Remote hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think hacking the rm-1 is a fun hobby project to do but otherwise I rather just buy the remote for $35. Just me :)

I read on dpreview that a more worthwhile project would be to make a USB remote that controls the usual fire and zoom plus the ability to shoot in bulb mode. That requires a whole onboard USB controller... Sounds pretty complex to me...:dunno:

VR Man said:
I think hacking the rm-1 is a fun hobby project to do but otherwise I rather just buy the remote for $35. Just me :)
Agree, problem is I need several for different projects. That would be too expensive. I also want to make one that is very small to fit in the Grip 2 (old OM stuff) to be able to use that. At the moment I use my Ipaq as RM-1, that is free since I have the Ipaq.

VR Man said:
I read on dpreview that a more worthwhile project would be to make a USB remote that controls the usual fire and zoom plus the ability to shoot in bulb mode. That requires a whole onboard USB controller... Sounds pretty complex to me...:dunno:
That project is at the startup phase. I want a wire remote and since day 1 with my E-500 I am thinking of making it using USB. Strange nobody is working on these things except me and that other guy/girl.

OlyFlyer said:
Agree, problem is I need several for different projects. That would be too expensive. I also want to make one that is very small to fit in the Grip 2 (old OM stuff) to be able to use that. At the moment I use my Ipaq as RM-1, that is free since I have the Ipaq.

That project is at the startup phase. I want a wire remote and since day 1 with my E-500 I am thinking of making it using USB. Strange nobody is working on these things except me and that other guy/girl.

Wish you all the best. You folks could be onto something. Make it universal with the ability to flash the rom.

Lord of the Controller.
One control to control them all.

Tonight I managed to take my first pictures using my own IR remote. This is the first picture of my own creation, without ooge's help from this Malaysian link VR Man found. The guy got married and had no time to answer. I had no time to wait for him, it might take years before he will be interested to get back to the community.

P5251800-1.jpg

This is all that needed for the single 'Fire' button to work. I just have to fix the other buttons also, then find a small box and I have my own RM-1 compatibel remote. Than after that, I will build one into my T32 Grip 2 and so on... I am planning to build quite a few.

Looks like its coming along fine... test fired it yet?

plastic said:
Looks like its coming along fine... test fired it yet?
The picture above is actually taken with the remote in the testbed, 2s delay set in camera, that's why you don't see my hand pressing the burred button in the foreground. Only one button is implemented yet, but the rest is also on the way. I tell you, I was really extremly happy :sweatsm: last night when the thing actually fired my camera for the first time. I took about 100 shots after that, 100% fired my cam.

And the costs? Well, the hardware does not cost more than a few cents. Time spent so far is about 30 hours after work. Meaning that if I had spent all that time at work, working overtime, where I get paid for my work, the money I would get would easily fill my camera bag with RM-1s, so I guess I am making a huge loss (again). But hey, that's what hobbies are about. It is fun, interesting and I am learning something new all the time.

VR Man said:
Wish you all the best. You folks could be onto something. Make it universal with the ability to flash the rom.
The ROM is actually flashable, the heart of the thing is a Microchip 12f629. Unfortunatly that does not make it a universal remote, it is only RM-1 compatible for all Olympus cameras. So, if universal for you is "all Oly cams" then it is universal. I am missing vital data about how to control other brands and I don't have any other camera to work with.

Cool :cool:

If I wanted to learn how to do what you just did, what would you recommend to a complete newbie like me? i.e. What sort of books must one start off with?

I can handle programming from assembly level onwards and have some very rudimentary knowledge of electronics.

I want to be able to one day program a stepper motor with a remote trigger.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Look forward to your finished product.

OlyFlyer said:
The ROM is actually flashable, the heart of the thing is a Microchip 12f629. Unfortunatly that does not make it a universal remote, it is only RM-1 compatible for all Olympus cameras. So, if universal for you is "all Oly cams" then it is universal. I am missing vital data about how to control other brands and I don't have any other camera to work with.

Get it done with OLY first and I think you are on to something good.

Make it cheaper and just as good as OLY and you will have orders pouring from all over the world.

I hear the kaching $ in the not too distant future :cool:

VR Man said:
Cool :cool:

If I wanted to learn how to do what you just did, what would you recommend to a complete newbie like me? i.e. What sort of books must one start off with?

I can handle programming from assembly level onwards and have some very rudimentary knowledge of electronics.

I want to be able to one day program a stepper motor with a remote trigger.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Look forward to your finished product.
Not really belongs to this forum or any other subject related to photography, but I hope we will be forgiven to break the rule.

The best way to learn is through the educational system. Every other way of learning depends on what and how much you want to learn, how deep into electronics you want to go. If you have already a knowledge of assembly programming, than I guess you have some knowledge of logics, maths and at least some microprocessor/microcontroller basics. Actually, if you have asked twenty years ago the same question, I would have listed a whole lot of books to read. Today, I would say Internet has almost everything you need when it comes to electronics. Try to Google after the information you need or what you want to know or build. If you want to use microcontrollers Microchip is a good start, here is a link: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=64 where you can download a lot of information and application notes.

