Request help from olympus user

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kenkoo

Hi all

I am kenneth. I am new to digital camera. I intend to purchase olympus C730ZU after some researching. But I still have some doubt on this camera which I hope that you guy can kindly help to enlighten me.

(1) What is the pro and cons in this C730ZU DC?

(2) I learn from some website that SM memory card has some problem in DC, does it still exist in C730ZU?

(3) I prefer using xD pciture card as it can go up to 1GB next year and 256MB is coming out in Dec. Any idea when does 512MB be coming out? And do I need to purchase extra adapter for C730 in order to use xD picture card? What is the price for a 128MB xD card?

(4) What is the jpeg file size that I will get if I take a picture using max resolution by C730?

(5) How user-freindly is the software provide for download picture file from DC to PC? Is the software package provided when I purchase C730? I know that one of my friend using canon camera has a very good software package provided for his DC.

(6) I know that C730 is using AA battary and I need to purchase a charger also. So any brand of charger or battary that you guys recommended? I know that GP is not bad and currently it is upto 1800mAH. But how about charger? I am looking for fast charger.

I am sorry that I have ask so many question, but I really hope that someone can enlighten me. Thanks for your help.

Regards
Kenkoo

I am not a user of the C-730UZ but I do own a C-720UZ.

1) C730UZ has 10x zoom which is what makes the camera exceptionally attractive. But it hasn't got IS, so you'd really need to use a tripod or get sufficient light and use high shutter speeds for high zoom shots. It does have all the manual controls that you probably want. According C-730UZ users and some sample shots, it inherits the CA problem from the older models. I also noticed quite a few complaints about the EVF blacking out both here and abroad, but Oly might just have a firmware upgrade or something to fix that. Other than that, it seems to have all or most of the good stuffs from C-700UZ, C-720UZ and C-4000UZ. Plenty of reviews for those three older models around.

2) I haven't had problems with SM yet so far.

3) No comments, xD picture is still really new.

4) Should be similar to the C-720UZ. The best resolution you'd get is in the TIFF mode and I can only store a pathetic few of those on my 32mb SM. For JPEG mode, I get about 21 pics in SHQ mode and 40+ in HQ mode.

5) You don't need any software to transfer pictures if you're on Windows. It'd be detected as a removable disk drive, and then it's just drag and drop. Can't get any easier than this. It does come with Camedia Master 4.0 which has basic editing and album features.

6) GP is not bad but not really so good (price-performance wise). Check the Maha or Rayovac 1-hour chargers.

In any case, it all comes back to what you want in a camera. Like a versatile DC with lots of zoom power? Then the C-730UZ seems like a pretty good choice.

Hi

what is IS? What does that means?

Regards
Kenneth

Hi Acieed

R u saying that the digital image that I take using c730 model is in the TIFF picture format? So when I plug the DC into PC using the USD port, I will see all the TIFF picture file format appear in one of my drive and I can cut and paste it in my harddisk. But how can I view a TIFF file? Do I need any additional software program for viewing?

After I have choose the file that I want to develop, I just need to burn it into a CD and bring it to a photo-shop for developing, the file shall burn in TIFF format or jpeg format?

And also for 32MB memory crad, it can only take a few shots in TIFF format, then do I will need to buy a very "large" memory card? or can I select jpeg file format when I take the picture?

Regards
Kenneth Koo

IS = Image Stabilizer. Good for shakey hands.

You can use the JPEG mode in the C-730UZ (SHQ or HQ or SQ). TIFF is a popular file format and is uncompressed or losslessly compressed, JPEG compresses better with slight loss in quality.

Hi Acieed

Since C730 do not have IS feature, so is there anyway to prevent this kind of problem, such as fine tune certain function in the DC? I have a shaky hand and do not like to use tripode.

Regards
Kenneth

Originally posted by kenkoo
Hi Acieed

Since C730 do not have IS feature, so is there anyway to prevent this kind of problem, such as fine tune certain function in the DC? I have a shaky hand and do not like to use tripode.

Regards
Kenneth

no i don't tink there is any method to solve such problems.... only a fast shutter and a bright target... even in high end cameras , camera shake is unavoidable....

