Removing voice from an MP3 file

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi guys,

Was wondering if you guys know how to remove the vocals in a music track to create the minus one version? Need to know this inof urgently!

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

Was wondering if you guys know how to remove the vocals in a music track to create the minus one version? Need to know this inof urgently!

Thanks in advance!

Assuming your original is a stereo L/R track, you can try inverting one of the channel and sum them up into a mono signal. It should remove most of the vocal component in the track.

This is interesting....what's the theory behind it? Are you assuming that the vocal portion is a mono signal present in both tracks?

This will also mean that other mono signals sounds are cancelled right?

Assuming your original is a stereo L/R track, you can try inverting one of the channel and sum them up into a mono signal. It should remove most of the vocal component in the track.

This is interesting....what's the theory behind it? Are you assuming that the vocal portion is a mono signal present in both tracks?

This will also mean that other mono signals sounds are cancelled right?

Yeah, in a stereo recording vocals are usually mono, so when inverted and summed the vocals will go off. Instruments and music are usually done in stereo, so it shouldn't be cancelled as much. I might be wrong here though. ;p

The editing can easily be done using Audacity (freeware) or other sound editing softwares. :)

I once used Adobe Audition to do this. Totally automated. Just load the MP3 into the software and it does it. Karaoke bliss :)

Hey all, tried downloading the audacity and followed the steps. great! But realised it works only for normal mp3 and not when the mp3 is of higher bit rate. Also, it cant support wmv format :(

Any other options?

Sorry a bit ot but when i load a stereo song into audacity, some will appear as mono tracks. Any reason why?

Hey all, tried downloading the audacity and followed the steps. great! But realised it works only for normal mp3 and not when the mp3 is of higher bit rate. Also, it cant support wmv format :(

Any other options?

You using Mac or PC? If Mac Garageband can do it too. If not can convert the mp3 or wmv to wav 1st then convert back, but this is a roundabout way of doing things lar. :p

Sorry OT. Any software to extract just part of an MP3 song?

as well as the mono components such as drums and bass guitars.

as well as the mono components such as drums and bass guitars.

True, but this is the simplest and cheapest way to do it without using complicated frequency based processing kinda thing. Of course there are many softwares out there can that do better, but I don't know of a freeware that can do that. I guess it depends on how good you want the output to be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.