Renata Noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.

asidbyrne

Jun 10, 2005
Dengue Town
Sunday morning shoot with Renata. Thanks to Modellin for the effort

My first ever model shoot. MUCH more interesting then taking pictures of my dog or my toes.

Comments and criticism and advice from older more experienced birds please.

IMG_2526Large.jpg

IMG_2519Large.jpg

image 3 deleted due to photographer incompetence
IMG_2378Large.jpg

IMG_2375Large.jpg

All shots above taken with 30mm f1.4 and cropped.

More pics

IMG_2307_1Large.jpg

IMG_2271Large.jpg

IMG_2263Large.jpg

IMG_2230Large.jpg

IMG_2202Large.jpg

All shots in this post taken with 70-200mm f4.

Can be addictive. Beware.

I'm no old bird. There's a lot to bear in mind while shooting portraitures. For a start, maybe check on the focusing and handshake.

and more

IMG_1987Large.jpg

IMG_1980Large.jpg

IMG_1974Large.jpg

IMG_1972Large.jpg

IMG_1966Large.jpg

All shots in this post taken with 125mm f2.5 Macro

pls pls work on ur composition first even before I go to talk about the focusing.

Most of the angles u took are quite unflattering for the model.

Exposure on the face is like never there. Use spot metering

pls pls work on ur composition first even before I go to talk about the focusing.

Most of the angles u took are quite unflattering for the model.

Exposure on the face is like never there. Use spot metering

OK Noted

Composition
Spot Metering
Focus

u don't have to note everything u read.

for example, i would work on getting focus right first, then composition.

my take: focus is almost always "correct" on the eyes. as for composition, the number of "correct" ways are far more, and even using the word "correct" to describe composition can be undesirable. it's a subjective thing, more often than not. another way to put it, get the easy parts fixed first, then move on to harder things. imo, good focus is easier to achieve than good composition.

Well, i thought pic #9 is really beautiful. Love it! :lovegrin:

u don't have to note everything u read.

for example, i would work on getting focus right first, then composition.

my take: focus is almost always "correct" on the eyes. as for composition, the number of "correct" ways are far more, and even using the word "correct" to describe composition can be undesirable. it's a subjective thing, more often than not. another way to put it, get the easy parts fixed first, then move on to harder things. imo, good focus is easier to achieve than good composition.

Thanks jOhO. Understood.
I will try to take in all the suggestions and see what works for me too :)
unfortunately very new to photography having gotten my camera less then a month ago but I guess once you hit rock bottom, there is nowhere to go but up ;)

get more eye contact for portraits i guess....unless u are trying something new. No hard rule saying ur pics is not good

Guess....u should just pick the best of the best that u want to present to the world. And u might want to invite deadpoet in........

she looks a little like the actress from fast and furious driving the pink s2000.:)

Thanks jOhO. Understood.
I will try to take in all the suggestions and see what works for me too :)
unfortunately very new to photography having gotten my camera less then a month ago but I guess once you hit rock bottom, there is nowhere to go but up ;)

Don't just take in all the suggestions that people give you. Learn to differentiate what helps, what does not. Create your own style. A good guideline would be Joho and William who sometimes post here. Very distinctive individual style.

What I have to say below is just from my own very limited experience.

1. Focus is very important. OOF just spoil the whole image. Ensure that your shutter speed is fast enough. 1/250 and above would be good.

2. Eye contact. Not necessary for all shots. But it is very important as the eye is the first thing that will catch my eye in such a pose. And the look of an eye conveys a certain message.

That being said, #1 and #9 are really beautiful shots. Well done. :)

oh my. next time post 3 or less. hard to critique when there are a million.

The entire series is a MESS. You need remedial basic to photography.

That said, joining mass orgy shoot will not be the best way to acquire the fundamental skills you need. I suggest you find a friend, shoot till both of you drop, and shoot some more. Meanwhile, take notes on what you did for each set, each series, each shot so that you know what the outcome is for a given sets of parameters.

Really, please pay attention to DOF and focussing. Some may argue not all picture has to be in focus, well, get them in focus first, then experiment. Read books and go online to see how others did it, posing, exposure, lighting, styling etc. Books are better.

And then, go shoot some more again till you and the model drop.

Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.