Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
probably this is why there is a thread for newbies on the myths of sharing lenses if they get the same brand camera....read it once before, I think it's about what "DSLR to get"

Things usually gets ugly when the lens/equipment is damaged...

I was going to sell both away, film body 100$, lens 150$.
This noob make my camera faulty already, thread is here. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pent...utter-speed-1-8-1-4-1-2-1-1-have-problem.html
Now can only keep and use, zz.. never mind.
Lucky is not 50mm f1.4 or any other thing. If not my balls will drop to the ground literally.

Next time if another person, just beside me.
Ask me lend awhile, say "I just standing beside you, what you scared of?".
How should I reject? Same method?

I will surely ask, "If spoil you pay ar?".
If he/she ok, I also ok.
If not ok I think I won't lend.

If he say ok and then he spoil, then everything not ok with him. He no $
I sure break down and cry, let the whole world know he break my camera.
Make him buy new one, he don't buy new one I bash him up for sure.

But to save the trouble, I will just say no.

Sorry, I like to imagine all kinds of scenario.
Born actor.

Last edited:
I remember I read similar post about the same scenario previously in CS - lend to a friend, come back got dent, how to say no next time.

Good friends won't come and ask to lend your things (unless they really need it if not they or someone will die if you don't case). You won't mind lending your things even if you can't get it back (think - money) to your good friends.

Camera still come back, not so bad already.

Ask them to lend you a lot of money (equivalent to the value of your camera) before you lend your camera to them. See what they say. If both lend each other, and your camera got dent when returned, return his money minus the amount for damage for dent, say money drop to floor and lost when you going out to meet him just now, like what he did to your camera hehe. He act blur, you also act blur lo, don't know leh, I just draw exact amount from ATM but come out the amount so little...

My colleagues and I rent equipment to each other. The moment money is involved, we think twice about "borrowing".

I remember I read similar post about the same scenario previously in CS - lend to a friend, come back got dent, how to say no next time.

Good friends won't come and ask to lend your things (unless they really need it if not they or someone will die if you don't case). You won't mind lending your things even if you can't get it back (think - money) to your good friends.

Camera still come back, not so bad already.

Ask them to lend you a lot of money (equivalent to the value of your camera) before you lend your camera to them. See what they say. If both lend each other, and your camera got dent when returned, return his money minus the amount for damage for dent, say money drop to floor and lost when you going out to meet him just now, like what he did to your camera hehe. He act blur, you also act blur lo, don't know leh, I just draw exact amount from ATM but come out the amount so little...

Wah.. this one very good.

But draw money come out so little, sure tell u to report to bank one.
I think money drop on the floor, and camera is dent.
Just tell the person, just take it that you buy my camera la. :D

He complain camera is spoil one, I can say "Spoil is during your loan period... Camera is worth this much, don't worry about it la.".

But problem is, now camera some settings cannot use. Then I cannot sell. Must keep D:
haizx, never mind la.

Take it as a lesson.

My colleagues and I rent equipment to each other. The moment money is involved, we think twice about "borrowing".

eh... rent = money and deposit is involved?
like that then no problem la..

Last edited:
just for fun:

#1 say your camera with its settings, is a personalized item, much like your underwear. prefer not to share.

#2 offer to lend your forgotten PnS instead. say that it's colours are much better.

#3 ask to borrow his gf in exchange for lending camera (since you treat your camera like your gf and you can't get by without one).

#4 ask to borrow his car in return since you'll need something in return to occupy the time void. (hint about going to show off your newly acquired drifting skills)

#5 tell him you are about to sell the camera and can't afford any mishaps, unless he is interesting in buying.

just for fun:

#1 say your camera with its settings, is a personalized item, much like your underwear. prefer not to share.

#2 offer to lend your forgotten PnS instead. say that it's colours are much better.

#3 ask to borrow his gf in exchange for lending camera (since you treat your camera like your gf and you can't get by without one).

