Rejection by Shutterstock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxidizer

Apr 17, 2006
oxidizer.shutterchance.com
Hi! Would appreciate any tips from those who have 'passed' the entry requirements at Shutterstock.

This was repeatedly cited for 7 out of 10 photos:-
Noise--Noise, film grain, over-sharpening, or artifacts at full size

Is that something that I have missed? Photos were shot at ISO 100~200. very little sharpening applied. So I don't get it.

Well I have 30 days to try again. :sticktong

Hi! Would appreciate any tips from those who have 'passed' the entry requirements at Shutterstock.

Is that something that I have missed? Photos were shot at ISO 100~200. very little sharpening applied. So I don't get it.

What camera you use and how many megapixels?

Do you shoot raw?

Take it positively. When you meet their requirements, you will become a better photographer. At least they didnt reject you based on composition and subject matter. Shows that you may have something they want...

probably you should not even do sharpening, leave it for the clients to do so. Of course the picture should be crisp and clear initally already unless its intended blur.

try submitting very safe pictures, for total sharpness use tripod :bsmilie: and shoot something bright and nice. stay at iso100 and nothing more :)

I had my photos approved not long ago. It took me two years to get it. Ya, they also replied the images not sharp, poor lighting, noise noise noise, poor composition...
My advice is to shoot a simple single subject, keep the back ground clean, under good lighting.
Use noise reduction software to filter all submitted photos. Must keep those approved images for next time submission. All my photos approved are those macro shoot of insects.

This web site images are really sellable. Within less than half months 120 images sold other stock website can sell but very slow.

gosh, thanks for the replies. a canon 40D+17-55mm f2.8 which is all that I can afford.

yup, i shoot in RAW only and tweaked the WB and adjusted the colors a bit, apart from some sharpening. No cropping done. Hmm... It seems that getting onto the site is quite a challenge. :) Will take the advice of shooing at iso100 and nothing more + Noise reduction too.

Guess I'll have to shoot brand new pictures.

So did everyone here have to try a few times to get approved? mousedeers, 2 years?

Ok, this possible stock photo income is to fund my new Macbook... Seems like a long way to go though

gosh, thanks for the replies. a canon 40D+17-55mm f2.8 which is all that I can afford.

yup, i shoot in RAW only and tweaked the WB and adjusted the colors a bit, apart from some sharpening. No cropping done. Hmm... It seems that getting onto the site is quite a challenge. :) Will take the advice of shooing at iso100 and nothing more + Noise reduction too.

Guess I'll have to shoot brand new pictures.

So did everyone here have to try a few times to get approved? mousedeers, 2 years?

Ok, this possible stock photo income is to fund my new Macbook... Seems like a long way to go though

again post your images here so we can see what mistakes u made and help...how hard is that to understand?!:sweat:

Bro did you run your own checks on those pictures they rejected ? It is as simple as that Getty, Jupiter, Corbis are heck of a lot stricter but acceptance is possible as long as you understand what you are doing.

Better shot in raw and limit your post process... artifacting happens more ofter when you shoot in jpeg

in the meantime, why not try other sites like [URL="http://www.dreamstime.com/]dreamstime[/URL] first? it is also a good site and do not need to pass the QUIZ...

Last edited:
BTW, is it okay to submit the exact same photos to multiple stock agency?

It's usually okay.

There's the option to go exclusive with IS (if you meet certain criteria), and if you do:

"Full artist Exclusivity means no images, video or audio files may be sold on other royalty-free sites or businesses with the exception of Getty Images."

http://www.istockphoto.com/sell-stock-photos-exclusivity.php

Better shot in raw and limit your post process... artifacting happens more ofter when you shoot in jpeg

in the meantime, why not try other sites like [URL="http://www.dreamstime.com/]dreamstime[/URL] first? it is also a good site and do not need to pass the QUIZ...

I would suggest TS to have a second look at the photos and address the problems of "Noise, film grain, over-sharpening, or artifacts at full size" if any first before submitting to other sites.

Your name is your brand. And you want to sell the brand with the highest quality you can supply.

BTW, is it okay to submit the exact same photos to multiple stock agency?

Yes... it is ok, as long as you are not exclusive to any agent. I submit to 8 stock agents at the same time. See my signature link.

Currently, ss works the best :)

I would suggest TS to have a second look at the photos and address the problems of "Noise, film grain, over-sharpening, or artifacts at full size" if any first before submitting to other sites.

Your name is your brand. And you want to sell the brand with the highest quality you can supply.

Very sound advice :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the valuable input, folks. I will take a step back and relook all my pictures again. :)

Here are 2 of the photos that were cited as 'Noisy'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60733744@N00/2954734542/in/set-72157608176696161/

Sometimes they say things are noisy rather than saying that they just plain don't want them. A couple of years ago this would be accepted but these days the competition is so much more tough. You really need a strong first ten images to get accepted on SS these day. However, with a image library of over three million, you have a lot of pictures to study to see what will be accepted. Long gone are the days when you could upload random pictures off the HDD and wait for them to sell.

.... Have also noticed that sometime if you re-submit the images, they get accepted.

I would hesitate to advise anyone to re-submit an image if rejected by Shutterstock unless there is a distinct improvement. This is against their rule:

Submitting an image that has already been rejected without writing a note to the reviewer explaining why the image(s) is being resubmitted. Resubmitting an image without making the appropriate corrections.

This will earn the submitter a warning. And 3 warnings you'll be struck out and have to reapply to join Shutterstock.

I aready have a warning for doing it. :sweat:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.