Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaywalk

Aug 11, 2005
I just bought a Manfrotto QR plate. There is a peg sticking out, which I think is meant for video cameras. Although the bottom of the peg looks like a flat screw head, I don't think it is a screw. I couldn't unscrew or push it out with my thumb. How should I remove it, by hammering it out? Hammer in which direction? :embrass:

The lady at CP removed the peg for my first QR plate, that's why don't know. :embrass:

kaywalk said:
I just bought a Manfrotto QR plate. There is a peg sticking out, which I think is meant for video cameras. Although the bottom of the peg looks like a flat screw head, I don't think it is a screw. I couldn't unscrew or push it out with my thumb. How should I remove it, by hammering it out? Hammer in which direction? :embrass:

The lady at CP removed the peg for my first QR plate, that's why don't know. :embrass:

when i wanted to buy this peg last time, they said no such thing... now they have... funny...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
when i wanted to buy this peg last time, they said no such thing... now they have... funny...
You can have it, if you can remove it. ;)

I should add that the instructions say to unscrew, but the hole is not screw threaded and unscrewing has got me nowhere in the last x minutes. I've tried using the hammer, but I can't see any progress. I'll try hitting harder...

Hope I get some advice, because the next tool I'm breaking out will be the electric drill. :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
y dun u show me on sunday?
Can... what's happening on Sunday?

You mean last Sunday? Hadn't bought it yet... bought it last night.

So you'll help? Then I don't drill it to smithereens first. :)

kaywalk said:
Can... what's happening on Sunday?

You mean last Sunday? Hadn't bought it yet... bought it last night.

So you'll help? Then I don't drill it to smithereens first. :)

maybe u can post the pic here and see anyone can help or not..

k3nn3th03 said:
maybe u can post the pic here and see anyone can help or not..
Will do.

#1 - Both my Manfrotto QR plates, one with peg and one without
both4bf.jpg

#2 - Hole on the QR plate without peg, notice that it is not screw threaded...
wopeg1os.jpg

#3 - Peg (upper part should be a cylinder: it is chipped because of a hammer blow that grazed it :p )
wpeg6si.jpg

#4 - How the QR plate looks from below, a flat screw head lookalike
wpegbottom2dh.jpg

WB might have been wrong for the last picture, but that's beside the point.

The peg rotates freely about its axis, but is unable to move linearly along that axis. Meaning, I can't get it to out!

I don't want to hammer so hard that the QR plate doesn't "sit" the way it should, so in the absence of better ideas, I would drill the peg to flakes if I can. To me, a bigger hole will be less of an issue than a QR plate that can't fit my ball head or is no longer flat. Hee.

hmm it should be able to unscrew.... strange... anyway, try pressing it den unscrew, maybe the thread did not touch, hence free rotation.

Now that you posted here,remind me that i have 1 new one laying around.
i took it out,without much effort,the "screw" was off.
It's not actually a screw,you just need a screwdriver to close the 'mouth' and push through.

zaxh81 said:
Now that you posted here,remind me that i have 1 new one laying around.
i took it out,without much effort,the "screw" was off.
It's not actually a screw,you just need a screwdriver to close the 'mouth' and push through.
Do I "screw" to push upwards or downwards? I mean, taking the QR plate to be in its normal position on the ball head?

You don't attach the plate to the ball head.
1) remove the plate from the ball head
2) turn over the plate to expose the expose the bottom.
3) use a screwdriver to push the 'screw' downward,force it down,it will drop off from the other side.

dont use the screw driver to turn and turn,it wont come out cause that is not a screw.

It can be un-screw with a flat head screw driver.
Done it last time to my 2 Manfrotto QR plate too.

zaxh81 said:
You don't attach the plate to the ball head.
1) remove the plate from the ball head
2) turn over the plate to expose the expose the bottom.
3) use a screwdriver to push the 'screw' downward,force it down,it will drop off from the other side.

dont use the screw driver to turn and turn,it wont come out cause that is not a screw.
I know you don't attach it to the ball head lah. I needed a reference for "up" and "down", that's all. :p

OK I'll try.

52970397.jpg

After which,push through,"screw" will fall off from the other side.
If still cannot,then maybe different plate from me liao.
Mine is a 200PL-14

I've removed it!

All along I've been trying to unscrew it, that means unscrewing while pushing hard to let the peg come out on the same side as the screw head. My hammering was also in that direction. But today I tried pushing it in the other direction, and it came out within seconds. :embrass: :embrass:

Thanks for all the help! :D

DCA, you can have the peg, but as you can see from the picture, the condition is 7/10 due to the chip from hammering. ;p Still, it can be used to hold a video camera in place. Let me know if you want it!

Status
Not open for further replies.