(Repost) Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortex

Sep 6, 2004
SG / LDN
www.exitmusik.com
I've decided to repost this image as things kinda got outta hand in the original post & has since been locked.

Once again, i would like to invite honest comments and critiques.

Kit, if you want to comment again on why it's a 'snapshot' to you, do give a more detailed reason like the others have suggested. I have no hard feelings at all :bsmilie:

I have chosen this pic to post first as it's my pick of the lot of 4 images, as i feel it tells a story.
417446656_50fc4db39d.jpg

I have 4 images posted originally...u can C&C them individually based on #1, 2, 3 and 4, if you guys want.

I received constructive comments for #4, click here to read more.

This is really hard work as he pulled the 2 huge bucket and nonetheless, I love the water trail mark on the ground. ;)

Eh vortex.. I need to know. Is the man really like that, or did you squash the photo a little?

Eh vortex.. I need to know. Is the man really like that, or did you squash the photo a little?

yeah it is really like that...i didnt do anything to the pic other than toning and dodge / burn.

maybe it's the lens distortion? :dunno:

interesting subject. good idea on using the 'gateway' in the frame as a frame in the frame.

however, compositionally speaking, it's rather heavy at the bottom half where all the attention
gets trapped, and pushed to the right side, leaving a huge chunk of 'non-performing' space
around.

417446656_50fc4db39d_edit.jpg

it's always good to leave a good amount of space around the subject to convey the
environment but the proportion of space to subject here is not in balance. vertically, there's
too much space on top. horizontally the space on the left does not balance with the rather
squashed allowance on the right. i know you're making provisions for the stick sticking out on
the left, but i think it's not quite essential an element to give that much attention to.

417446656_50fc4db39d_edit2.jpg

for a scene like this, it will be good to move in close to the subject. shooting this at higher than
eye level pointing down from behind the subject, especially with a wide angle lens to exaggerate
the movement, putting the direction of movement smack in the centre pointing out into the sea
would create a much more powerful frame. this is especially so when the title is 'Pull,' you'll want
dominate the frame with the action instead of things around.

Wa, eikin really very detailed. Anyways from my view, it's ok la, just that I would shift the perspective a bit more to the right to exclude the funny thing sticking out from the left side.

I don't really like #2 of your series though. Main reason is a lot of the details cannot be seen.. So while I know what's going on, I can't really visualise the moment there, if you get what I mean. Could be because of the small size though.

pic is a bit busy. i like simple pics.
my 2 cents.

I think this is good, and while I agreed the juxtaposition can be improved I do not think it is possible and as most times we only hv split second to react and to capture the "decisive moment"...
For me this element is very-well captured here ! The clouds are great as well and it complemented the subject well.

what i think here is that...

if you want to show happy ppl, showing someone smiling doesnt help.

if you want to show someone pulling something, then this pict, as a standalone doesnt help.
There is very little 'tension of pulling' in the pict. I was in fact wondering if you had
a closer shot or any shot showing the man pulling those things and going thru the gate/door.
I think, you lost part of the 'story' already. Then some ppl will say you snapshot.

what's snapshooting anyway? we all need to snap, to shoot.

Thanks Eikin, Khairi, Betazone & Casey for your comments and feedback.

Esp eikin for the detailed explanation and examples even!
I will definitely have a 2nd thought the next time i encounter a scene like this.
I'll probably have to move in closer considering im using a prime lens compact camera.

Thanks again....i hope others have also benefit from this discussion as much as i have.
:)

welcomed vortex, happy to share my personal views also :)

knowing limitations in human reactions, it's understandable also that one do not always have the luxury of the right position, though being at the right place at the right time. but that's what makes pictures that qualify as keepers so wonderful as well :)

Heh..i hope im not pushing this. :D

For purpose of discussion, i thought i might as well go back to the picture and do some cropping to see if i can really get a better picture like what you guys have suggested.

I have given it 2 crops for you guys to comment on :devil:
(click to view large size ones)

You left the funny building on the left in!

hahahaa i dont want to lose the planks any more lah :bsmilie:

does it really take the attention away?
considering there's the planks and water stains left behind leading into the main subject already, which is the guy pulling the barrels. :dunno:

Don't know leh, I just like taking out things that I didn't mean to photog.. =D Plus crop a little little bit only! Or at least PS it away, shouldn't be too hard.

Not so sure whether it's actually distracting or it's just me :think:, let's have a poll! Just kidding.

Don't know leh, I just like taking out things that I didn't mean to photog.. =D Plus crop a little little bit only! Or at least PS it away, shouldn't be too hard.

Not so sure whether it's actually distracting or it's just me :think:, let's have a poll! Just kidding.

Hmm PS-ing may be a good idea but if its film, the image is already in it. Heh.. how to clear off?

But if you didn't say that, I think I really missed that out. Haha... Beside, I don't like to PS as I want to leave it original. At least to me lah. :bsmilie: (You can say I'm lazy) :confused:

Different views, I guess. Get your point indeed. =D

Wa, you really like that swing ar! Hehehe. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.