Reno contractors recommendation ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
Folks.. any good reno contractor to recommend ? Read abt some kohyak contractors in some forums. Any small details to look out for ? Thks for all the suggestion in advance :)

poohbear said:
Folks.. any good reno contractor to recommend ? Read abt some kohyak contractors in some forums. Any small details to look out for ? Thks for all the suggestion in advance :)
My cousin's a contractor.. pm me for his contact if keen :)

now if ever there was an oxymoron...

In the contract, go through the list of renovation items LINE BY LINE. Clarify and request for them to elaborate/specify in the contract if you are not sure about anything. have everything documented as far as possible (emails, receipts etc) so it is easier for you to seek recourse via CASE or the courts if necessary.

these guys will always have a schedule of payments, but remember to include in this schedule the necessary work that needs to be completed before payment is disbursed at each stage. Make sure this is done in black and white and countersigned by both you and the contractor's company. request for a recipt each time a partial payment is made.

Also include a clause to cater for tardiness/delays in completion/shoddy workmanship as grounds for withholding payment until the issue in question is resolved.

last piece of advice: micromanage! micromanage! micromanage! there is no such thing as being too anal when dealing with reno contractors!!!!!!!!! slack off and they will bury you and your dog.

GitS said:
now if ever there was an oxymoron...

In the contract, go through the list of renovation items LINE BY LINE. Clarify and request for them to elaborate/specify in the contract if you are not sure about anything. have everything documented as far as possible (emails, receipts etc) so it is easier for you to seek recourse via CASE or the courts if necessary.

these guys will always have a schedule of payments, but remember to include in this schedule the necessary work that needs to be completed before payment is disbursed at each stage. Make sure this is done in black and white and countersigned by both you and the contractor's company. request for a recipt each time a partial payment is made.

Also include a clause to cater for tardiness/delays in completion/shoddy workmanship as grounds for withholding payment until the issue in question is resolved.

last piece of advice: micromanage! micromanage! micromanage! there is no such thing as being too anal when dealing with reno contractors!!!!!!!!! slack off and they will bury you and your dog.

haha thks for your advice .... any good ones to recommend ?

I would reccomend mine, but I think they are bankrupt already :bsmilie:

Sjourn said:
I would reccomend mine, but I think they are bankrupt already :bsmilie:

sjourn :kok: very funny ....... but seriously I'm looking for one reliable one .

how to recommend when all of them WILL give you some form of problem.

Make sure you get those that are registered with RADAC and HDB
Also try to do as little as possible -

less items -> less problem

There are two typrs of CONtractor you can find

1. The real contractor, direct from the source. Cheaper, but you need to do a lot of leg work.

2. Those that show you all nice nice portfolio with portfolios, say they own this own that but in fact they contract out to real contractors, more expensive but you do less work.

Come back, I try to find the real contractor for you.

One of those fanciful renovators that you should not go is Home Success. I ganna cheated for the deposit.;(

i am hesitant to recommend reno contractors. one man's meat is another man's poison.

basic things to look out for. look for one which has been around for long time. for stability 's sake. i choose one which has been for many years while others moved in and out. an idea is to look out for those near your home which you have intimate knowledge. if you can find, it saves time, costs as you will be making many trips there.

avoid my friends/cousins/relatives who are also contractor. avoid. avoid.

insist on proper receipt/s when making deposit/progress payments, etc. good luck.

ask ur neighbours? :think:

Look for Paul Yeo, he is moderator of RENO.com sure can give you some good recommendations and advice.

finish oreadi, can ask him to use his D2X come and take your house, don't know he still want to shoot for free or not?

pb be careful of who you employ as an interior designer also if you intend to find one

1) Try to look for one who can do all the work ie woodwork, plumbing, electrical, etc... this way if anything is wrong, you only need to go after one person and they can't push the blame around ie: when there's damage, " not my workers do one, must be your other contractor......"

2) If possible, deal only with the one who did the sales/quotation/nego with you throughout. Same logic as #1

3) Never release full payment after work complete. Ask for retension fee of maybe 3mths.

4) After complete, get HDB to come and do inspection.

5) Don't just look at their portfolio ( photographs don't tell the full story ), ask to visit homes they have completed ( same type and if possible same type of theme you're looking for ) and talk to the owners.

6) Be careful when dealing with contractors looking for business at viod decks.

7) As reno. is very much base on skills of the workman, ask for the same guys who did those work that you like.

8) If the boss wear yellow boots and is call Phua Choo Kang...........:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Got time for kopi? I'm sure those have done reno can give you more details.

yqt said:
1) Try to look for one who can do all the work ie woodwork, plumbing, electrical, etc... this way if anything is wrong, you only need to go after one person and they can't push the blame around ie: when there's damage, " not my workers do one, must be your other contractor......"

do this only if you have no time to oversee the project and have a lot of money to pay the main con....

ortega said:
maybe you should change your question

Who had a good experience with renovation contractors?

hahaha! then will be the shortest thread in the history of CS...ahahahaha...no replies! ahahaha!

GitS said:
do this only if you have no time to oversee the project and have a lot of money to pay the main con....

Not really. Because the plumber, electrician, etc, is his regular guys, he can press their price, control the work standard, control the work flow/timing, etc.

What I did last time ( and also advise my friends to do ), nego the cost item by item than after the total is out, nego for a futher discount.

that works also, but remember,these guys, after taking one look at where you live, what type of apartment/house/99 year/free hold/area of your property, will already have decided how much they want to make from you so good luck with the bargaining....i kid you not.

we literally saved thousands of dollars finding different guys to do different parts of our renos...

eikin said:
pb be careful of who you employ as an interior designer also if you intend to find one

eikin , u wan to undertake the interior design or not ... let you expand your portfolio lah ... hahahah . .... :bsmilie:

poohbear said:
eikin , u wan to undertake the interior design or not ... let you expand your portfolio lah ... hahahah . .... :bsmilie:
the house will sure come out very nice, but you gonne stay next door, keep your house at show room condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.