Renata on HP5+

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
75900002_G.jpg

just wondering, does older (but not expired, in this case) film turn out grainier?

more to come. :)

Beautiful picture :thumbsup: IMHO, you and will03 are certainly among the top 10 good photographers in this section :)

Many ways to add/reduce grain, but more modern Delta 100 or 400 will have less ... and then again it depends as well on developing ...

just wondering, does older (but not expired, in this case) film turn out grainier?

more to come. :)

i guess need to have a comparison to see better? ;p

thanx clubgrit for the generous compliment. :)

trying to explore b/w film now so will keep learning!

75900024_G.jpg

Hi joho
With old film it depans a lot on the way it was stored, age, processing as well as the batch of the film. Worst will be to get a good grany image but not able to reproduce it. Do you do the film processing yourself? If you do, it may be better to explore with the processing as you can control the grain and reproduce it again and again. You can also control the printing part of it.

Cheers

yeah it's just that "all things held constant" i had another batch of HP5+ that came out finer. the only thing that i could tell was this batch film is older as a friend passed it to me.

then again, "constant" meaning send to the same person to develop. maybe he didn't do it the same way, but he said he does it the same all the time. no push/pull for this. maybe when he agitating that time he had a sneezing fit? :bsmilie:

anywayz, yeah i know there are alot of factors affecting how the negs come out, but somehow that's the beauty of film huh? :)

as mentioned, still exploring. thanx for all comments and advice. have decided not to do own processing for now as i'm still very busy with my digital stuff and it's more efficient time-wise to send to one place for developing and scan.

The HP5 is a firm personal favourite B&W film of mine and i must say you have done it justice with your last shot. :)

Nicely done. :)

It's just another way of presenting one's work, anything goes ... but wait until you get it traditionally printed (i.e. not scanned), it's different again.

Anyway, keep up the atypical work, I am sure you already mastered the typical :)

hope it's not wrong of me to digitally enhance film scans ahhah... i no darkroom... ;p

hey wolfgang thanx for your encouragement! :)

clubgrit, yeah man there's still so much i haven't gone into, and there's no rush i'm enjoying myself slowly. it's more for personal development and pleasure and glad to have your inputs.

hope i have chance to get cancer in the darkroom. :bsmilie: ok maybe not funny, cos it's true to a certain extent ... :sweat:

i like the last two you posted. beautiful use of light and shadow :)

you're right, these do seem a little grainier than usual from hp5+

but there are really so many factors to consider, it's hard to guess if it's because of the age. i think more likely the processing though...

i like the last two you posted. beautiful use of light and shadow :)

you're right, these do seem a little grainier than usual from hp5+

but there are really so many factors to consider, it's hard to guess if it's because of the age. i think more likely the processing though...
thanx!!

yeah i think the type of developer used also matters rite... everything matters! heeheh.. i think the lab uses Tmax developer...

Status
Not open for further replies.