Remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbs99

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
All the oldies...

Do you remember the pyramid shaped packet milk in the early days? Wat brand were they....when did they become "extinct"...when they first started? Anyone got the facts/photos? :)

Im juz plain curious.

Originally posted by sbs99
All the oldies...

Do you remember the pyramid shaped packet milk in the early days? Wat brand were they....when did they become "extinct"...when they first started? Anyone got the facts/photos? :)

Im juz plain curious.

Daisey Milk?

I remember "ang sze goo ni" ("hong zi niu nai") was a popular brand also. Is that "Milkmaid" milk?

HAHAHA i remember!! i liked the strawberry one.

extinct in .....errmm lets see i was like 4-5 yrs old...which is about 1985?-1986??
around there...
wonder what ever happened...probably the production co thought it was not easy to carry around i guess.

1. Remember the days when hawkers sell wan tan mee in carts they either push around or attached to a bicycle? When the "teh gu" come, they flee like crazy. I once saw a poor hawker who had to abandon his stall during a raid, and there was nothing he could do but watch as the fierce teh gu's smash all his plates and bowls and tear down his portable stall at the car park of the HDB flat I stayed at.

2. Remember the days when we supplied our own eggs when we buy cai tao queh at the coffe shop stall downstairs? We can get a good serving of cai tao queh at ~$0.30, and it is served on banana leaves. The banana leaf is folded into the shape of a cone, and a little piece of tooth pick is used to pin the overlapping parts of the leaf in place. Remember buying rojak that came in the same kind of banana leaf bowls?

3. Remember the days when a few weeks before Chinese New Year, the provision shops stock up on the soft drinks, and stack the cartons about 2 meters high on the open space in fron of the shop? The most popular soft drink seemed to be F&N orange, in glass bottle, and placed in wooden cartons.

4. Remember the days when the Chinese wayang would set up a stage in the car park, and all the little stalls selling food or tikam will be set up around the audience area? I am most happy during wayang time as I can get to each my favourite snack "muah chee". There was a kind of board game that was similar to carrem, but the players hit the striker with a stick, like playing billiard. And there were all the different forms of tikam. One of which you pick from a board covered with many pieces of folded red paper, tear it off the board, look at the hidden number and try to match the number with the number of the available prizes; if you find a match then you get the prize; 5 cents for each try.

5. Remember the days when the man selling "mai ya tang" would walk the common corridors of the HDB flats, selling 10 cent malt candy? The cany is a thick sticky substance that he carried in a metal pail. When you buy, he will scrape a portion of that sticky stuff onto the ends of 2 long ice-cream sticks (or satay sticks).

6. Remember the other kind of candy that came in a flat round metal container that has to be chiseled into small pieces by the candy man with a special tool? To attract attention he would announce his arrival to the neighbourhood by knocking the metal pieces against each other.

7. Remember the ice-cream man's bell?

8. Remember the days when there are bus conductors, and the buses with a single door in the middle of the bus? The door never closed! You get your bus ticket from the conductor after you board, and the conductor will punch a little hole on the ticket, to indicate the stop number from which you boarded the bus. There is a 4-digit serial number on each ticket, and I used to collect tickets with nice numbers such as 9999, 1234, etc. Remember how the conductor had to perform hand singalling for the driver when the bus is turning or changing lanes?

9. Remember the days when you played zero point? Five stones? Police cathcing thieves? One leg? Hide and seek (bi-bi)?

10. Remember the days amusement centres were first appeared, and you can go to amusement centres and spend a few dolloars playing twenty-cent-a-game Space Invaders?

:cry: Please!!! STOP!!! Those were the days I missed the most!!! Btw, I can still hear the ice-cream man's bell once in a while in my neighbourhood. To me, all these had given way in the name of "development". Various attempts to revive them had failed miserably in my opinion. Its just not "natural" anymore!!!!!

11. Remember "Liam Liam Le, mang ga li pung che!"?

12. Remember "Long Chiam Pas!", "Choot Ho Be!", "Oh Peh Som!", "4 by 4!" (when you need to divide your gang of 8 into 2 groups of 4, each will show either the palm or the back of the hand after shouting 4 by 4, when there are equal number of palms and back of hands shown, the persons showing the same side of the hand are group together, and the whole point is so that you can play "peng lia chat").

13. Remember a game called "Curry Yong Tau Fu"? I cannot remember what that was about already. Can anyone refresh my memory?

14. Remember a 2-person hand clapping song-game that goes "mi mi mi re mi fa so...me.... fa fa fa so fa mi re...so...."? Kind of silly, isn't it?

16. How about "Sed sed sed, ping pong ping pong, sally sally long chiam pas"? What was that all about?

17. Remember "hantam bola"?

18. Remember the lady singer Lin Zu Jun?

19. Remember the comedy sketches of Wang Sha and Ye Feng (Ah Bui Ah San)? "Ah di ah, li ar ga ar ga tio hor!"

20. Remember Shen1 Bao3 Zi1 Ye4, a variety show sponsored by Sharp? The male host was Zhang Wei.

21. Remember Redifusion, the cable radio that was perpetually going all day and night? There were 2 stations, Silver and Gold. I first heard about Jin1 Yong1's She4 Diao1 Ying1 Xiong2 Zuan4 on Redifusion, narrated in Hokkien by Wang2 Dao4, better known by his Hokkien name "Ong Do". How about Li3 Da4 Sha3 (Lei Dai Sor)?

