Regarding filters

niunai

Jul 28, 2008
hello Csers,

I want to ask abt polarizer filter and GND filter.

When i surf the landscape/architect forum, many beautiful shots are sometime taken with these filters

i google on them and found out that polarizer is to minimize reflection so when taking landscape with water, the reflection will be lesser and water will look clearer. is this what it is really for?

while GND filter most of the time is for sunset, sunrise or blue sky. the filter make the more expose part of the sky better contrast with the surrounding and bring out more detail right?

last question, is the two filter use together? and is it readily available in sg? cos i more into landscape photography.

thanks

hello Csers,

I want to ask abt polarizer filter and GND filter.

When i surf the landscape/architect forum, many beautiful shots are sometime taken with these filters

i google on them and found out that polarizer is to minimize reflection so when taking landscape with water, the reflection will be lesser and water will look clearer. is this what it is really for?

while GND filter most of the time is for sunset, sunrise or blue sky. the filter make the more expose part of the sky better contrast with the surrounding and bring out more detail right?

last question, is the two filter use together? and is it readily available in sg? cos i more into landscape photography.

thanks

1. Yes you are mostly right about what polarizers are for but polarizers also deepens the blue of the sky and is able to saturate colours. Minimizing of reflection is not only limited to water, works with reflection from other reflective surfaces such as windows as well.

2. GND filters are used so that you can capture the colour of the sky without under exposing the subjects and vice versa.

3. No, do not stack any filters over one another even though you can do so, it degrades image quality and have higher chances of causing problems such as flares and vignetting. Both types of filters are readily available in a wide variety of brands and prices in any photography store in Singapore.

Hope that helps:)

3. No, do not stack any filters over one another even though you can do so, it degrades image quality and have higher chances of causing problems such as flares and vignetting. Both types of filters are readily available in a wide variety of brands and prices in any photography store in Singapore.

Landscape photographers do stack filters at times, when the desired effect requires it. We very seldom stack a CPL with a GND. We mostly stack ND with GND. Personally, I will avoid stacking more than 2 filters.

So, the hard rule is, if you do stack... fire away and check for flares in the display. If there is flare, you'll need to unstack, unless you think the flare is welcomed in that image... right?

I'd think in most sunset/sunrise conditions, there is a great chance to stack at least two filters like DD123 mentioned - ND + GND. If you want to have that misty look of running water around the rocks for example, against the rising/setting sun backdrop... Otherwise, how else would you be able to achieve that without stacking the above? To prevent flaring, would having a good set of lens (that has elements to reduce flaring) help?

Last edited:
So, the hard rule is, if you do stack... fire away and check for flares in the display. If there is flare, you'll need to unstack, unless you think the flare is welcomed in that image... right?

I'd think in most sunset/sunrise conditions, there is a great chance to stack at least two filters like DD123 mentioned - ND + GND. If you want to have that misty look of running water around the rocks for example, against the rising/setting sun backdrop... Otherwise, how else would you be able to achieve that without stacking the above? To prevent flaring, would having a good set of lens (that has elements to reduce flaring) help?

Usually sunrise and sunset, there are no glaring lights to cause flare in the first place.

If there is, the best thing is to change an angle or perspective to try get the flare to go away. If flare still persist, rethink shot and go for a different look (ie. remove filter(s) or shoot different view).

1. Yes you are mostly right about what polarizers are for but polarizers also deepens the blue of the sky and is able to saturate colours. Minimizing of reflection is not only limited to water, works with reflection from other reflective surfaces such as windows as well.
in general, anything nonmetallic with reflections goes.

Hope that helps:)

the word "unnecessarily" should be included, i.e. "do not stacking any filters over one another unnecessarily" would be better.

i frequently stack ND 110 with GND.

not just flare is the problem...

heck care about image degradation, more filters = more funny casts.

in the end your photograph will look in no way like the original scene you saw, and then editing it becomes a bit silly, because it's like, centred around trying to remove color casts than actually improving the photo.

in the end your photograph will look in no way like the original scene you saw, and then editing it becomes a bit silly, because it's like, centred around trying to remove color casts than actually improving the photo.

and i agree with this;) i spend more time trying to remove the purplish casts from my photo than making sure the images are aligned:embrass:

Thanks all for your prompt reply. I think i should start reading up more on filter and considering getting them. Actually i frequently visit CSers flikr and blog. Some photos are taken with filter and not hdr which are beautiful. I think night86mare also did use filters in his reservior shots. Inspired to reach that level. As for now, i am still in learning process. Once again thanks everyone for ur un-selfish prompt reply

Landscape photographers do stack filters at times, when the desired effect requires it. We very seldom stack a CPL with a GND. We mostly stack ND with GND. Personally, I will avoid stacking more than 2 filters.

the word "unnecessarily" should be included, i.e. "do not stacking any filters over one another unnecessarily" would be better.

i frequently stack ND 110 with GND.

