Regards to photo printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashbug

Dec 1, 2008
East
Hello would like to ask something. I just recently developed about 250 photos from a shop near my place.

I realized that the photos are cropped off at the corners but was told that this is normal.
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/jermeenator/?action=view&current=IMG_5583.jpg
The photos are straight from my DSLR (eos 450d) with no cropping done, and I have always thought that it will fit nicely on photo paper since the ratio is the same.

Quite frustrating but the shop assuredme that this is what I can expect so I shouldn't crop too tight in future.

Can anyone shed some light in this matter?

Thanks.

I took a photo and attached it. Hope someone can tell me if 4R does this, or is the shop just giving me bad printing?

Last edited:
what size did you print?

Corners? Edges u mean?
What size did you print? FYI, only 4R and S8R have the same aspect ratio as your pics.

I'm not pushing a product for HP, but I remember somewhere that the photos taken aren't in the old sizes of 35mm film.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/con...tter_photos/tips/cropping-digital-photos.html

It seems that some digitals take in 4:3 format, whilst traditionally (and hence 4R sizes etc) are based on a 3:2 format. I personally use snapfish to develop my digital prints, they do offer to keep the original 4:3 format or offer to crop for free before printing.

So do read up on this slight tidbit... most people don't know about it till it throws their photos off. Also... woe betide those who don't know about it and the photo kiosk doesn't tell them but alters the pictures anyway.

Cheers

I meant edges. I printed in 4R. it seems like there is a slight enlargement because the images are cropped off at the sides.

I meant edges. I printed in 4R. it seems like there is a slight enlargement because the images are cropped off at the sides.
I assume you ordered the print without borders, yes, default setting at the lab is FILL IN, so you get about 98.5% of the image area printed on a 4R print, to be very particular, ask for FIT IN in future, you will get about 99.5%, they will still cut a little, else you will get a thin white line at the edge if the paper roll does not fit nicely in the machine.

I assume you ordered the print without borders, yes, default setting at the lab is FILL IN, so you get about 98.5% of the image area printed on a 4R print, to be very particular, ask for FIT IN in future, you will get about 99.5%, they will still cut a little, else you will get a thin white line at the edge if the paper roll does not fit nicely in the machine.

Thanks for the reply.
So that means that I should not crop too tightly in future because chances are the edges will definitely be further 'cropped' when printing?

In that case, will printing a white border resolve the problem of still having the 0.5% being cropped off?

**p/s: I attached a link to a photo that i developed side by side the digital soft copy (above)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
So that means that I should not crop too tightly in future because chances are the edges will definitely be further 'cropped' when printing?

In that case, will printing a white border resolve the problem of still having the 0.5% being cropped off?

**p/s: I attached a link to a photo that i developed side by side the digital soft copy (above)
It seen the print has crop off alot, and your digital file of group photo does not seem to be in 2:3 ratio.
I just open your image in photoshop to confirm, the digital file is indeed in 3:4 ratio, it more suitable to be printed on DSC 4R paper size.

you have to find out why the image file in 3:4 ratio now.

thank you for taking the time and effort to answer my queries. Appreciate it catchlights. =)

thread closed on my end =)

Status
Not open for further replies.