Renewing of Spore passport

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all
i have some questions.
1) is it possible to renew my passport (if it still contains the passport size photo) as oppose to making a brand new one? (i have seen 2 new iterations - one with photo scanned in and one with a solid plastic cover page....)

2) how long does it take to renew? (ie do i have to surrender my current one?)

thanks guys. i am a little out of touch with things.

hi all
i have some questions.
1) is it possible to renew my passport (if it still contains the passport size photo) as oppose to making a brand new one? (i have seen 2 new iterations - one with photo scanned in and one with a solid plastic cover page....)

If you renew your passport, they will give you a new biometric one. You can get your passport within a week during off peak season and by applying online, you'll save $10. When your passport is ready, ICA will inform you to collect it in person at their HQ as they need to scan your thumb. Be prepared to spend a few hours there if you collect it on Saturdays :)

For more info, visit http://ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=125&secid=122

Last edited:
1 week? off peak?

1) while they are making the new passport , do i get to use my old one?
2) can i not make a new one? =p could they just stamp at the back pages and extend it for a couple of years?
3) i only have 3 days back home... this 1 week might not work...
4) who has experience renewing at the DC or NYC office?!??! please kindly share

If you renew your passport, they will give you a new biometric one. You can get your passport within a week during off peak season and by applying online, you'll save $10. When your passport is ready, ICA will inform you to collect it in person at their HQ as they need to scan your thumb. Be prepared to spend a few hours there if you collect it on Saturdays :)

For more info, visit http://ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=125&secid=122

thanks bovine

which one is the biometric passport?
is that the one with the hard plastic as the front cover?

1 week? off peak?

1) while they are making the new passport , do i get to use my old one?
2) can i not make a new one? =p could they just stamp at the back pages and extend it for a couple of years?
3) i only have 3 days back home... this 1 week might not work...
4) who has experience renewing at the DC or NYC office?!??! please kindly share

thanks bovine

which one is the biometric passport?
is that the one with the hard plastic as the front cover?

Off peak as in non school holidays. Parents like to make last minute passports for children or themsevles when the school holidays are approaching.

1) While they make a new one ,i believe you can still use your old one cos they did not ask me to surrender mine.

2) No you can't. I asked that question before as i rather extend. According to the lady at the counter,the govt wants everyone to change to biometric eventually.

3) Don't risk making it now. I went to ICA personally with the impression that if i wait,i can get it on the very same day. They don't produce biometric passports in a day. ;p

4) You can call ICA to enquire about renewing yours in the US. Their hotlines are HOT, you got to warm your ears patiently as that is the fastest way to get any ICA related questions answered. :)

I believe they only have one type now...the ugly biometric one. I miss my old passport with grey pages. :(

Last edited:
very nice
thanks for the update
i will probably have to make it in the usa

i have my old grey page passport... (with the actual passport photo glued on to the front page)
ha
good old days

Ya,i had that till late last year. Still prefer that version. :)

Anyway, do give ICA a ring. They might do a special express one for you. U never know :)

Last edited:
1) I do think you can collect in US.
2) If you go ahead and start the process of renewing it in US now via internet, you will be able to get it when u are back during the 3 days....

1) While they make a new one ,i believe you can still use your old one cos they did not ask me to surrender mine.

That's true but do note that your existing passport must still be valid anything from 3 to 6 months depending on which country want to enter while waiting for your new one to be ready.

That's true but do note that your existing passport must still be valid anything from 3 to 6 months depending on which country want to enter while waiting for your new one to be ready.

I was told that the safest is 6 months and above. My passport was expiring in 3 months back then so i made a new one to play it safe. :)

took from here FAQ - http://www3.ica.gov.sg/apples/faq/faq.html

How can I apply for a passport if I live overseas?
As a Singapore citizen residing overseas, you can choose to apply for your passport on-line via APPLES or you can obtain the application forms at the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission and submit your application through the Mission. Thereafter, you can pick up your passport from your desired mission.

Can additional pages be inserted in the passport if it has run out of pages?
No. If your passport has run out of pages, you must apply for a new passport.

What are the requirements for the photograph image and file attachment?
Sharp and clear, 35mm wide by 45mm high without border and taken within the last 3 months;

apply online collect when you are back.

hi all
i have some questions.

The "one with photo scanned in and one with a solid plastic cover page" would be the biometric passport i think. I dont think so, the S'pore government requires all citizens to make the new biometric passport if u're passport is not a biometric one and has expired. You need to pay 70 dollars for it. I takes about 3 working days to process. You will need to bring your current passport to be hole punched, but they'll let you keep it.

I was told that the safest is 6 months and above. My passport was expiring in 3 months back then so i made a new one to play it safe. :)

Malaysia is fine with 3 months....try that with Indonesia for example. I remember my first international passport going bust and I did not know it has only 5mth left. The batam island custom officer stopped me, pull me to another counter further away from the main lines going thru to tell me without "embrassing me to the public" that I can't go in as my passport has less then 6 months. Seeing my friends and I with golf clubs heading one fo the club for a game, I was persuaded to part with $250 to let me through. It was that or take the boat back to Singapore. Very expensive game that day in Batam.

Malaysia is fine with 3 months....try that with Indonesia for example. I remember my first international passport going bust and I did not know it has only 5mth left. The batam island custom officer stopped me, pull me to another counter further away from the main lines going thru to tell me without "embrassing me to the public" that I can't go in as my passport has less then 6 months. Seeing my friends and I with golf clubs heading one fo the club for a game, I was persuaded to part with $250 to let me through. It was that or take the boat back to Singapore. Very expensive game that day in Batam.

Oh sheesh, a real expensive golf game in terms of Batam's standard. :eek:

Anyway i made a new passport cos i was going to the US. I don't want to take any risks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.