regarding 3rd party Lens

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
hi all

i want to get a 70-200m lens with f2.8, however, i cant afford the canon ones, so planning to get from Tokina, sigma or tamron

which brand and series will you be recommending me plz name me the price also, but i have heard about the negative reviews about the lens of these brands

thx alot
regards

Last edited:
U might have heard, but have u actually used one? i'm using tamron lenses and i must say build quality and sharpness is there. Don't base it off hearsay, u'd be surprised by how gd it can actually be. Not everyone can be paying premium i understand. :) Nv tried 70-200 but u can try/read up on the sigma ones. Cheers!

i want to get a 70-200m lens with f2.8, however, i cant afford the canon ones, so planning to get from Tokina, sigma or tamron
which brand and series will you be recommending me plz name me the price also, but i have heard about the negative reviews about the lens of these brands
Do some homework, compare for yourself, make your own decision.
Sites to start:
www.dpreview.com
www.photozone.de
In general: feed Google with the name of the lens, add 'review' and start reading :)

just go rent and test out =) and u will know which 1 suits u more

A good site to start and compare is http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...=0&APIComp=0&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&Lens=404. It show you the sharpness of different lens. Note that this site is for Canon camera only.

And like what others had pointed out, look at Dpreview too (but I don't think it give you too many lens reviews there).

The next thing you should do was to test out the lens for yourself... do note the weigh, built and ergonomic of the lens and if it feel comfortable in your hands. Different design of focus ring (location, tightness, etc), material used to built the lens, etc, can have impact on you (trust me on this one).

Basically, the best bet is still the original one, but if you cannot afford it, third party lens can provide very good image too. I am leaning more to Sigma's 70-200mm f2.8 OS too... but take mine word with a pinch of salt and go test it out yourself.

You can also find YouTube reviews on lens. Must watch DigitalRev's. They call it Top Gear of photography. Not sure how accurate but they are surely interesting :)

If you want f2.8 and OS/IS for (relatively) cheap, get the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS!
That's what I did after a ton of research ;D

check out the sigma, either the HSM II or OS version would be good, read up some reviews on it
The tamron is known to be slow in focusing.
Not sure about Tokina though, they have a 70-200 2.8?, or are you referring to 80-200 2.8?

hi all

thx alot
regards

they make very good third party lenses actually.. :) it's alot cheaper and some of them end up having better image quality than the original.. :) don't always have to buy into the brand la.. ;)

tokina/tamron/sigma all can buy.. just test the lens out for yourself to see if it's good for you or not. don't anyhow buy just cos of the BBB virus. ;)

when you buy, do check that the lens should be reasonably sharp at f/2.8