Hi Acieed

R u saying that the digital image that I take using c730 model is in the TIFF picture format? So when I plug the DC into PC using the USD port, I will see all the TIFF picture file format appear in one of my drive and I can cut and paste it in my harddisk. But how can I view a TIFF file? Do I need any additional software program for viewing?

After I have choose the file that I want to develop, I just need to burn it into a CD and bring it to a photo-shop for developing, the file shall burn in TIFF format or jpeg format?

And also for 32MB memory crad, it can only take a few shots in TIFF format, then do I will need to buy a very "large" memory card? or can I select jpeg file format when I take the picture?

Regards
Kenneth Koo

wow you really have 101 questions :bsmilie: if this is the case get someone who has this camera meet up have a cup of coffee and talk see it in real action :D if you're not a people person can awlays go to the camera shops and test it out on the spot... see wat it can do and stuff...

Originally posted by SianZronG

wow you really have 101 questions :bsmilie: if this is the case get someone who has this camera meet up have a cup of coffee and talk see it in real action :D if you're not a people person can awlays go to the camera shops and test it out on the spot... see wat it can do and stuff...

Sometimes when the questions just pop up in your mind, its best to ask here rather than meeting up :D

Originally posted by revenant

Sometimes when the questions just pop up in your mind, its best to ask here rather than meeting up :D

yah lar... but this one really like got 101 questions ;p but still.... there are many helpful and friendly members at your disposale :bsmilie:

(1) What is the pro and cons in this C730ZU DC?

Skipped. Like any other camera, you'll only find out when you try them ALL..............

(2) I learn from some website that SM memory card has some problem in DC, does it still exist in C730ZU?

(3) I prefer using xD pciture card as it can go up to 1GB next year and 256MB is coming out in Dec. Any idea when does 512MB be coming out? And do I need to purchase extra adapter for C730 in order to use xD picture card? What is the price for a 128MB xD card?

If you're going to use an XD card, then Q2 is irrelevant.

You can get an equote via http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg for the 128mb XD card.

BTW, I'd strongly encourage you to use the XD card (though you're already encouraging yourself) because your camera will unload it's buffer much faster than with an SM card.

(4) What is the jpeg file size that I will get if I take a picture using max resolution by C730?

The 730Z has the Oly "RAW-resize" capability as seen in the C4040 and 40 for the HQ and SHQ settings.

The max. JPEG size is approx. 1.8 mb per shot (SHQ 2048x1536). This is about a 5.5 : 1 compression (TIFF is about 9.8 mb per shot).

Using RAW-resize, the max JPEG is 5.8 mb (SHQ enlarge size 3200x2400)

Note that the 730 has a native file resolution of 2048x1536 as true of it's 3.2MP sensor.

(5) How user-freindly is the software provide for download picture file from DC to PC? Is the software package provided when I purchase C730? I know that one of my friend using canon camera has a very good software package provided for his DC.

You only can tell when you try it. But from my experience, CM4 is extremely easy to use. Excellent for the novice.

FWIW, picture downloading with any digicam these days is easy beyond belief since your memory media on the camera always appears as a Removable Disk within "My Computer" or on the desktop of you're a Mac user.

Downloading is as simple as drag and drop in other words.

(6) I know that C730 is using AA battary and I need to purchase a charger also. So any brand of charger or battary that you guys recommended? I know that GP is not bad and currently it is upto 1800mAH. But how about charger? I am looking for fast charger.

GP has a Rapid Charger that's pretty decent. About $45-50 retail incl. the 4 AAs. I am sure the people here have other chargers to recommend as well.

I am sorry that I have ask so many question, but I really hope that someone can enlighten me. Thanks for your help.

----------------------------------------------------

I have actually been playing with a 730Z with an 128mb XD card.

Here're my thoughts:

1. The write speed is tremendously quick - this is noticeably faster than all the other consumer models to date. HQ and SHQ files flush hurriedly, and SHQ Enlarged is amazingly fast - just a little longer than a normal SHQ file would take to flush.

This has to be due to much more powerful DSPs within the camera, as well as the much faster speed of xD cards vis a vis SM.

Note that you can still use your SM cards on the 730.

2. The RAM buffer is pretty sizeable. I can shoot about 10 SHQ single shots before I have to pause for the entire buffer to clear. On HQ, about 11.

