Request For Tips For Friend's Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
A good friend getting married soon, its going to be a buffet lunch wedding event. He hired a professional, but I requested to help him take some photos too and being friend, he agreed, don't think he mind, after all to him, its free photos.

My agenda is to gain some experience before I shoot solo for another friend's wedding next year (not getting paid). At the same time I don't want to be Uncle Bob and affect the professional's work or confidence, I read about some pros feeling insecure when another photographer shows up with a big lens.

I will be trying to get as much shots as I could for my own practise but will only provide prints to my friend after seeing the album from the pro, because I don't want to duplicate the same shots as the pro and I don't wanna rob his worth.

Please kindly advise what to look out for and what not to do.

Should I be strapping around two cameras? I was thinking one with 17-55 2.8 and flash, and another with a 85mm 1.8 prime.

Should I be even bringing two cameras in the first place?

I guess the pro won't mind other people shooting during the toasting, couple march in, solemnisation, etc. But when the pro does the table shots, should I be following around? I would like to but at the same time I don't wanna be too 'extra'.

I also donno will the pro be alone or assisted/seconded. The wedding day photographer is also from same studio where my friend does their bridal shoot. My friend paid $800. Can you advise commonly at this price range what shots will the pro be providing for buffet lunch?

I am asking because if he only shoots at the restaurant only, I was thinking after the event end in the afternoon we could go for posed shots at a nearby location.

2947568868_9a51c04b91_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have stopped doing AD photography since my younger days since my old bones cant get me out of bed early enough but this is what i have to offer.

If you were to ask me... nothing is more irritating when you are trying to work and someone rubs in. Think of a Car Mechanic at work. He's trying to disgnose to the car problem while people on the side are trying to distract him.

If you want to shoot, i suggest that you keep it low key. When you meet the photographer, explain your situation in advance to him. Most photographers are nice people and they are willing to share. In addition, when he is composing the people/ crowd and asking people to look at his camera, dont jump in after he fires the camera and asking people to look at yours. Let him do his job and be in control.

As for your lenses, you may want to bring 2 camera bodies but use only 1. The 17 55mm would be the prefect lens for this. The 85 mm is too close for any portraiture, unless like a 2nd photographer, you intend to snipe your subject from afar. In any cases, the poses wont be nice anyway (imagine having all the shots of people looking away from your camera).

Bring plenty of batteries and make sure your flash is working well. You may need to bounce the flash off the ceiling or use some of the flash modifier like Whaletail or Lambency Thingy. Avoid harsh shadows. If you have a wide angle, throw in a couple of such shots, i.e from table top view upwards when pple are doing the "yum seng".

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I would suggest you to capture shots with a different view. As a second photographer you have the space to be creative. Most importantly join in the fun and enjoy.

take a look at this thread
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=428947

Please read very very carefully
probably what u have mention above bcomes invalid.. I mind other flashing away as if they are the official, Sorry to sound authoritative but if you are the main.. u really dun wan any one flash to spoilt your own shot.

please stay away from the main while u can... too many a time Either that uncle Bob or Cousin ginny is in my shoot standing directly opposite me when their "Pro Camera" and worst is . They dun understand what is move away.

Too many thing watch out for already.. it already a almost impossible to get everyone to be organise and there will be always someone be the pain in the A^^

I have stopped doing AD photography since my younger days since my old bones cant get me out of bed early enough but this is what i have to offer.

If you were to ask me... nothing is more irritating when you are trying to work and someone rubs in. Think of a Car Mechanic at work. He's trying to disgnose to the car problem while people on the side are trying to distract him.

If you want to shoot, i suggest that you keep it low key. When you meet the photographer, explain your situation in advance to him. Most photographers are nice people and they are willing to share. In addition, when he is composing the people/ crowd and asking people to look at his camera, dont jump in after he fires the camera and asking people to look at yours. Let him do his job and be in control.

As for your lenses, you may want to bring 2 camera bodies but use only 1. The 17 55mm would be the prefect lens for this. The 85 mm is too close for any portraiture, unless like a 2nd photographer, you intend to snipe your subject from afar. In any cases, the poses wont be nice anyway (imagine having all the shots of people looking away from your camera).

Bring plenty of batteries and make sure your flash is working well. You may need to bounce the flash off the ceiling or use some of the flash modifier like Whaletail or Lambency Thingy. Avoid harsh shadows. If you have a wide angle, throw in a couple of such shots, i.e from table top view upwards when pple are doing the "yum seng".

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanx, I appreciate much. :) Yeah, I got some flash modifers.

I would suggest you to capture shots with a different view. As a second photographer you have the space to be creative. Most importantly join in the fun and enjoy.

