Reputable shops selling DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostRecon

Jan 25, 2011
Central
Hi guys! I'm new to CS.

I'm going to get my first DSLR and was wondering if there are any recommendations from the seniors here on where I can possibly get a new one from?

I went through the forum threads and find that I can't really get any sufficient info on this topic. Maybe I didn't search through thoroughly enough, haha:bsmilie:

Trying to decide on whether to get a first hand or second hand camera, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and happy chinese new year to all.;)

Have you visited price guides? All the reputable stores are listed there and prices of cam and lenses too!

hi, there is a price guide for canon and nikon in the price guide folder which also lists some retailers.
have a look through there.
what camera are you looking at btw?

Yup, I did went through that list but noticed that the guide was updated up to Dec 2010. Not too sure if those price range are still valid for this year. Hopefully, the differences don't fluctuate too greatly.;p

@Alpina: I'm looking at either a Nikon D300, D300s or D3100. I think the D300s only retails without the camera kit, just the body. I have a friend who recommend that I go for the D3100 as its more for entry level users like myself.

However, most of my friends tell me to go straight for D300s and pick up the pace from there. Now, I'm spoiled for choices :bsmilie:

I'm also looking towards evening / night photography as a starter btw.

Yup, I did went through that list but noticed that the guide was updated up to Dec 2010. Not too sure if those price range are still valid for this year. Hopefully, the differences don't fluctuate too greatly.;p
Well, to keep the list up-to-date requires the contribution of members (like yourself... ~hint hint~) getting hold of some quotes from the stores, and sending a PM to the CS member who is maintaining the pricelist, so that the prices can be updated :)

@Alpina: I'm looking at either a Nikon D300, D300s or D3100. I think the D300s only retails without the camera kit, just the body. I have a friend who recommend that I go for the D3100 as its more for entry level users like myself.

However, most of my friends tell me to go straight for D300s and pick up the pace from there. Now, I'm spoiled for choices :bsmilie:

it's good to be spolit for choices, go for something futureproof if you can afford it else you'll see yourself upgrading pretty soon.
i have seen beginners with 5DMII & 7D, nothing wrong with that.
for evening/night photography, you prefer protraits or landscapes?

I think whether to go for a "semi-pro" DSLR like D300s, or entry-level model like D3100, depends on your budget and how big a camera you are comfortable with carrying.
There's no point buying the greatest camera out there, if it is so tough and solid and HEAVY that you end up leaving it at home all the time.

Get what is comfortable for you, price- and size-wise.

The other brands (eg. Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc) also make very decent DSLRs...

@Alpina & ZerocoolAstra

My budget is fairly normal for a DSLR I guess, I've set a max of $2100 for the body and around $400 - $600 for an appropriate lens for low light shots. Going to start small first and build up slowly. Lots of my friends have caution me repeatedly not to get overly enthusiastic on buying too many kits, lens, or stuffs. Seems like the basic fundamentals and simple setups are more important than all the fancy gadgets.

And yeah, good point on the physical handling of the camera body itself. I guess I'm pretty ok with regards to the weight of the camera body.

And yah, I'm more towards landscape photography. :D

just a point of advise, do keep aside some cash for a tripod.
very important for night/landscape photography.
you may also like to check out some wide angle lenses for your genre.
cheers.

@Alpina:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder! Totally forgotten about it :confused: ... better write that one point down as well. :cool:

just a point of advise, do keep aside some cash for a tripod.
very important for night/landscape photography.
you may also like to check out some wide angle lenses for your genre.
cheers.

@Alpina:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder! Totally forgotten about it :confused: ... better write that one point down as well. :cool:

i think even before getting tripod n more lenses, do seriously consider getting a Dry Cabinet or at lease a dry box. and a camera bag for bring ur cam out for ur shoot.

Get a good beginner zoom lens, like a 18-135mm and a portrait lens, like a 35mm prime. Practice like heck on these lenses until you hit a wall with what your vision wants to do but your equipment can't, then buy new lenses.

You may need a tripod if you like low light or night photography. Forget about a heavy tripod; a light but sturdy tripod is all you need in SG.

You can buy a Diesel backpack instead of a "camera bag" so you don't announce to the world that you have an expensive camera.

Forget about filters for now; they will cut your light 2 stops. Get a lens hood instead.

BTW, the camera straps that come with the camera are heck on the neck. It's up to you how you want to deal with this. Me, I just use a "locally-made" R-strap. :)

You can also make your own dry box to your own specs.

Last edited:
I dont think that you are able to conclude a certain genre of photography you intend to move into now. Who doesn't like to capture nice landscapes ? Have you tried other genres of photography such as Macro?

I dont think that you are able to conclude a certain genre of photography you intend to move into now. Who doesn't like to capture nice landscapes ? Have you tried other genres of photography such as Macro?

by the way, there's more to landscapes than just shooting away at some trees and leaves. if TS wants to explore landscapes, then let him be :bsmilie:

no point telling him "go for macro!" or "go for portraits!". let TS try this genre first then move on from there :D

Yea... I love Macro Photography... I usually do more than that till the extend of super macro photography... But it requires a lot of patience...

@Alpina & ZerocoolAstra

My budget is fairly normal for a DSLR I guess, I've set a max of $2100 for the body and around $400 - $600 for an appropriate lens for low light shots. Going to start small first and build up slowly. Lots of my friends have caution me repeatedly not to get overly enthusiastic on buying too many kits, lens, or stuffs. Seems like the basic fundamentals and simple setups are more important than all the fancy gadgets.

And yeah, good point on the physical handling of the camera body itself. I guess I'm pretty ok with regards to the weight of the camera body.

And yah, I'm more towards landscape photography. :D

With the budget that you have, can get a pretty decent cam. Get the cam you are most comfy with. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.