Repair or replace drying unit in electric dry box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLL

Apr 7, 2006
The drying unit in my electric dry box is not working well anymore. The humidity inside is now the same as outside.

Is it possible to repair or replace the drying unit and does anyone know the price of the drying unit alone?

Type of the dry box? Picture? Description? We are photographers, not mind readers :bsmilie:

The drying unit in my electric dry box is not working well anymore. The humidity inside is now the same as outside.

Is it possible to repair or replace the drying unit and does anyone know the price of the drying unit alone?

You must weigh the cost of repair against the price of new unit.

Thanks.

My dry box is the $120 - $150 type. Not sure what brand...

But my box is getting quite full. Was thinking of getting a bigger tower design tall cabinet type one. But dunno if it is worth it. Maybe cheaper to get more of the smaller boxes..

If after using several years and the dehumidifying unit malfunctions, i'll just buy a new dry cabinet.

if you need a bigger unit for your expanding collection of equipment
then just buy a new one

sell the old one for really cheap and let the new owner repair it

i just changed the dehumidifier unit of my dry cabinet.
brought to their office at Tagore Lane with the receipt, got it changed on the spot.
according to the technician there, this is a common problem with faulty dehumidifier for AD models.
:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Thanks for the tips.

:)

But it seems that the bigger electric dry boxes cost a lot.... Up to $1k.... The small cheaper boxes only cost about $100. And the $1k boxes don't look 10 times bigger or better

Is it worth it to but a big box or many smaller ones?

And is the drying unit in the bigger boxes better quality or higher capacity?

Because I got 2 small boxes. Now that 1 is not working I transfer the more valuable stuff into the box that still works. If get 1 big box and it stops working then I got no backup.

Any opinions?

if the capacity for the 1k dry box and 100 dollar one doesn't make any proportional sense, i'll get the smaller one, mainly you can adjust to your needs.

and if the dehumid unit fails it wouldn't be dooms day too... (like having two fridge to one fridge)

but there might be some problem with space efficiencies wise la...

You can dismantle the dehumidifying unit and bring it to Tagore Lane (if it's DigiCabi) and let them check. Mine stopped working in the beginning of this year, I think, but the guy said it's not the dehumidifier unit that's spoilt... it's just the power adaptor. And he offered me a new adaptor for $15. Cheap cheap!

Or if you want even cheaper (which is what I did), you can head down to Sim Lim Tower and hunt for an adaptor unit that gives the same current and voltage, and you gotta make sure the plug head is the same too. Abit more work, if u ask me, but I got mine for $8... definitely worth the $7 saved, to me... =)

I have managed to fix my box.

I called the agent Rodex in AMK. And the cost of repair was $70+. They say they don't replace the drying unit - they just repair it. They also said that the desiccant does not need to be replaced. Just unscrew the drying unit and bring there.

So after I unscrewed the unit and looked at it I noticed that a piece of wire inside was broken.

I took the unit apart and apparently what happens is that a heater element runs through a pack of desiccant which surrounds a heat sensitive coil. When heat is applied to dry the desiccant the coil contracts and exerts pressure to pull against a spring and opens a flap to face the desiccant to the outside, the moisture then is baked out of the desiccant and the moisture escapes to the outside. After a while the heat stops and then once the heat sensitive coil cools down it looses it strength and the the spring pulls the flaps closed and faces the desiccant to the inside where it can collect more moisture.

The wire that broke was the wire that holds the heat sensitive coil to the flap. I just replaced the wire with a wire from a wire tie after I strip the plastic off (the type that ties a bunch a wires together when you get a new electrical appliance). This looks like a weak point of this design as the loop of the metal wire keeps moving against the metal loops in the flap. After a while friction will cause the wire to wear thin and the spring force acting against the wire at all times will just snap the wire. Repeatedly heating and cooling the thin wire also makes it more brittle... That's why every time the dry box goes through a cycle there will be this soft spring slipping sound. That sound is the friction between the wires rubbing against each other.

There are also a load of electronics to regulate the humidity setting. Lucky that was not what broke - dunno how to fix electronics..

Status
Not open for further replies.