Regarding Entry Rule for Olympus Global Open Photo Contest 2017-18

qING

Jan 3, 2006
Hi

There is currently a photo contest organized by Olympus.

I have never taken part before. And I was surprised to see this rule:

"If the subject of a photo is a person, permission must be received from that person (parent or guardian in the case of a minor) before the photo can be entered in the contest."

You can read all the entry conditions here!

Have anyone taken part in the photo contest before? There are a brunch of other copyright things written in point 2, together with the rule above.
So I was wondering if I need some form of "model release form"?

Thank you.

Even before Personal Data Protection became a big thing, this was common. Organizers don't want to be sued for using photos without proper model releases. You should be able to find some online. Or shoot landscapes, animals etc ;)

The condition in many contests that gets most photographers pissed, is the right to unconditional use of any entry by the organizer, even if it doesn't win a prize.

Even before Personal Data Protection became a big thing, this was common. Organizers don't want to be sued for using photos without proper model releases. You should be able to find some online. Or shoot landscapes, animals etc ;)

The condition in many contests that gets most photographers pissed, is the right to unconditional use of any entry by the organizer, even if it doesn't win a prize.

Edwin, thanks for your insight :)

We actually joined ClubSnap in the same year!!! Hahaha. By the way, I love the Direct Mailer targeted at busy Secretaries (from your website)!

Have a great day!

By the way, I love the Direct Mailer targeted at busy Secretaries (from your website)!

Haha, thanks. Was a long time ago. Unfortunately it had to be toned down for use. My client's management changed and thought Singaporean secretaries were too conservative (and he was Canadian!)