Regarding no photographs please rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabee

Mar 12, 2009
Upper Serangoon
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, I have a few questions being a newbie shooter so I don't get pushed around by 'security' guards.

When I am requested to stop shooting in malls/hotels, am I obliged to stop?
If I do not, what can they do to me?
Do I have to delete photos already taken if requested? If I do not, can I use them?
Do they have a right to ask me to stop taking pictures even from OUTSIDE the buildings?

What about MRT stations for the above questions?

Many thanks for answering my questions :)

This has been asked several times before. You may want to try a search. :)

Use search function, u will find tons of answer to ur questions

;)

Hi guys, I have a few questions being a newbie shooter so I don't get pushed around by 'security' guards.

When I am requested to stop shooting in malls/hotels, am I obliged to stop?
If I do not, what can they do to me?
Do I have to delete photos already taken if requested? If I do not, can I use them?
Do they have a right to ask me to stop taking pictures even from OUTSIDE the buildings?

What about MRT stations for the above questions?

you can shoot whatever things you like, whatever time you like, whatever way you like, if you own those properties.

Defuse the situation right on....

Oh, no photo taking ah ? Sorry agh...sorry.

just keep your camera and walk off.

hi guys, i have a few questions being a newbie shooter so i don't get pushed around by 'security' guards.

When i am requested to stop shooting in malls/hotels, am i obliged to stop?
If i do not, what can they do to me?
Do i have to delete photos already taken if requested? If i do not, can i use them?
Do they have a right to ask me to stop taking pictures even from outside the buildings?

What about mrt stations for the above questions?

use the FREE search function

you can shoot whatever things you like, whatever time you like, whatever way you like, if you own those properties.

The same goes for every other location that one doesn't own - just don't get caught :bsmilie:

TS: you may want to search for posting from 'vince123123' - he has given a few very detailed explanations about the legal background of shooting in shopping malls and other premises that might appear 'public' but still have some limitations.

The same goes for every other location that one doesn't own - just don't get caught :bsmilie:

TS: you may want to search for posting from 'vince123123' - he has given a few very detailed explanations about the legal background of shooting in shopping malls and other premises that might appear 'public' but still have some limitations.
if go anywhere see anything die die also must shoot, best is bring a lawyer along, so he can give legal advice instantly.

No doubt this question has been asked before many times, but its hard to to separate which opinions come from the "official-black-and-white-legal" stand and which comes from the "unofficial-I-think-this-is-correct" stand.

Would it be possible that someone with legal experience post up the relevant statues (?i'm not even sure I'm using the right legal term here) and we sticky it, we might even print it out to bring along for outings.

I have a suspicion that the "rules" implemented by some guards(or their bosses) was not legally enforceable, but we feel obliged to comply because we are not entirely sure.

No doubt this question has been asked before many times, but its hard to to separate which opinions come from the "official-black-and-white-legal" stand and which comes from the "unofficial-I-think-this-is-correct" stand.

Would it be possible that someone with legal experience post up the relevant statues (?i'm not even sure I'm using the right legal term here) and we sticky it, we might even print it out to bring along for outings.

I have a suspicion that the "rules" implemented by some guards(or their bosses) was not legally enforceable, but we feel obliged to comply because we are not entirely sure.
you want proper legal advice, can always go and consult a lawyer.

you want it to be in "black and white", you need to pay money.

This, I fully agree :) :)

This, I fully agree :) :)

In a way, I agree with you guys paying might be the only way to get it. My point is that if people are willing to share information, than we will not find ourselves being pushed around so much. But money talks.

I'm think there is much legal jargon is to content with, but at the very start, maybe we could be directed to the relevant statues.

Also, I'll like to clarfiy that my "black and white" does not refer to a lawyer letter, its refered to us knowing what statues (?) is relevant and maybe printing that out.

Last edited:
Hi, while in a hotel restaurant, I shoot & nobody cares and someone else follows with flash.
I started shooting my food, drinks etc and later started with the surroundings. I used a point & shoot camera. Security guards are not everywhere. So, shoot when they are not around. Mt P&S camera is in my shirt pocket and I pull it out & shoot within a minute.

In a way, I agree with you guys paying might be the only way to get it. My point is that if people are willing to share information, than we will not find ourselves being pushed around so much. But money talks.