#4 ask to borrow his car in return since you'll need something in return to occupy the time void. (hint about going to show off your newly acquired drifting skills)

#5 tell him you are about to sell the camera and can't afford any mishaps, unless he is interesting in buying.

Lol, very nice. But she has a dSLR already. and the film camera not much settings. #3 don't apply cause can only borrow her boyfriend, but I have no use. #5 ... **** *^%W*&%^@$*@^$ she tell me she will buy she will buy. **** la. haizx nevermind.

What if you are you are the kind also like to borrow from your friends?...for example all your lens are wide angle, and dont have telephoto lens....then you friend has....will you borrow from friend? will you buy one?( probably gonna use once or twice) or will you rent from shops?( for pauper like me no $$)

What if you are you are the kind also like to borrow from your friends?...for example all your lens are wide angle, and dont have telephoto lens....then you friend has....will you borrow from friend? will you buy one?( probably gonna use once or twice) or will you rent from shops?( for pauper like me no $$)

I am a student, naturally I have no $.
I will not borrow from friends, too expensive already.
Spoil I dunno take how long to pay.

I will either buy a cheap knockoff that is wide but not fast or IQ is not good.
Or save up or wait until working to buy super good ones.

I won't rent from shops, not worth it unless testing whether should buy a particular lens anot.

My reply could be irrelevant and I would like to share my perspective in this area; and no offence to anyone.

My colleague owns a nikon 24-70 while previously, I owned a 70-200 and we borrowed the lenses from each others at times. I always has the mentality and prepared that my 70-200 would never be as good as it was due to drops or in worst case, it might never be returned to me (total lost) whenever I lent him the lens.

I'm not saying my colleague is a careless person or someone who doesn't show due considerations for other's properties but accident do happens from time to time. In other words, I take it upon myself as being partly responsible when thing turns out bad; damaged or lost lens as I trust my colleague to take all necessary precautions and moreover, I am the 1 who decided to lend in the 1st place. If I do not want anything to happen to my lens or camera etc, I would flatly say 'No' right from the start regardless of our friendship or relationship as some of the CSers have mentioned here.

Many times, I come across relationships turning sour because 1 party fail to return the thing, be it money, equipment etc, due to lost; or the thing is returned in a bad shape and the owner would curse and swear. It is understandably and natural for the owner to react in that way since that thing is of value. But I always remind myself that if I had not agree to lend in the 1st place because I cannot bear the consequences of damages or lost, then such reactions would be avoided. If I decide to lend, then there is always a possibility, no matter how small it is, that I may not receive the thing in original state or even not get it back at all.

I'm not earning big bucks or lots of cash to readily replace my equipment; it is a way of managing my expectations of returned equipment after my colleague or anyone else who borrowed them.

Just my personal opinion on the subject of lending.

My reply could be irrelevant and I would like to share my perspective in this area; and no offence to anyone.

My colleague owns a nikon 24-70 while previously, I owned a 70-200 and we borrowed the lenses from each others at times. I always has the mentality and prepared that my 70-200 would never be as good as it was due to drops or in worst case, it might never be returned to me (total lost) whenever I lent him the lens.

I'm not saying my colleague is a careless person or someone who doesn't show due considerations for other's properties but accident do happens from time to time. In other words, I take it upon myself as being partly responsible when thing turns out bad; damaged or lost lens as I trust my colleague to take all necessary precautions and moreover, I am the 1 who decided to lend in the 1st place. If I do not want anything to happen to my lens or camera etc, I would flatly say 'No' right from the start regardless of our friendship or relationship as some of the CSers have mentioned here.

Many times, I come across relationships turning sour because 1 party fail to return the thing, be it money, equipment etc, due to lost; or the thing is returned in a bad shape and the owner would curse and swear. It is understandably and natural for the owner to react in that way since that thing is of value. But I always remind myself that if I had not agree to lend in the 1st place because I cannot bear the consequences of damages or lost, then such reactions would be avoided. If I decide to lend, then there is always a possibility, no matter how small it is, that I may not receive the thing in original state or even not get it back at all.

