Reivew - Tripod - Sirui R1204 + G20

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
Following Dennis' and Nightwolf's posts, I made a trip to tkfoto and got myself a Sirui R1204 Carbon fibre tripod with G20 ballhead.

Dennis Post | Nightwolf's quick review on N1204

Background

I was using a manfrotto 190xb + 488RC0, and was happy with the performance in the tripod in terms of stability and features. But i was never a fan of the weight of that combination, 1.8KG + 0.83KG = 2.63KG (thats a LOAD to carry on top of your gears). As a result, the setup more of less stayed at home most of the time.
So i was looking for something light, a carbon fibre tripod. The 190CX series came into mind, but it still weighs 1.3KG, and together with the ballhead, it's still not very portable.

Next up was to consider the benro carbon fibre series, (cheaper than manfrotto), btu the build does not impress me after playing around it them at some shops.

Thats when i came across the posts by Dennis and Nightwolf, and went down to TKfoto to take a look at the Sirui tripods.

The difference between the R and N series is that, the R series is a normal tripod, where as the N series has the ability to fold the legs up to be more compact when bringing around, as well as it features a removable leg to be used as a monopod, for more details on that, can review to nightwolf's post.

Review

Back to the R1204, it weighs 0.8kg and is able to take load of up to 10kg.
it feels good as compared to benro, and seems rather stable, don't let the thin legs fool you.
The legs extends with ease which no resistance when u turn the knobs.
As compared to the manfrotto 190xb, the R1204 is able to to reach higher, but when going on low angles, it does not go as low as the 190xb.

The G20 ballhead performs really well, no creeping even when mounted with a d700gripped with 70200 2.8.
Ballhead is really smooth, i prefer alot more as compared to the 488RC2 which creeps.
It features friction control as well, which is popular among all the newer ballheads, and is featured in manfrotto new line of ballheads as well.

On the Field
Brought the tripod together with the 70200 2.8 up to pinnacle at duxton 50 storey sky garden, the wind was really strong!, but the tripod stood strong against the wind with the 70200 mounted, this is done without using the camera bag to bring down the center of gravity of the setup.

A session out with the tripod on yesterday afternoon till evening, it serves me very well, and is a real joy to carry around.
Stable and light weight, nothing more i can ask for.

Nitpicking time:
  1. There's a blue sleeve grip that is attached to one of the tripod leg, it feels quite nice and soft, but i feel that the grip that is attached (non-removable) to the tripod that is featured in manfrotto and benro tripods are much better
  2. The quick release plate of the ballhead could be improved, currently an allen-key is need to fully tighten the plate onto the body/tripod mount of the lens.

Conclusion
Given the price of the tripod, it really impresses me with the quality. if gitzo is way out of your budget, this is really an option to consider.

Photos to share

4281604178_026cdd6a16_o.jpg

The boxes

4281604752_4e701bfd05_o.jpg

Comes with a tripod bag which fits the ballhead and tripod nicely

4281605436_a6bcdf7de7_o.jpg

4281605750_14d5b8278d_o.jpg

4280862431_4235c44f7e_o.jpg

Last edited:
nice! i own a R2204 oso! it preparing to go pinnacle soon! :)

Thanks! Nice review. Makes me want to replace my 190xpro too. :p

nice! i own a R2204 oso! it preparing to go pinnacle soon! :)
i tried the 2204 too, but too big for me, haha. anyway the sunset from pinnacle is nice, u'll love it.

Thanks! Nice review. Makes me want to replace my 190xpro too. :p
what are u waiting for!!! =p

Great review :)

thanks

whats the damage? :)
PM-ed u the damage

i tried the 2204 too, but too big for me, haha. anyway the sunset from pinnacle is nice, u'll love it.

what are u waiting for!!! =p

thanks

PM-ed u the damage
i find that the size is just rite. not too big. compare to some similar counter part. i consider this is slimmer in some way. wieght wise, i no need to explain. the tripod is quite portable. i use to own a small alu tripod. the length is 2/3 of my current tripod but base on the carrying exp, i feel almost the same.long or short i oso cross sling and carry. wahaha

i find that the size is just rite. not too big. compare to some similar counter part. i consider this is slimmer in some way. wieght wise, i no need to explain. the tripod is quite portable. i use to own a small alu tripod. the length is 2/3 of my current tripod but base on the carrying exp, i feel almost the same.long or short i oso cross sling and carry. wahaha

will cause problem if too long if used for travelling :p

i think i go for the same model as TS. :)

will cause problem if too long if used for travelling :p

i think i go for the same model as TS. :)
imho, if you are compare length of R1204 and R2204, it just 2 cm diff when retracted. Weight is more of the matter :)

FYI, the leg of R2204 is much thicker to R1204. i personally feel that R2204 is more stable as compare.

Last edited:
Wow, a nice review..However I'd like the reviewer the address my following concerns

1. Did you test this setup for any macro / product shots?
2. Is the ball head capable of accepting Arca type quick release plates?

I use Benro CF legs with Markins M20 as my Benro Ball head couldn't handle the mirror slap vibration well during macro shots. I tried almost everything and finally replacing the ball head solved my problem.

imho, if you are compare length of R1204 and R2204, it just 2 cm diff when retracted. Weight is more of the matter :)

FYI, the leg of R2204 is much thicker to R1204. i personally feel that R2204 is more stable as compare.

yeap, it's more stable than the R1204, but as the legs are thicker, i chose the slimmer 1, haha. btw, for those looking for a even more stable version, the r2204 is just slightly more expensive.

Wow, a nice review..However I'd like the reviewer the address my following concerns

1. Did you test this setup for any macro / product shots?
2. Is the ball head capable of accepting Arca type quick release plates?

I use Benro CF legs with Markins M20 as my Benro Ball head couldn't handle the mirror slap vibration well during macro shots. I tried almost everything and finally replacing the ball head solved my problem.

1. Nope, hardly shoot those, so cant comment on this
2. can't answer this as well, haha. actually i'm looking to replace the quick release plate as well, hope there are other brand's QR plates that will fit.

1. Nope, hardly shoot those, so cant comment on this
2. can't answer this as well, haha. actually i'm looking to replace the quick release plate as well, hope there are other brand's QR plates that will fit.

Thanks for the reply. My Markins couldn't take those cheaper Arca quick release alternatives well (Vanguard especially, Benro fits well though). However all those big brands are fitting well on this M20.

When I dissected my Benro Ball head, I was appalled by the quality of the interiors :(

The S-series looks like seriously good for travel use !! :bigeyes:

a mid-sized tripod without any of the bulk!!

I really hope they will make a smaller tripod like Benro's C069.