Also, I'll like to clarfiy that my "black and white" does not refer to a lawyer letter, its refered to us knowing what statues (?) is relevant and maybe printing that out.
I do not recommend give money to somebody for granting "permission", or "closing ones eye" in photo taking.

there are many sound advices already given over the years, some CSers already highlighted where you can find them.

anyway, if anyone think that shooting in a shopping mall, MRT, hotel lobby should be the photographers' rights, and nobody should stop photographers from taking photos, or pushing photographers around, there is a way.

Ones can dedicate him/herself for campaigning to be a MP, to voice out the photographers concern and pledge and so it will passing the "photographers' right of take photos in the mall, etc" as a law in the parliament.

this is noble and no one had done is before, does anyone want to do it?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, what i meant my "money talks" is that I recognise that we might need to pay for any legal advices on the issue, not bribing the security. Sorry for not being clear. :embrass:

From my limited knowlege on gathering legal information, it seems that the flaw is that the laws on photography are not too clear to the layman and can be developed to mean something else by word-of-mouth and hearsay.

Sometimes we get into an nasty encounter where the management and photographer has differing views on what is allowed, but neither party can point out which specific Statue/Act supports their respective stands. That is my main point, it would be good if we could find something from http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/, that supports our stand.

No promises, but I will try to seek advice from my friends who practices law and maybe share what I can find here.

maybe get siew kum hong to champion this cause in parliament.

I do not recommend give money to somebody for granting "permission", or "closing ones eye" in photo taking.

there are many sound advices already given over the years, some CSers already highlighted where you can find them.

anyway, if anyone think that shooting in a shopping mall, MRT, hotel lobby should be the photographers' rights, and nobody should stop photographers from taking photos, or pushing photographers around, there is a way.

Ones can dedicate him/herself for campaigning to be a MP, to voice out the photographers concern and pledge and so it will passing the "photographers' right of take photos in the mall, etc" as a law in the parliament.

Personally feel that the best would be to defuse the situation, as cabbySHE said. Why go into an argument just because you want to shoot inside a building? If things get heated up and in the end the photographer "wins" the argument, well, if I were the photographer, I wouldn't wanna take anymore anyway.

Just be sensitive to people. Security guards may have instructions from the management to stop photographers, especially since terrorist bombings are so rampant overseas. I guess it's just another effort to keep the place safe... Be cool man. Most of the time, we won't die if we don't get a certain photo right?

Personally feel that the best would be to defuse the situation, as cabbySHE said. Why go into an argument just because you want to shoot inside a building? If things get heated up and in the end the photographer "wins" the argument, well, if I were the photographer, I wouldn't wanna take anymore anyway.

Just be sensitive to people. Security guards may have instructions from the management to stop photographers, especially since terrorist bombings are so rampant overseas. I guess it's just another effort to keep the place safe... Be cool man. Most of the time, we won't die if we don't get a certain photo right?

I think the idea is not to use the law to get into an argument. The point is to be aware of the law and not feel unduly intimidated.

More likely than not, I would back down and leave the premises, but that would be a decision made with the knowledge that it is not because I broke the law. If the guard demands for me to delete the photo or in extreme cases, detain me, at least I know where the law stands.

If all you require is non-black and white official ; then much information has already been given on this topic for you to consider so that you can exercise your own rights. Hence, I'm not sure what exactly you require.

If you are talking about statutes, there is none that I know of that exists regarding the taking of or prohibiting of photography in common and public places.

Also, not all laws are codified and encapsulated in statutes; some are made and decided by cases, which is how the term "common law" and "case law" came about.

I'm think there is much legal jargon is to content with, but at the very start, maybe we could be directed to the relevant statues.

I would like to add that most criminal laws are prohibitive in nature; which means that they will say "you can't do this and that, otherwise kena this and that" or "you must do this and that; otherwise you kena this and that".

What it also means is that if there is no law specifying that you CANNOT take photographs, then there is no need to ask the MP to create a law which says that you CAN take photographs.

For example, it is not illegal to walk along the footpath, or to eat char kway teow, and hence, there is no need to create a law whcih says you are allowed to walk along the foothpath, or eat char kway teow.

Status
Not open for further replies.