regarding filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys im thinking of buying filters but am not sure about the sizes,from what I understand, canon ef s 18-200m lens has a lens size of 72mm (what im using now) and ef-s 17-55mm which has the size of 77mm. My question is should i buy 77m filter and a step down ring to use it with the 18-200mm or otherwise?

I was going through the filter price guide thread and notice that there isnt any Hoya 72mm ND filter? issit true or it just wasnt listed..
thanks.

You may wish to consider a cokin set, not the screw in type like hoya

Read this
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530206

ohh ok..there are certain things that i dont really understand, so for different lens size i have to use different adapter ring so that my filters can be share about different lens?

its 1 adpater ring: 1 lens size type or 1 adapter ring : many lens size type?

ohh ok..there are certain things that i dont really understand, so for different lens size i have to use different adapter ring so that my filters can be share about different lens?

FYI, the P or A adapter can take different size rings, different filter size lens need a correspond size ring, so you buy the rings in all the sizes you need and one P or A adapter, and you can get just one filter for different filter size of lens.

FYI, the P or A adapter can take different size rings, different filter size lens need a correspond size ring, so you buy the rings in all the sizes you need and one P or A adapter, and you can get just one filter for different filter size of lens.

Hi catchlights, what you are saying are for square filters that need the holder and not the screw on type right? I've read the thread that was referred in earlier post and it seems like square filters with holders are recommneded, however I do not have an prior experience in using them before, could give me advise or suggestion on which type to get?

You would always be buying the largest diameter filter based on your lens pool. And will be using step-up ring instead. So in your situation will require 72mm (lens side) - 77mm (filter side) step-up ring and the filter size is 77mm.

Hi guys im thinking of buying filters but am not sure about the sizes,from what I understand, canon ef s 18-200m lens has a lens size of 72mm (what im using now) and ef-s 17-55mm which has the size of 77mm. My question is should i buy 77m filter and a step down ring to use it with the 18-200mm or otherwise?
thanks.

I guess your question can be solve in camera shops like CP, if you cannot find your answer after Google.

My own opinion and experience: you may ask salesperson about this kind of slightly technical question, they will know and answer you, may not be accurate. Just don't ask them which brand is better / or listen to their recommendation blindly.

Read Cokin's website too

Wikipedia: Photographic Filters

Using Photographic Filters
Of course, Google would also help with any other topics. Or simply follow the links in these documents.

I've read about it already, Im asking those that use both the screw on type and the square type which they prefer, certain things I feel that you cant read and can only experience it. I wont get that type of experience by trying it out at the shop cuz there is simply not enough time. :)

things I wanna ask are like, you can turn and adjust the cpl till you like it but can I also do the same on the square type placed in a holder as well? can i turn and adjust them like the screw on type?

I've read about it already, Im asking those that use both the screw on type and the square type which they prefer, certain things I feel that you cant read and can only experience it. I wont get that type of experience by trying it out at the shop cuz there is simply not enough time. :)

things I wanna ask are like, you can turn and adjust the cpl till you like it but can I also do the same on the square type placed in a holder as well? can i turn and adjust them like the screw on type?

The CPL on square holder is actually circle in shape, which allows you to rotate. It is economical as it can fit many lenses - just need to get the adaptor rings. But they are flimsy as compared to screw on type.

For me, since I only use CPL and gradual ND most; having 2 lens diameter only, I just stick with circular threaded filter.

If I am not bringing a tripod on a trip, I will leave the ND and IR filter behind.

As mentioned, the CPL is actually a round filter. See here: http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html The second chapter shows a round filter put into the slot filter holder. So you can freely rotate the filter as you like it. In addition, the filter holder is clipped on the adapter ring and can still be rotated. So you can adjust the GND first to have the transition zone at the level and tilting you need, then you can adjust the CPL.
Alternatively you can also use a normal CPL and screw the Cokin holder onto the CPL filter thread. Works as well.

hi guys, thanks alot for the information. gave me a lot more insights on how this thing works.
Just wondering supposely im going to travel overseas, I suppose the screw in type would give me more convenience of moving around and keeping my camera and taking them out easily?

but in terms of chaning filters, the slot in type would be more convenient right...

For me, it's not about traveling overseas, it's about taking your time instead of wildly snapping around. Good composition needs a bit time, it cannot be corrected later. The filter holder is not heavy, neither are the filters. Get a plastic case of filter pouch for better handling. Screw in GND limits you in terms of composition, the transition zone is always at the middle. Slot in gives the freedom of composition: you can put the transition zone wherever you need it or you can even stack two filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.