Reporter posing as "victim" to get news here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeskywan

Feb 13, 2007
To all and most impt to MODs. Earlier on there was a post by a girl who was claimed she was a victim of sexual harassment by a photographer. However she was very vague and she kept asking of anyone has similar encounters. Then a girl claiming to be a reporter for the ST came in and asked the same thing.

I replied and said that I hope the reporter is not coming in here, spread a rumor and hope that the gossip we make will yield some "news" or worse some gossip that she is using to report as the truth.

I cannot find the thread and believe it might have been deleted. However I received a pm from this reporter and want to share it with everyone. Afterall I have nothing to hide and I think this reporter shouldn't too. Hence I think I should share her intentions with everyone.

Here it is.

From COCOCRUNCH

"Hi,

I read your comment, and yes, some parts are true but some parts are not. I just thought it might be worth it to try seeing if anyone responds to the thread because I need more information for the story.

But I'm not doing this to "try my luck" or to get something out of no news as you suggested.

I started out writing a story for Urban simply about girls who arrange for photoshoots online and found out from an interviewee that such things do happen.

I had to brief my editor and that's when the article got transferred to the Sunday Times, as I made clear in one of my earlier posts.

I understand that all of these seems suspicious but all I'm trying to do is help the girls that I've spoken to and find out if there are any more of such girls. If you do have any information, I would greatly appreciate it if you share it with me.

But seeing your post, I can tell that you don't think this is something credible. However, it might be wise to find out the facts first before mouthing off in the future.

Thank you for replying to the thread.

Have a good day.
Forward Message"

To cococrunch,

I appreciate your good intentions but then coming in here and being vague about it and riding on a thread by someone who doesn't seem to know what she is talking about... that is not going to get you any trust here from the photographers.

Please don't be mistaken, we are not trying to cover each other's dirty secrets. In fact if you look at the posts made here.... the offender will be lynched by some zealous photographers here before being handed to the police. Simply because such things cannot be tolerated as they give photographers a bad name.

However there are better ways of getting news than the way you just did. Also I make no apologies for "mouthing out" the way I did, afterall... I did nothing wrong and yes I see no credibility in your thread.... You claim to be a reporter... but I and many others can also claim to be reporters... And pming me is the worst thing to do.... it only makes me trust you even less.... afterall should you not make public the appeal u made to me for information instead of making it look like a "shut up if you dont know anything" Pm

If the reporter thing is confirmed, this reporter should be lynched.

If it is true, I'm sure there will be some 'covering up' happening in the future.

Besides, haven't journalists been known to go to much more deceptive or cunning ends to get leads or a storey?

posing and baiting .. that is unethical. :thumbsd:

Already started from a position of pre-conceived bias, what's the likelihood of a fair and objective article?

Maybe the Sunday Times should publish an article on Journalistic subterfuge......

What the mass media wants is viewership... They care much less about the reporting the truth. :thumbsd:

this is the st's attempt at muckraking? interesting choice of words with the use of the term mouthing off. For the reporter who's reading this: it has happened on quite a few occassions that someone comes in here crying rape and the masses here start to crucify the named accused without knowing all the facts. What's worse is the "victims" or their well meaning friends coming here and publicizing the incident without thinking that doing so could potentially damage whatever case they have against the pep assuming he's guilty. all this with the good intention of not wanting others to share the same fate as their victim friend. without thinking about how they might be destroying an innocent person's reputation or making their friend the victim (assuming its a legit case) relive the memory of the incident. Your coming here and baiting people to post is completely wrong because you're biasing the audience into giving you the response you're looking for. And that ain't impartial reporting at all. Like wow has this place turned into hwz where reporters come and snoop around looking for stories?

For lawyers reading this; Does singapore have a rape shield law for rape vicitims?

i thought that journalists have to follow a strict code of conduct ? what happened to it ? about being honest, identifying who you are , your intentions ?

but journalist seems to stir things here in CS which is very unethical. i too learnt journalism, and yes, the person who is posing is very unethical in his/her work.

i'll say this though : people who seem to be frauds and blacksheeps are not tolerated in CS. unlike HWZ, CS is much more relaxed and honest. we do have blacksheeps occasionaly, kids who play punk. however, i dont think any CSers would risk their life's worth of equipment and savings and reputation doing something like what the reporter says.

i do know and have heard of such things, but they responded via IRC, friendster and newspaper ads, not via CS

What is this statement esp with the one in bold? Are you shouting at the moderators?

Anyway the thread was deleted by the TS himself/herself, so what has it got to do with mod :nono:

and the purpose of this thread?

No I am not shouting at the Mods. My apologies, I am not well versed in internet manners. I simply type MOD because it is an acronym.

I started this thread because I received what I deem a pm from a person who claims to be an journalist, who admitted that she was baiting for information and telling me to shut it.

Well out of civil mindness, I just thought I would inform everyone and esp the Moderators that reporters are coming here and baiting for information using such methods. At least now we know the TS of that thread and the reporter are most likely the same person. If you as moderator feels that such an thread to inform should not exist, then my apologies and I will remove it.

I think the editor of Urban or Sunday Times will be very happy to hear of their journalist's conduct.

What is ethics? Seeking or forging a juicy story out does not violate the law as there are creative ways to phrase a column. But it is a good thing something got leaked here and I guess the so called reporter made the wrong move replying a pm - which you made public. A pm will not protect her rights because there are no disclaimers protecting the message.

But ST has the toughest shield and the best sword. It is hard for laymen to fight them with straw hats.

you guys gotta chill cut the reporter some slack.

she dint murder anyone right?
or hurt anyone.
i learnt journalism too, sometimes you have to investigate to find the truth, you just cant find it like that you know.
its not like shes someone whos taking pictures.
she had good intentions, but maybe it went the wrong way.
but to crucify someone like its the end of the world is a little bit too much of exaggeration don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.