Haha, has always been told never to stack, guess i learned something new:)

Haha, has always been told never to stack, guess i learned something new:)

well, if you do things like stack ND and CPL over a UV filter, is quite clear that the UV filter is unnecessary.

that was probably the context in which you were told not to "stack" filters. :) otherwise, if you need what the filter adds to your picture, why not? just make sure they are not smudged, etc and everything should be fine.

Usually sunrise and sunset, there are no glaring lights to cause flare in the first place.

If there is, the best thing is to change an angle or perspective to try get the flare to go away. If flare still persist, rethink shot and go for a different look (ie. remove filter(s) or shoot different view).

Like a strong light from a spotlight or lamp post on a jetty in front...? Yeah, I get what you mean. We just have to find a better angle then.

I hear you, thanks!

Having no experience on the hard resin filters, just how does one maintain their clarrity, since they are prone to scratches and dusts?... :sweat:

Heck, just get them and figure out later...

Having no experience on the hard resin filters, just how does one maintain their clarrity, since they are prone to scratches and dusts?... :sweat:

i dunno what material my tian yas are made of

but it's simple, as long as no super big scratch, just continue using, wipe with microfibre cloth. use lens cleaning solution if need be.

if too big, just get a new one, pass the old one to someone else who might be grateful.

i dunno what material my tian yas are made of

but it's simple, as long as no super big scratch, just continue using, wipe with microfibre cloth. use lens cleaning solution if need be.

if too big, just get a new one, pass the old one to someone else who might be grateful.

Thanks for the suggestions, will do so when the need arises. No use for broad soft sable brush? (One light and clean sweep to get rid of any loose fibre/dust)?

I'm sure you would know, but I'll say it nevertheless for those unaware. To check for whether it's glass or plastic/resin - hold one end and tap with your finger nail at the other end of the material. Glass material tend to vibrate it off as "tenggg/tunggg......" Plastic/resin: "tek!" (short vibrations) So much for sound effects... That's how I check for material used on my Nikon lens bodies... :bsmilie: Plastic or metal...plastic gives of "tak tak sound", Metal, "tk..tk..."

Last edited:
it is best to go through the filter with a blower quickly first to dislodge any potentially abrasive particles that are loose and lying on the filter, of course.

no different from cleaning lens, but don't have to be so thorough.

it is best to go through the filter with a blower quickly first to dislodge any potentially abrasive particles that are loose and lying on the filter, of course.

no different from cleaning lens, but don't have to be so thorough.

Okay then, blower it is!

Thanks for the suggestions, will do so when the need arises. No use for broad soft sable brush? (One light and clean sweep to get rid of any loose fibre/dust)?

I'm sure you would know, but I'll say it nevertheless for those unaware. To check for whether it's glass or plastic/resin - hold one end and tap with your finger nail at the other end of the material. Glass material tend to vibrate it off as "tenggg/tunggg......" Plastic/resin: "tek!" (short vibrations) So much for sound effects... That's how I check for material used on my Nikon lens bodies... :bsmilie: Plastic or metal...plastic gives of "tak tak sound", Metal, "tk..tk..."

Actually the proper term for the material Cokin P and Tianya filters are made of is "Optical Resin". Even Hitech and Lee filters are mostly Resin. Only the NDs Lee pro-glass series are glass. If you want all glass filters, get the Schneider 100mm filters. Yes, the same company that owns and makes B+W filters. Super expensive though, you have been warned.

Actually the proper term for the material Cokin P and Tianya filters are made of is "Optical Resin". Even Hitech and Lee filters are mostly Resin. Only the NDs Lee pro-glass series are glass. If you want all glass filters, get the Schneider 100mm filters. Yes, the same company that owns and makes B+W filters. Super expensive though, you have been warned.

No nos - I may sound crazy at times, but I ain't that nutty! So, warning accepted! :bsmilie:

Glass huh? Hmmmm.... :think:

:bsmilie: