Repairing Flex Cable of Tamron 17-50mm no-VR

Bosty

Jul 28, 2007
Kovan
I recently opened up my Tamron lens after the zoom barrel got stuck after a hiking trip. I got that settled by tightening a loose screw.

However, in the process, i ripped one of the flex cables. I'm guessing it's the aperature cable. When i put everything back tgt, just to try out what wasn't working, i would experience Err01 after taking a photo. (the photo does get saved to the mem card).

IMG_0999.jpg

Just the starting phase of opening the lens

IMG_1001.jpg

The damage flex cable on the right

IMG_1002.jpg

The damage flex cable. With the loose screw giving the zoom barrel problem just beside it

Reading around the forum, i think im gonna have to buy a replacement flex cable. But i dread opening the whole lens again, because the screws are so tight! Is there any way i could tape the severed cable?
And how do i confirm what cable do i need to get?

Tamron Service Centre

Ya...I think bringing down to the Tamron service centre would be advisable...let the pros do it & pay some $$$...peace of mind.Cheers!

Or you could contact this guy called fatigue in Clubsnap - he deals with camera repairs as well.

The replacement cable cost U$11.00 (free shipping), but the fix will require some dismantling job
Thanks i just saw a couple of them of ebay :)
How do i identify wad kind of cable it is? (just match them visually?)

And do u have any tips on removing the stubborn screws?

Why don't just send to fatigue and get a good job done. He is the Chief Engineer in CS if you are not aware

Why don't just send to fatigue and get a good job done. He is the Chief Engineer in CS if you are not aware

Haha didn't realise that! I Would love to! but i'm currently overseas (and i dun think i will be back anytime soon) >.<

Or you could contact this guy called fatigue in Clubsnap - he deals with camera repairs as well.

Thanks

Thanks but I'm not that good :bsmilie:

That cable is for aperture. Just search: " Tamron flex 17-50 aperture"

Use a good and the correct screwdriver.
Most of the lens parts are plastic so not much stubborn screw.

But because of plastic parts, how you tighten the screws, how you return the parts will affect the alignment.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks but I'm not that good :bsmilie:

That cable is for aperture. Just search: " Tamron flex 17-50 aperture"

But because of plastic parts, how you tighten the screws, how you return the parts will affect the alignment.

Yeah I agree, he is the best. :) The lady in red. Haha :bsmilie:

I think my set my screwdrivers dun fit. Starting to wear of the screwheads a little already. U got any screwdriver sets to recommend and wad i should be looking for?

Was reading online that i need a JIS screwdriver? and do i need to get those in sets? sorry for having so many qn!

Last edited:
I think my set my screwdrivers dun fit. Starting to wear of the screwheads a little already. U got any screwdriver sets to recommend and wad i should be looking for?

Was reading online that i need a JIS screwdriver? and do i need to get those in sets? sorry for having so many qn!

I don't recommend the screwdrivers I'm using, they're a bit expensive for 1-2 times usage ;)

As long as you use the correct size, it should work

Get these 2 sizes
PH0 and PH000

You can also try something like these:
Applicable if you can't get the cables but needs some soldering skills ( pardon me for being a bit show 0ff ;) )

Use a very thin wire and solder to reconnect the cables

DSCN8911.jpg

DSCN8912-1.jpg

Last edited: