice trip. :D

for digital, only polariser needed. Digital ND grad far superior to easy-to-scratch ND grads. And obviously, with White Balance, 81A not needed.

i'm going to finally be shooting landscapes again in October when i go on holiday too. :) Haven't shot landscapes for ages.

Get a good book on landscape photography.

Polariser and a GD filter will be useful.

For film, a warm filter might be needed.

Since this is generally a landscape shooting trip, maybe a good slide like provia or velvia can be seriously considered.

StreetShooter said:
OK found out that I'm going to New Zealand for holiday this December. Land of beautiful mountains and a billion sheep (not quite street-shooting paradise, but never mind).
well, beautiful mountains, billion sheep, and hundreds/thousands of tourists :rolleyes: ... its summer after all.... streetshooting at the towns then...
hope you're going on a F&E one... I think its so much better for landscape photography....

SNAG said:
Well.... first things first, you'll need a wideangle lens.
well, everybody seems to say that, though I find more than half of my landscape shots that I like, doesn't come from wide-angles....

erwinx said:
for digital, only polariser needed. Digital ND grad far superior to easy-to-scratch ND grads. And obviously, with White Balance, 81A not needed.
i'm going to finally be shooting landscapes again in October when i go on holiday too. Haven't shot landscapes for ages.
well, for "split" kind of ND, digital sure is better. but ND filters are still useful when you're at ISO100, f32, and your shutter is still not slow enough for certain effects.... :)
well, hope to see your landscape shots... seem to prefer your landscape shots than the avians ;p ...but I'm probably biased...

..NuTs..

StreetShooter said:

I suppose I'll have to learn how to shoot landscapes. Any tips from the experts? Yes, I know I'll need a tripod. Apart from that, what settings are best? What filters would be good to use?

What a nice thing to find out!?! :D

I was so excited when i saw this thread that it finally made me download an FTP program, learn how to upload photos so i can share some of my humble nz photos (but failed... so seeking some help in KopiTiam)

NZ is amazing... Is definately one of my favourite place. The last time I visited was a year back. Brought 3 lens: Tokina 28-70 for general wide angle use, 100mm, and a 80-200mm.

Wide angles are probably most widely (forgive the pun) used for landscapes... But the telephoto would definately come in handy. Especially when you want to compress perspective like overlapping mountains outlines etc. My widest was 28mm then... after the trip, i wanted so much a 24mm and i got it (just in case i'd ever go back).

The place is rather dry (i went in Winter) ... So you'd meet a lot of BLUE skies, but you may want to bring a Polar along if you'd like more saturated sky colours... It may help you eliminate reflection off lakes and waters (but don't use it at the "Mirror Lake" ... :p )

Front lighting of mountain or landscape with high contrast can be adjusted using Grad ND filters ... but you'd meet more tricky ones like in Milford Sound where the light is coming from the back between two mountains so you'd end up with very bright centre and dark sides... Unless you have the Canon 6000ex.

Check out this poorly scanned pix using the canon d30 scanner:Sheeps

A bad example of how the telephoto can come in handy... Just one pix. Till i figure out how to FTP.

Status
Not open for further replies.