3. Close focus is min 4 cm using Super-Macro. The normal macro gets down to 10cm at the wide angle setting.

4. ISO on Auto seems to vary from 64 - 400. Presets are 100/200/400.

5. Comes with the NR mode.

6. Movie recording capability is only dependent on the size of your memory card.

7. Shutter lag time is pretty short. This is actually very obvious when you try it for the first time.

:bsmilie:

To kahheng

Thanks for your info. I really appreciate the afford that u put in to ans my question. Thanks again.
One more question: If you are using 10x Zoom w/o a tripode, since c730 does not have IS, how bad is the image for a non-experience photographer?

To SianZronG

I am sorry about my 101 question, but as I am new in this field and I am picking up slowly, i hope that you don't mind my question. Anyway thanks to your advice.

To revenant

Thanks to your advice.

Anyway thanks to all of you. I really feel that I am in a family of "olympus fans"

Regards
Kenneth

Imho..

U'll probably be taking pics in the JPEG SHQ or HQ mode at 2048x1536 resolution.. which are about 1.7mb and 0.7mb in size respectively. TIFF mode, while lossless, are too huge even if u're using a 128mb memory card. The 'RAW-enlarged' modes are only useful if u're gonna print at sizes bigger than A4.

Shooting freehand at 10x zoom requires very stable hands and brightly lit subjects, otherwise many pics would probably turn out blur.. Things that may help are.. using the largest aperture (F2.8), switching to higher ISO (200), using tables and walls to help stabalise, etc.. Best of course if to bring a tripod along.. :)

It's very dependent on individuals how stable their hands are.. mine not very stable.. so even when shooting freehand at 3-4x optical zoom, i generally avoid shutter speeds less than 1/50 sec.. If i have a 10x zoom, guess i'll probably avoid speeds less than 1/100 sec.

To kahheng

Thanks for your info. I really appreciate the afford that u put in to ans my question. Thanks again.
One more question: If you are using 10x Zoom w/o a tripode, since c730 does not have IS, how bad is the image for a non-experience photographer?

To SianZronG

I am sorry about my 101 question, but as I am new in this field and I am picking up slowly, i hope that you don't mind my question. Anyway thanks to your advice.

To revenant

Thanks to your advice.

Anyway thanks to all of you. I really feel that I am in a family of "olympus fans"

Regards
Kenneth

it's ok.... you want i can meet you and let you have a go at my camera... better still go for seed every mth then really can see many cameras.....

To kahheng

First of all, you'd have to appreciate the amazing optical zoom range a 10x zoom camera affords you.

On the 730, the 'equivalent' 35mm lens would be 38mm-380mm.

Now, have you ever seen the photographers who cover soccer or other sports events who shoot with VERY LONG lenses?

Almost none of them ever handhold their lenses (perhaps more these days in the era of Canon IS teles though), especially for evening games.

The reason is that the longer the lens, the harder it becomes to hold steady.

Their is a simple rule of thumb when it comes to determining what shutter speed to shoot at without introducing bad camera shake (this is applicable to most people)

Divide the focal length of the lens by the shutter speed.

At maximum tele, the 730 lens is equivalent to about a 380mm tele. So your minimum shutter speed should be at least 1/380 s or faster.

This is true too for the shorter focal lengths.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by kahheng

There is a simple rule of thumb when it comes to determining what shutter speed to shoot at without introducing bad camera shake (this is applicable to most people)

Divide the focal length of the lens by the shutter speed.

At maximum tele, the 730 lens is equivalent to about a 380mm tele. So your minimum shutter speed should be at least 1/380 s or faster.

This is true too for the shorter focal lengths.

Please note that I am talking about a safe rule for HANDHELD photography. If you're using a tripod, of course, slower speeds are usually no problem.

Originally posted by kahheng

Please note that I am talking about a safe rule for HANDHELD photography. If you're using a tripod, of course, slower speeds are usually no problem.

I know that CA problem is very serious in C730. My friend who has a C700 say that all his picture taking under sunlight has this CA problem. I search the web and find out that CA can actually be reduce through use a UV filter. Anyone have try it before?

heh go olympus singapore showroom to try lor... bring or borrow a SM card...

Originally posted by denizenx
heh go olympus singapore showroom to try lor... bring or borrow a SM card...

Where is it???

Where is it???
SmartMedia. Bring your own SmartMedia memory cards so you can take some pictures at the showroom and view them on your own PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.