Indeed thats what I am planning to do. Somehow I answered my own questions when I put it to words. :)

take a look at this thread
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=428947

Please read very very carefully
probably what u have mention above bcomes invalid.. I mind other flashing away as if they are the official, Sorry to sound authoritative but if you are the main.. u really dun wan any one flash to spoilt your own shot.

please stay away from the main while u can... too many a time Either that uncle Bob or Cousin ginny is in my shoot standing directly opposite me when their "Pro Camera" and worst is . They dun understand what is move away.

Too many thing watch out for already.. it already a almost impossible to get everyone to be organise and there will be always someone be the pain in the A^^

Didn't you read what I wrote? I mentioned a few times in my post that I specifically try to not hamper the pro.

Yes I read that thread and I am in agreement with some of the guys there, its not going to happen in today's context. The AD pro got to be realistic that photography is a very very popular hobby and that hobby is getting very affordable. The frustration is his and he should deal with it if he is PRO, instead of bringing it to his client's guest.

As a fellow photographer I understand that is why I am asking for tips here.

Both Jace and you had mentioned the same issue in your answer, but Jace gives a helpful answer and I like him immediately. You gave an ego answer and bring your frustration to my thread.

Sorry to sound authoritative in my reply, I treat people how they treat me.

i shoot a as a second shooter too..at the beginning of the event i told the official photographer if i am getting in his way pls let me know ...i will be glad to move away;) since i am not pay , i will not want to spoilt his shot

like other say stay low key and capture the shot that the official photographer dun ...sometime you may get even better shot who know and your friend will be glad that you are there or else all those moment will not be capture ...enjoy your shoot:)

i shoot a as a second shooter too..at the beginning of the event i told the official photographer if i am getting in his way pls let me know ...i will be glad to move away;) since i am not pay , i will not want to spoilt his shot

like other say stay low key and capture the shot that the official photographer dun ...sometime you may get even better shot who know and your friend will be glad that you are there or else all those moment will not be capture ...enjoy your shoot:)

Yeah, I will take your advise and what Jace said. I will talk to the photographer first. In this case I probably will bring only one camera and one lens. No point lugging gear.

I think TS got the point.

Anyway, kudos for him for trying to find out more information. Takes guts more than anything else.

Anyway, I think Luval, Perspective-Act, got very valid points too. We are all here to share. Its sometimes hard for words to replace actual feelings and words may sound cold when instead its warm.

TS, i think for the gears wise, bring what you need to bring. Make your own judgement, dont let anyone influence you. A Pro makes everything look easy but he has gone through the hard knocks.

Good luck.

Put it this way who never start as a 2PG you dont jump out of the well as a main PG don't you??? As most of the advice given stay low, avoid using flash. Seriously i thought as a 2PG you get the chance to be creative & at the same time challenge yourself you can do better than that $1000 PG standing infront of you.

To Sjack:
Take all the advice & have a smashing day at your friend's Wedding..Remember to post some pics ya.

Regards.
Cohen

Regards.
Cohen

Last edited:
Put it this way who never start as a 2PG you dont jump out of the well as a main PG don't you??? As most of the advice given stay low, avoid using flash. Seriously i thought as a 2PG you get the chance to be creative & at the same time challenge yourself you can do better than that $1000 PG standing infront of you.

To Sjack:
Take all the advice & have a smashing day at your friend's Wedding..Remember to post some pics ya.

Regards.
Cohen

Regards.
Cohen

Thanx, great point.

I would say besides trying various techniques, capture the stuff that moves you emotionally. Because you already know you friend, you are in a better position to capture such shots.

For table shots, the pro's main concern is that guests may be distracted when they see another camera, whether a compact or SLR. It can be helpful to the pro to minimise such distractions. But at the end of the day, the pro has the onus to get everybody's attention even if there are other cameras hovering around.

Was at a particular wedding a few years back 7 or 8 friends of the couple were shooting with DSLRs, some with external flash. I suppose nowadays when aunties also have DSLRs, the pro just have to deal with it by just focusing on getting his shot than worrying about this and that. The pro has to be able to adapt to the situation, there is only so much that can be controlled.

I would say besides trying various techniques, capture the stuff that moves you emotionally. Because you already know you friend, you are in a better position to capture such shots.

For table shots, the pro's main concern is that guests may be distracted when they see another camera, whether a compact or SLR. It can be helpful to the pro to minimise such distractions. But at the end of the day, the pro has the onus to get everybody's attention even if there are other cameras hovering around.

Was at a particular wedding a few years back 7 or 8 friends of the couple were shooting with DSLRs, some with external flash. I suppose nowadays when aunties also have DSLRs, the pro just have to deal with it by just focusing on getting his shot than worrying about this and that. The pro has to be able to adapt to the situation, there is only so much that can be controlled.

I guess I won't be joining and thus disturbing his table shots, but I will be informing him in advance that I will join in on 2 or 3 tables where our buddies are seated because these will have more meaning to us and the groom.

Status
Not open for further replies.