regarding unregistered warrenty

MelodyMusic

Mar 19, 2010
Hi there,
I've been using my 500 d for the last 2 years however my warrenty is yet to be filled and register . Will Canon void away my warrenty ?

MelodyMusic said:
Hi there,
I've been using my 500 d for the last 2 years however my warrenty is yet to be filled and register . Will Canon void away my warrenty ?

Canon warranty is usually for one year right?

Hi there,

If you don't register your warranty, they will take the date that they "sold" the sets to the local stores. This is from experience and enquiry.

Considering 500D was released in April 2009 in Singapore, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/506545-eos-500d-released-sgp.html
and already replaced by 2 models, 550D and 600D, it will be quite obvious even if you register the warranty now which shows Dec 2011.

You will need to prove with a receipt that shows you have bought the 500D recently since most stores have stopped carrying the 500D.

Meaning to say, when they check their system, they can see that this set is more than 2 years old + (the period the store has kept it) - and it is not quite possible any camera store will hold 500D for that long.

takafan said:
If you don't register your warranty, they will take the date that they "sold" the sets to the local stores. This is from experience and enquiry.

Considering 500D was released in April 2009 in Singapore, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/506545-eos-500d-released-sgp.html
and already replaced by 2 models, 550D and 600D, it will be quite obvious even if you register the warranty now which shows Dec 2011.

You will need to prove with a receipt that shows you have bought the 500D recently since most stores have stopped carrying the 500D.

Meaning to say, when they check their system, they can see that this set is more than 2 years old + (the period the store has kept it) - and it is not quite possible any camera store will hold 500D for that long.

Thanks for you info ^^ , I better do something about the warrenty. Hope they yet to void it ><

MelodyMusic said:
Thanks for you info ^^ , I better do something about the warrenty. Hope they yet to void it ><

The warranty in your 500D is already expired, since you said you have been using it for 2 years. Warranty starts from the day you purchased the camera.

you need to produce both the warranty card AND the receipt. your warranty starts from the date of purchase as on your receipt. next time, can consider doing the warranty online, as you may be able to get a few more months of extended warranty.

MelodyMusic said:

Most likely will.. as the warranty starts on the date of purchase.

So fill or unfill no different

MelodyMusic said:

Put it this way.

You've used it for 2 years. There's been nothing wrong with it. Canon has more than fulfilled their obligation to supply you a fully serviceable unit.

You still want to cheat them?

there is nothing u can do and warranty is already expired.

i see it all the time in the buy/sell forum that the "warranty card is not filled" for the item being offered for sale... the big rejoinder to that is: "so what?"

in this case, the item was purchased 2 yrs ago. warranty is for one year. if the warranty is not registered, it would be the responsibility of the owner to prove the age of the product through the proof of purchase - i.e. the date on the receipt / invoice.

if u bought "new old stock" from one of the shops and the item breaks within the warranty period, they will do their best for u even though its an old model because warranty is still valid.

if u bought ages ago and warranty is expired already but u're still expecting free servicing now just because u haven't filled up the warranty card, its wishful thinking.

Thanks all for the informations
Wish you all a merry Christmas.
Cheers

there is nothing u can do and warranty is already expired.

i see it all the time in the buy/sell forum that the "warranty card is not filled" for the item being offered for sale... the big rejoinder to that is: "so what?"

in this case, the item was purchased 2 yrs ago. warranty is for one year. if the warranty is not registered, it would be the responsibility of the owner to prove the age of the product through the proof of purchase - i.e. the date on the receipt / invoice.

if u bought "new old stock" from one of the shops and the item breaks within the warranty period, they will do their best for u even though its an old model because warranty is still valid.

if u bought ages ago and warranty is expired already but u're still expecting free servicing now just because u haven't filled up the warranty card, its wishful thinking.

Exactly... some in BNS still can state... warranty not filled and you can service anytime when your gear is spoils. They treated it as a full 12 months warranty... haiz..

