Remote control or shutter release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanette.z

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
www.flickr.com
Hey guys, got a questions.
other than the fact that remote control is wireless, can it also lock the shutter for super long exposures (bulb?)?

What other advantages and disadvantages are there for remote and shutter release?

Cos I'm planning to buy sth like a shutter release for long exposure. but if the remote can do the job, why buying the wired shutter release then? (me, have used neither)

And what models do you recommend for Canon 5D

thanks very much:)

If you are owning a 5D, (gulp), you are a fortunate newbie then.

Anyway, remote has its whole goodness. Just that sometimes they are not so, you know, 'the feeling' Of course, it does it job as well plus the benefit of not even contacting with the camera. (Please note why you are using a remote / cord, to get rid of any unnecessarily vibration). No contacts = Zero vibration from contacts.

I would refer to use shutter release cable than remote control due to the cable responds is always immediate.

If you are owning a 5D, (gulp), you are a fortunate newbie then.

Anyway, remote has its whole goodness. Just that sometimes they are not so, you know, 'the feeling' Of course, it does it job as well plus the benefit of not even contacting with the camera. (Please note why you are using a remote / cord, to get rid of any unnecessarily vibration). No contacts = Zero vibration from contacts.

Haven't officially own it yet;p
That gives me some idea...thanks Andy
I think I might use the remote 1st
Then later when I get to the 'level of the feel' will get a cable release then:bsmilie:
(Used to use just self-timer to reduce vibration...but find it too retarded...)

I would refer to use shutter release cable than remote control due to the cable responds is always immediate.

yah, guess you are very correct. I saw a photographer using it (for self-portraits and group photos) and it wasn't as immediate as I've imagined.
But guess I'll try the remote 1st since I'm just doing super long exposures at the moment. (experimenting star treks etc)
Maybe when I start doing like indoor portraits shot then will get a cable release.:D
Do you reckon that concept is alright?

Hi,

I find that the wireless type of remote requires you to be infront of the camera where as wired does not.

This can often make quite a lot of difference to me (have both)....

If using bulb setting then timed shutter seems to go out the window.

So my all round better choice is wired remote :D

I would choose the remote cable over the wireless one anytime. Imagine u want to take a pic standing behind your camera and the IR port is in front.

Thanks Pablo and Snoweagle.
good point you made there, which didn't occured to me before.
yes, that will be a pain in the a** to twist the wrist to try to get the shutter going.:think:
now...need to reconsider. :)

Haha, really depends. If you are standing a distance away and not directly behind, still can one. If you are really going for the stars now, the remote is more then enuff. Plus it is a lot cheaper.

Haha, really depends. If you are standing a distance away and not directly behind, still can one. If you are really going for the stars now, the remote is more then enuff. Plus it is a lot cheaper.

I think the cost is already a major deciding factor already....
although cable release can half press, but at the end of the day, when u press the remote the lens will also auto-focus then shoot... no difference

and ya, remote control allows u to shoot urself

kcuf2, Cost as a deciding factor also have to see scenario. She's using a 5D leh...

yea...prefer remote too. :)

Thanks a lot for that. :)
yah, cost is an issue too.
I might just look at my $ situation near the time of purchase.
or borrow from other photographers to try out 1st b4 deciding.:bsmilie:

Wireless ones are more for self portraits or when taking with a group of pple. Other than that, take the cable one.

Wireless ones are more for self portraits or when taking with a group of pple. Other than that, take the cable one.
wireless 1 are so fun... especially when you see a group of D70/D50 user shooting firework, a remote can trigger 2 to 3 camera at the same time. :bsmilie:

wireless 1 are so fun... especially when you see a group of D70/D50 user shooting firework, a remote can trigger 2 to 3 camera at the same time. :bsmilie:

It's only true if the IR function is turned on. Else, it's not going to work.

My dear president...............you got your 5D? Eh don't bluff pple u newbie ah:bsmilie:

haven't yet lah...:embrass:
Just thought might buy them altogether
but really a newbie in cable release and remote kind of things:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.