Regrading Reformatting Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC_Photographer

Apr 19, 2005
Woodlands
hi all, i having problem reformatting my comp... as i insert my XP Cd to the cd-rom. my comp does promt me " Press any key to boot from CD " but when i press anykey.. it doesnt show anything...

HOw :dunno:

FC_Photographer said:
hi all, i having problem reformatting my comp... as i insert my XP Cd to the cd-rom. my comp does promt me " Press any key to boot from CD " but when i press anykey.. it doesnt show anything...

is it a full version or upgrade XP Cd? full version should be able to boot up from CD/DVD Rom not unless there scratches that might affect the boot sector of the media.

I think u can get replacement CDs from M$?

Try pressing it the moment you know it's going to appear then keep pressing. That's what I did yesterday, hope it helps.

try another cd

correct me if im wrong...but formatting from the OS cd doesnt really do a full format does it? i find it still have a couple of windows settings there if i do that.

i usually take the hdd outof the pc, use the external drive to format the thing w the laptop. den put back and re-install the OS like a brand new system.

uncleparty said:
correct me if im wrong...but formatting from the OS cd doesnt really do a full format does it? i find it still have a couple of windows settings there if i do that.

i usually take the hdd outof the pc, use the external drive to format the thing w the laptop. den put back and re-install the OS like a brand new system.
Depends on how you do it, for me I will format the partition again totally, else it will install over the existing OS on the system. Else I will delete the parition and create it again, thus I will be sure the system will format the partition before installing.

FC_Photographer said:

Put the disc in .. Restart your computer ..

Immediately press the 'Delete' button many times .. It will bring you to bios.
In bios .. go to Bios Cmos setup utility

You will see
First boot device = Floppy
2nd boot devivce = Harddisk
3rd boot device = Cd Rom

Change the first boot device from floppy to Cdrom. Using the (-.+) key. Exit and save as.

It will prompt you "Press any key to boot from CD" on your next start up.

After install finish your XP .. remember to change the first boot device to floppy. And u will boot winXP for the first time.

Happy reformatting

You can also put it this way:
First boot device : Floppy
2nd boot devivce : CdRom
3rd boot device : Harddisk

Like this you don have to go to bios to change back. This is what I set on my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.