22. Remember the "Kachang puteh" stalls at almost every cinema? Are there anymore besides the one at Cathay cinema? By the way is there still a Cathay cinema?

23. Remember the colourful paper ball that you inflat by blowing into a little hole on the side? When deflated, you can collapse it into a hemisphere and it looked like a Chinese hat.

24. Remember the sticky stuff in a little tube shaped like a tooth paste tube you could sqeeze onto the tip of a little straw and blow into ballons of different shapes and sizes?

25. Remember the little booth at the entrance of every HDB car park with the attendent issueing parking tickets (not to or kong, but to record the time you entered the car park) and collecting parking fees?

Originally posted by roygoh
11. Remember "Liam Liam Le, mang ga li pung che!"?

12. Remember "Long Chiam Pas!", "Choot Ho Be!", "Oh Peh Som!", "4 by 4!" (when you need to divide your gang of 8 into 2 groups of 4, each will show either the palm or the back of the hand after shouting 4 by 4, when there are equal number of palms and back of hands shown, the persons showing the same side of the hand are group together, and the whole point is so that you can play "peng lia chat").

13. Remember a game called "Curry Yong Tau Fu"? I cannot remember what that was about already. Can anyone refresh my memory?

14. Remember a 2-person hand clapping song-game that goes "mi mi mi re mi fa so...me.... fa fa fa so fa mi re...so...."? Kind of silly, isn't it?

16. How about "Sed sed sed, ping pong ping pong, sally sally long chiam pas"? What was that all about?

17. Remember "hantam bola"?

18. Remember the lady singer Lin Zu Jun?

19. Remember the comedy sketches of Wang Sha and Ye Feng (Ah Bui Ah San)? "Ah di ah, li ar ga ar ga tio hor!"

20. Remember Shen1 Bao3 Zi1 Ye4, a variety show sponsored by Sharp? The male host was Zhang Wei.

For 14, my wife sometimes sing this to my kids (It kinda soothe them down) :D . For 16, I sometimes do that to my kids. :D

Oh, where is your 15??

15. Remember the times when you and your friends were catching spiders, catching guppies in monsoon drains?

Realized this is the only thread Roy has so much to post...hehehhe.....u damn old meh???!! LoL

So many things siah....miss most of them...hehe

21. Remember Redifusion, the cable radio that was perpetually going all day and night? There were 2 stations, Silver and Gold. I first heard about Jin1 Yong1's She4 Diao1 Ying1 Xiong2 Zuan4 on Redifusion, narrated in Hokkien by Wang2 Dao4, better known by his Hokkien name "Ong Do". How about Li3 Da4 Sha3 (Lei Dai Sor)?
i think Rediffusion is still around somewhere... i still remember the "silver" and the "gold" channel names....

22. Remember the "Kachang puteh" stalls at almost every cinema? Are there anymore besides the one at Cathay cinema? By the way is there still a Cathay cinema?
of course cathay is still around!!! cineleisure in orchard is by cathay, and so's causeway point @ woodlands... they're the only two i know that still has the kachang puteh man actually... re-invented and modernised of course, with a nicely built stall instead of the push-cart things things they used back then...

Realized this is the only thread Roy has so much to post...hehehhe.....u damn old meh???!! LoL

So many things siah....miss most of them...hehe

Yeah, old man.... I wonder how many here is old enough to remember everything I listed.

The funny thing is, and I swear I am telling the truth, I was just thinking about a number of the things I have listed, and was contemplating to start a thread here to talk about such old stuff, and then I saw this post.

So I am inspired further to recall more of the old days...

Originally posted by Goondu

.....Oh, where is your 15??

15. Remember the times when you and your friends were catching spiders, catching guppies in monsoon drains?

Sigh....memory failing also.....really getting old?

Thanks for filling in for no. 15.;)

just to add another one...

remember the satay seller that comes around on a motorcyle with a side carriage?

time to move on people hahaha...the world still moving round last time i checked

Originally posted by eadwine
time to move on people hahaha...the world still moving round last time i checked

Yeah, time to move on to the next era.

Remember those ZX81 computers with 1K of internal RAM?
Remember the 16K expansion pack that costs more than $100+?
Remember Apple 2 computers with the 6502 processor running at 1.23MHz?

:p

Yeah, the 10MB harddisk was KING of storage.

Used to have one of the early apple computers with green screen...play Taipan whole day everyday...haaaaa

Then came AT computers...alley cat..and wats tat game called...the one with the little stick figure which can zap holes in the floor...climb here climb there...haaaa

then there's Atari....nintendo....haaaa

then im sure most of you would be DAMN FAMILIAR WITH:

UP - UP - DOWN - DOWN - LEFT - RIGHT - LEFT - RIGHT - A - B - SELECT - START

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAH!!:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be the Delta Force!

Status
Not open for further replies.