Relation between aperture and distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

iltriumph

Feb 23, 2005
Saigon, Vietnam
www.vietnam720.com
Dear Guys,

1. What's the relationship between distance (between camera and subject) and aperture?

2. Do i have to be generally closer to the subject when shooting at, eg, f5.6 compare to f8?

Thanks in advance :)

Dear Guys,

1. What's the relationship between distance (between camera and subject) and aperture?

2. Do i have to be generally closer to the subject when shooting at, eg, f5.6 compare to f8?

Thanks in advance :)

There is no direct relationship between aperture and distance.

The choice of aperture has no impact on the shooting distance.

BC

aperture affects the depth of field (DOF) in-front and behind the subject in focus, ie. the space that will be reproduced "in-focus" in the photo. [It does not change with the distance to the subject.] that's of course bull what i wrote her in brackets... i stand corrected an apologize.

aperture affects the depth of field (DOF) in-front and behind the subject in focus, ie. the space that will be reproduced "in-focus" in the photo. It does not change with the distance to the subject.

DOF does change with the subject distance. The nearer the subject, the shallower the DOF.

BC

Haha..Just found this web site while explaining what is DOF to two of my friends who's interested in photography.

http://smad.jmu.edu/dof/

this newbie query is almost same as what i raise here week ago--

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=252156

until now im still mastering the dexterity of handheld shooting, the distance from subject and the DOF that i need is still a mystery to me. though some reading on hyperfocal distance is quite intriguing.

more help to noobs..;)

1. i took 2 wedding recently with similar environments.
The first was shot mostly at 5.6. Went home and realised many pictures were blur. So took the 2nd one at f8. Much better (clearer). Why huh? Assuming hte flash and evrything else were correct.

2. so if i take a group shot at 5.6 twice, 1 at 3 meters and the 2nd at , say, 15 meters away from teh subject, what will happen?

thanks again :)

1. i took 2 wedding recently with similar environments.
The first was shot mostly at 5.6. Went home and realised many pictures were blur. So took the 2nd one at f8. Much better (clearer). Why huh? Assuming hte flash and evrything else were correct.

2. so if i take a group shot at 5.6 twice, 1 at 3 meters and the 2nd at , say, 15 meters away from teh subject, what will happen?

thanks again :)
1. Show us the photo and we will try to tell you why. Otherwise, we will be guessing. DOF is shallower at f/5.6 compared to f/8. But I doubt that is the problem, although it might be.

2. The subject looks smaller???

BC

DOF does change with the subject distance. The nearer the subject, the shallower the DOF.

BC

Hmm, although the luminaries have seconded and thirded this statement, I beg to differ a little. DOF changes with focus distance. Where the subject is, is sort of irrelevant :) Of course, usually the subject is in focus, so yeah, it changes with distance :)

also take note that the longer your focal length, the shallower your Depth-Of-Field.

Shoot more, learn more!
Happy Shooting! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.