My remote is built around the 12F629, which is a small one with only 8 pins. I have to say, that however simple it looks like, only containing a few components, it is quite difficult to make without proper education, or at least deep knowledge on modulations, how IR-remotes ususally work, microcontroller programming, currents, transistors and so on. To build one from a description is on the other hand easy. Once I am ready, I will publish that.

BTW, I don't think controlling stepper motors is an easy starter project, and I would not use IR to remotly controlling one. IR being light is very sensitive and not that precise as you would want for a stepper motor. A radio remote is a better solution, but unfortunatly even more difficult.

Good luck! And send me a PM if you need more information.

VR Man said:
Get it done with OLY first and I think you are on to something good.

Make it cheaper and just as good as OLY and you will have orders pouring from all over the world.

I hear the kaching $ in the not too distant future :cool:
Well, I don't belive it will make me money. To make it cheaper than Oly is possible only if you already have a factory set up like Olympus, and manufacture it by the thousands. In fact, I think they should give away free with every camera. I don't think I want to take that risk and place a 1000's order in a factory. I belive it is impossible to make anything with the same quality as Oly at any home lab. By quality, I also mean the design, mechanical qualities (like water proof, like RM-1) and so on. That part would cost me a huge amounts of $$$$, so I will just keep it at hobby level. Also, even if it would be cheaper, what would you do: buy a camera for US$1200 than not buy Oly original remote for US$30 but buy one cheaper for say US$22? I don't think so. I think every person with some brains would prefer Oly original RM-1. For me personally it may be cheaper, since I need about 4-5 for different applications. On the other hand, I set my own quality requirements, not demanding all that the Original has to offer. Still, if I was not interested in electronics, it would be a lot cheaper to buy 4-5 original RM-1 than build them, if I would calculate the time spent also.

My first RM-1 compatible remote is boxed now. This one has only three buttons, but it is incredibly small, as you can see. This number one is only for shooting purposes, it will be permanently placed in my bag.

#1 Inside will not win a beauty contest.

OlyFlyer_RM-1_1_1.jpg

Observe the home made battery holder for the three small hearing aid batteries driving the remote. I had to modify my battery holder, it was just about 0.2mm too thick, so I could not close the lid properly. The final one is simply a piece of paper rolled together.

#2 The outside looks quite good if I may say so.

OlyFlyer_RM-1_1_2.jpg

#3 My RM-1 in use.

OlyFlyer_RM-1_1_action.jpg

Now it is time to start building number two, this time with all the five buttons. The place for this one will be near my TV, since it is mainly for immediate view of pictures.

OlyFlyer said:
Well, I don't belive it will make me money. To make it cheaper than Oly is possible only if you already have a factory set up like Olympus, and manufacture it by the thousands. In fact, I think they should give away free with every camera. I don't think I want to take that risk and place a 1000's order in a factory. I belive it is impossible to make anything with the same quality as Oly at any home lab. By quality, I also mean the design, mechanical qualities (like water proof, like RM-1) and so on. That part would cost me a huge amounts of $$$$, so I will just keep it at hobby level. Also, even if it would be cheaper, what would you do: buy a camera for US$1200 than not buy Oly original remote for US$30 but buy one cheaper for say US$22? I don't think so. I think every person with some brains would prefer Oly original RM-1. For me personally it may be cheaper, since I need about 4-5 for different applications. On the other hand, I set my own quality requirements, not demanding all that the Original has to offer. Still, if I was not interested in electronics, it would be a lot cheaper to buy 4-5 original RM-1 than build them, if I would calculate the time spent also.
If you could draw the design, have you ever think of selling the design to a factory which interested to mass produce it ? As long you could prove that it is working, I believe some body will buy it and produce it. :thumbsup:
I have seen a third party remote compatible with RM-1 on e-bay, but it is not very cheap.

erha said:
If you could draw the design, have you ever think of selling the design to a factory which interested to mass produce it ? As long you could prove that it is working, I believe some body will buy it and produce it. :thumbsup:
I have seen a third party remote compatible with RM-1 on e-bay, but it is not very cheap.
I think it must be made in large volume to be able to sell it cheap. That's why I think it is robbery of Oly to charge us so much for a simple thing like that. They do indeed produce and sell it in large volumes, so price should be under US$10 according to my calculations. Actually, I think it should be given away free to all or almost all camera buyers.

OlyFlyer said:
I think it must be made in large volume to be able to sell it cheap. That's why I think it is robbery of Oly to charge us so much for a simple thing like that. They do indeed produce and sell it in large volumes, so price should be under US$10 according to my calculations. Actually, I think it should be given away free to all or almost all camera buyers.

PM Plastic. He may be able to source a manufacturer for you in China.

OlyFlyer said:
Tonight I managed to take my first pictures using my own IR remote. This is the first picture of my own creation, without ooge's help from this Malaysian link VR Man found.
Wow, wat a DIY men :bigeyes: :thumbsup:
Can share the diagram wif us :)
Appreciate :D

Ngus said:
Wow, wat a DIY men :bigeyes: :thumbsup:
Can share the diagram wif us :)
Appreciate :D
Send me a PM with a mail adress and I'll send you the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.