Regarding nikon D700!

babetrice

May 16, 2009
I got a Nikon D700 recently... Just wanna ask for those who have Nikon D700.. When you use the Manual mode.. Do you encounter having the metering moving.. Cause sometimes when I shoot using manual mode, it will either be overexposed or underexposed... Is there anyway that we can stop the metering from moving so that when I shoot the metering is in the centre where is not underexposed or overexposed?

You should use centre or spot metering then. And you're in manual mode, so you are the one who needs to adjust to compensate for exposure.

I got a Nikon D700 recently... Just wanna ask for those who have Nikon D700.. When you use the Manual mode.. Do you encounter having the metering moving.. Cause sometimes when I shoot using manual mode, it will either be overexposed or underexposed... Is there anyway that we can stop the metering from moving so that when I shoot the metering is in the centre where is not underexposed or overexposed?
did you set at auto ISO?

Nothing wrong with your D700, in facts it happens to most of the DSLR..

When you are using the manual mode and especially the spot metering mode, the EV value will change depends on where you are pointing at. If you are pointing at the darkest area where your EV value happens to be 0 , it will definitely over exposed by at least 2 stops or vice versa. Like what Bro Rashkae mentioned, you are the one who decide the EV value to set.

"Metering at the mid tone and check for highlight" and decide whether you need a ND filter or may be how many shots you need to compose a HDR shot.

Thanks for the reply.. But what if you are taking actual wedding / event shoot? How are you gonna keep adjusting the exposure? Cause you need to capture every shoot or maybe more impt ones so how you guys do it?

catchlights said:
did you set at auto ISO?

It's at auto mode already... Previously when I first got it, I can't even take cause of the metering keep moving even when I use P mode...

If I understand your question correctly, when using manual mode you have to turn the shutter and aperture dials to have the exposure you want.

And if you dont want the "metering" to move, then you can use either Apertue or Shutter priority mode. (this is provided the lighting condition is not in the extremes)

It's at auto mode already... Previously when I first got it, I can't even take cause of the metering keep moving even when I use P mode...
I'm confuse on how you describe it.....

the meter indicator will move when the scene change, the lighting change, that is how the TTL metering works, if you on auto, P, A, S mode, the exposure setting will follow what the meter suggest, if you on manual mode, you can change the shutter speed and aperture to follow or not to follow what the camera meter suggest.

if you still blur on this, please read post#9 onward of Photography Notes For Newbies

btw, it is not about D700, all DSLR works this way.

Thanks for the reply.. But what if you are taking actual wedding / event shoot? How are you gonna keep adjusting the exposure? Cause you need to capture every shoot or maybe more impt ones so how you guys do it?

Shoot in aperture mode, or use a flash to control the exposure.

TS,

Pls do yourself a favour. Relearn the basics of photography. It has nothing to do with which metering mode you set, it has nothing to do with most DSLR - in fact all SLR regardless of film or digital works the same when it is set to manual mode.

I know I am blunt but I just do not want you to learn the wrong things and not able to appreciate photography, especially when you such a wonderful piece of hardware - D700. The reason why the exposure metering changes is dependent on the setting you assigned to the camera's ISO, shutter speed and aperture setting. When in manual mode, you decide how you want the picture to be exposed. The camera will accept whatever setting you give, even it if means the outcome will be overexposed, underexposed or correctly exposed.

Experienced actual day wedding photographers are seasoned enough to know when the lighting condition changes - either due to the ambience lighting changes or he/she moves from one location to another - resulting in different exposure reading. As such, he/she will be quick enough to make chaneges to the camera setting to dial to the effects he/she desires. In certain instances, some photographers prefer to use aperture mode or shutter priority mode. A the end it all depends on our level of comfort and shooting style and the behavior of your camera.

It will take a while to appreciate manual control. You can practice shooting in aperture mode first and slowly moved to shutter priority to see if either of these modes suit you better.

Cheers,

Daniel

Last edited:
Is there anyway that we can stop the metering from moving so that when I shoot the metering is in the centre

Are you talking about metering mode or focusing point?
You are using manual mode but still using auto focus right?

Last edited:
babetrice said:

I think u should start shooting from aperture mode first, as a beginner, and learn about shutter and full manual as time goes by.

You can also go to the library & look for this book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It will help you understand how exposure & the camera metering works.

Last edited: