Regarding CPL Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid8888

Nov 4, 2009
I came across this link from one of the previous threads:
http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/Ho...blue_sky.shtml

It explained how to use a CPL filter however what i didnt understand was the need to reduce exposure (negative compensation)

The CPL filter reduces light transmission already, so wouldnt negative exposure compensation worsen the picture??shouldnt it be the opposite(+ compensation)??

Also, wouldnt the metering take care of exposure issues (apply +ve compensation automatically)?

I came across this link from one of the previous threads:
http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/Ho...blue_sky.shtml

It explained how to use a CPL filter however what i didnt understand was the need to reduce exposure (negative compensation)

The CPL filter reduces light transmission already, so wouldnt negative exposure compensation worsen the picture??shouldnt it be the opposite(+ compensation)??

Also, wouldnt the metering take care of exposure issues (apply +ve compensation automatically)?

When you attach the CPL, the overall scene becomes darker. Your camera tries to compensate by increasing the exposure, but it may overdo it hence the guide telling you to compensate the compensation by reducing the exposure! Honestly, I've never had to do that, at least not that I can say with any amount of certainty - so just adjust your exposure until your histogram looks right or if you don't like using the histogram, just look at the image on your LCD and decide for yourself.

Hello, sid8888.
I think sabee has rightly explained what the website advisor was trying to say, as quoted below from www.dslrtips.com:
3: To prevent your DSLR from counteracting the polarizing effect, set the White Balance to Daylight and consider applying negative Exposure Compensation of, say, -2/3 or -1 EV.
I have never done that before.
And sincerely I tried reading through this advice several times but I really can't say I agree with what it says.
I would be happy to hear of other member's experience and interpretation of this statement.

And @ 9V-Orion Images, thank you for your help in linking the site.

I have also seen that video before and I am confuse too. I thought our dSLR will automatically compensate by itself once it sense that the picture is dark. Do everyone adjust their exposure settings to compensate this?

Status
Not open for further replies.