Repair of vintage radio in Singapore

gremlin

Nov 15, 2002
www.pixelpixie.biz
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any places in SG to repair vintage AM radios? I have a US made 1950s Sears and Roebuck radio which I stupidly put 220V of power into it (it is 110V) and now it does not work.

Appreciate any inputs!

Little India around Dickson Road and Weld Rd (or Upper Weld Rd not sure) just walk around there .... there are a few shops that specialize in repairing and selling old radios

Little India around Dickson Road and Weld Rd (or Upper Weld Rd not sure) just walk around there .... there are a few shops that specialize in repairing and selling old radios

Thanks Ed, I will try to check them out.

Just remembered, opposite Amara Hotel in Tg Pagar area HDB area ground floor shops there is a shop that repairs stuff like this ..... they take in alot of stuff from Karang Guni men to fix for re-selling

Anyway AM radio is VERY EASY to fix ... let me know if you want to DIY

share some photos of its insides ?

Last edited:
Just remembered, opposite Amara Hotel in Tg Pagar area HDB area ground floor shops there is a shop that repairs stuff like this ..... they take in alot of stuff from Karang Guni men to fix for re-selling

Anyway AM radio is VERY EASY to fix ... let me know if you want to DIY

share some photos of its insides ?

Replied you via PM

Hey Gremlin,

Thought I'd follow up on the status of your radio. I got myself in the same situation, except I killed 2 items i painstakingly hand carried back - a vintage circa 1960s panasonic radio and a crosley turntable. Now I'm at a loss and desperately looking for a reliable person to repair them. How was your experience? Did you go to the shop opposite Amara? I'm thinking of bringing my babies there.

Hey Gremlin,

Thought I'd follow up on the status of your radio. I got myself in the same situation, except I killed 2 items i painstakingly hand carried back - a vintage circa 1960s panasonic radio and a crosley turntable. Now I'm at a loss and desperately looking for a reliable person to repair them. How was your experience? Did you go to the shop opposite Amara? I'm thinking of bringing my babies there.

i'm met with the same situation! T_T stupidly put a 220V into 120V Crosley turntable, anyone can help?

There is a radio repair shop next to Blue Flower Hair Salon in Chinatown. (Walk from the carpark with the dimsum restaurant on the 7th floor, via the 3rd floor walkway, towards OG direction)

Hopefully you've just fried the protective circuit on the power input side and it should be easily replaceable...rather than frying the whole power-control assembly.

There is a radio repair shop next to Blue Flower Hair Salon in Chinatown. (Walk from the carpark with the dimsum restaurant on the 7th floor, via the 3rd floor walkway, towards OG direction)

Hopefully you've just fried the protective circuit on the power input side and it should be easily replaceable...rather than frying the whole power-control assembly.

Thank you so much for your answer! at least its better than some user who are just trying to bump post and not helping at all :)

Thank you so much for your answer! at least its better than some user who are just trying to bump post and not helping at all :)

:bsmilie: kopitiam posts don't boost post counts. What are you, from HWZ Forums?

btw, don't be lazy and look at the previous posts for your answer. Shizuma is nice to give you a specific reply but if you search for it yourself, you can find someone more specific or convenient for you.

And that's some wisdom to start 2014 with! Have a good day!

:bsmilie: kopitiam posts don't boost post counts. What are you, from HWZ Forums?

btw, don't be lazy and look at the previous posts for your answer. Shizuma is nice to give you a specific reply but if you search for it yourself, you can find someone more specific or convenient for you.

And that's some wisdom to start 2014 with! Have a good day!

Hi kei1309, please stick to the topic :)

if you're not willing to help dont go OOT :D

And incase if you don't know, posting here do increase your post count :D

some wisdom for you to start with in 2014 too :D have a good day too!

Last edited:
Thank you for those who help, will bring down to repair later and update you guys about it :D

Hi all, I've bring my turntable to Adrian at Adelphi and his able to repair.

Hi all, I've bring my turntable to Adrian at Adelphi and his able to repair.

HI, I know this is an old thread, but you can go to Alan from Sigma AV at Sim Lim Square level 3. He has been repairing my old amp and tuner. His price is reasonable. If you are using tube equipments, you can go to Frankie at Bencoolen Square (where Burger King is located). He is pretty good also. Hope this helps.

JT