Yes indeed, regularly we see in CS BNS thread, end-user resale items with and warranty not registered yet even for very expensive items such as M9 and then go on to say that full 2 years warranty available. How many M9s are sold each month? Agents of such expansive and limited supply items normally have very good dialogue with their distributors/resellers on the status of their stock and not registering these items upon purchase is really opening oneself to problems when the item need warranty servicing. Some products actually stated that warranty need to be registered within a period of time and normally it is 2 weeks, failing which the agent is not obligated to honour such warranty in full. The other practice used to be getting "shops" to leave the dated of purchase blank in written receipts.

I WILL never buy a high value items from anyone who advertised that the warranty is yet to be registered with the local agent and I don&#8217;t think anyone else should. Registration also brings with it benefits and one can approach the local agents for product support after registrations.

I WILL never buy a high value items from anyone who advertised that the warranty is yet to be registered with the local agent and I don’t think anyone else should. Registration also brings with it benefits and one can approach the local agents for product support after registrations.

it makes no difference as long as u're going into it eyes wide open. the seller themselves could be ignorant of how warranty works and may not be trying to cheat or anything.

just have to discount accordingly when making an offer - i.e. i will treat such items as warranty = 0 and offer accordingly.

bear in mind also that many warranty forms indicate that the warranty is "not transferable", meaning to say that once the first buyer sells it, warranty is technically null and void even if the registration was hunky dory and would have been valid for 11 more months otherwise.

so its really up to the customer to not give the service agent the excuse, or the wrong idea when sending in 2nd hand items for servicing ;)

In fact, every time i bring my Canon camera for servicing. They do not look at when you registered your warranty, but rather when they "sold" the sets to the stores.

They will tell you if your set is still in warranty according to the date in their system, and you have to prove your actual warranty with the online registration slip or receipt.

If the variation isn't too far, say for eg less than 6mths from your registration date, they probably wouldn't ask for your receipt.

However, if it is more than 6months then i highly suspect they would. (the 6mths is just my guess, no hard proof)

That said, i registered my warranty as soon as i bought my camera, but still, there was a difference of 3mths from the "sold" date to the stores.

As such, they still requested for my receipt even though i showed the online registration slip i printed. I was told receipt was needed since people can take advantage of the situation by registering later at any time they wanted through the online registration.

This makes a difference because without this 3mths, my camera will be out of warranty.

Therefore.. I suggest, any purchase you make.. do make a photocopy of the receipt(some receipts fade off after time), register your warranty in accordance to the receipt date so that there will be no dispute in future. By registering a different date from your receipt, it is cheating and i believe Canon has a right to reject servicing you for your dishonesty.

The truth is, they can actually not honour your warranty if you do not have a proof of purchase(receipt). Therefore, the most important thing afterall, is still your receipt.

Last edited:
another person trying to pull a quick one on the service provider.

common sense will tell you that no company is stupid enough not to track when the stock was sold to the dealer, or number of transactions. and that's why every warranty has an expiry date.

warranty isn't just to give the customer a peace of mind. it's also used for data collection, illegal exports of local sets among other reasons.

It is already void, nothing to worry anymore. You can safely focus on photography now.

Octarine said:
It is already void, nothing to worry anymore. You can safely focus on photography now.

Hahas true. Cause recently I packing my room due to coming cny and found my camera box so I open and found out that my warrenty was still unfilled.

OT to TS, dont believe those people that you can have more warranty because they have not been registered online. Registered or not, the warranty is expiring on the same date. The warranty starts from the day of purchase in the local store not from the day of registration online.

TS, I have checked with Canon about Registration of Warranty.

1. If you buy from someone who did not register the warranty - If it is still within 12 - 15 months of the equipment, you can register under your name (note: best you have the receipt of purchased from the seller)

2. If the person registered his name for warranty - You can change to your name for that equipment with Canon after the warranty expired.

Hope this helps :D