I'm not earning big bucks or lots of cash to readily replace my equipment; it is a way of managing my expectations of returned equipment after my colleague or anyone else who borrowed them.

Just my personal opinion on the subject of lending.

Sadly, the person I lent my equipment to is a b***h. I have no hopes in this person.
She expect too much with too little. Grumble grumble grumble.

I tell her my film camera I buy 250, want to sell her @ 250. Still ask me friendship price, and why selling same price.
No sense of economics?

i have no problems telling pple "no", "cannot", "buay sai", "tak boleh", "bu ke yi".

if they insist, i have a lot of other words to use. and anyway, they shouldn't. its my property and i am not obligated to lend.

on the other hand, if i am willing to lend, i am just as willing to give it away. i did lend my k1000 to a friend before and i was prepared not to sweat it if it didn't come back in one piece. it turned out fine.

in your case, if this person is your friend, i think friendship is more valuable than $250 and you should just forget it.

if this person is just an acquaintance, just get whatever amt u can as compensation to minimise loses and forget about this person.

the situation is very simple. no need to over-complicate things.

Frankly... most of my friends are photographers themselves, so they know what they can borrow and what they cannot... camera equipment is something that I don't lent out... unless I am there to supervise like what i have mentioned in my first post.

however if really there are some thick skin fella who wanted to borrow my camera stuff and bring somewhere else, I will just tell him/her "no." and thats it. Really, there is no very polite way to reject a person... some people would simply act blur and purposely not catch the hint, so you must be very clear... "No means no." and thats it.

If that fella is really your friend, he/she will understand and move on. If not... then... too bad.

and yet, there are still a group of people recommend newbie to buy same brand of dslr as his/her friends, reason- can borrow lenses.. :dunno:

and yet, there are still a group of people recommend newbie to buy same brand of dslr as his/her friends, reason- can borrow lenses.. :dunno:

scary.. I will never do this anymore, even if I like my brand.

that is one of the biggest myth in the photography community and it almost never happens :bsmilie:

purely practical reasons too - if spoil how to settle? problem lah...

I won't lend my lenses or camera bodies to anyone unless it's a family member i know i can trust.... And of course lending to someone who stays under the same roof means it's easier to harass if any repairs are needed should damages occur

Remeber not to ask or take favours from others. Pay back time will be difficult! ;)

Maybe I am a person who is too serious but I have a few rules about photography equipment to others.
1. If I'm not there, forget it.
2. Don't joke about dropping my camera. One guy dropped it on purpose only to "save" it by holding the strap to see how scared I would be. My strap is only a standard factory one and my lens is pretty heavy. I will never EVER let him touch my camera again.
3. If I ever decide to lend it to someone (assuming I trust that person enough), I consider the camera lost the moment I pass it to them. So no matter how bad the condition is when it comes back, I'm happy I got it back. That's all.

PS: Oh, and all of my friends know how expensive my gears are, so they know well to stay away from them and handle them with a lot of care if they ever get to touch my camera.

Last edited:
Maybe I am a person who is too serious but I have a few rules about photography equipment to others.
1. If I'm not there, forget it.
2. Don't joke about dropping my camera. One guy dropped it on purpose only to "save" it by holding the strap to see how scared I would be. My strap is only a standard factory one and my lens is pretty heavy. I will never EVER let him touch my camera again.
3. If I ever decide to lend it to someone (assuming I trust that person enough), I consider the camera lost the moment I pass it to them. So no matter how bad the condition is when it comes back, I'm happy I got it back. That's all.

PS: Oh, and all of my friends know how expensive my gears are, so they know well to stay away from them and handle them with a lot of care if they ever get to touch my camera.

Nice, learnt something from you too.
Always buy the good and expensive stuff, then they will stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.