Refunds/exchange possibility

Highfield09

Mar 12, 2014
Singapore
Hello I'm kind of new here and I wasn't too sure where to put this question.

It's with regards to a wide angle lens that I bought from Focus Point electronics pte ltd at Sim Lim square (red flag) for about $110 that didn't perform satisfactorily when I tested it after I bought it. The man who sold it was able to get a decent shot or two but overall this Pixz 52mm 0.45x "wide angle" just made the image quality horrible. It came in 2 parts that you can just screw onto your 52mm lens. It had a macro ring and a wide angle lens at the end.

I went back to and tried to research on the product to find NOTHING on the internet and it claimed to have a 10 year warranty that 'does not apply if lens is damaged through accident or misuse'. I originally intended to buy a canon 28mm 1.8 but was offered this one instead. Question I have right now is: can I still return this one and buy a 28mm (and just top up the rest).

Clearly I've made several mistakes I can point out that I don't really need reminding of but I'd really appreciate any advice (hopefully nothing like 'you should know better or you should have done your research). Maybe I'm just another victim or just stupid/ignorant or even both..

It's only just been a day since I bought it on the 11th of March.
And the invoice stating no exchange or refunds. Does/could lemon law apply here to help in my case?

I suppose lemon law covers items that are faulty? Our consumer laws and practices are not as liberal as those in the States where it's fairly easy to return an item.

You can try but you are prob left with not much leverage if you tried talking to the shop again.

Treat it as a lesson, learn from this and spread the word about not trying to cheap out by going to sim lim square unless you are sure the particular shop is reputable. There are more expensive lessons in life than this episode.

ah another one has fallen to the wide angle "lens" tactic.

Don't think you can exchange, you can try but good chance they won't give 2 f**ks about you.

You can try to exchange and top up for the Canon lens u wanted.

BUT how much do you think the black shop will sell the Canon lens to you? Market price or inflated price? Grey set or with Canon warranty?

What are the chances that the black shop will sell at inflated price?

My advice is don't bother going back. U r lucky u only paid $110. Other black shops can con selling from $160 to $200.

If u go back, u put yourself at risk on paying inflated price for that canon lens. And u may not even get a brand new lens or its a grey set.

Just go to a proper shop.

Keep that wide angle lens as a memento, a reminder to yourself about buying from black shops

You can try contact Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE), and Small Claim Tribunal to seek for advice.

anyway, such shop don't give a hoot if you go back asking for refund or exchange, we also heard from the news and social media they use abusive language towards customers when the customers asking for refund.

agree with donut88, don't bother to go for exchange, you already being chop carrot by them, yet still want to go back get chop some more?

remember, always do your homework before you shop for anything, don't try your luck, there is no way you can outsmart such shops, they already con so many people and yet they still around, better stay far far away from them.

If you have the time and money to pursue this, I imagine you could argue that what you were sold is not 'fit for the purpose for which goods of this kind in question are commonly supplied' AKA a poor quality piece of crap. ;p Really, talk to the CASE people. I noticed they also take complaints for overcharging.

dDCpZXp.png
[/IMG]

They will be able to advise you on which is more relevant to your case.

Lodge a complaint with CASE: http://www.case.org.sg/making_a_complaint.html

Q5: How do you define what is a Lemon or what is a defective
product?

A5: The Lemon Law provisions apply in the event of non-conformity to
contract at the time of delivery (e.g. a sale of goods contract).
Non-conformity to contract is defined under existing laws such as
the Sale of Goods Act, and includes situations such as the product
not being of satisfactory quality, not fit for the purpose it is
purchased for, or not meeting reasonable performance
expectations, taking into account description of the goods, the
price and other relevant circumstances.

“Satisfactory Quality” includes their state and condition, as well as
the following aspects:

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in
question are commonly supplied;
(b) appearance and finish;
(c) freedom from minor defects;
(d) safety; and (e) durability.

http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/Lemon Law FAQs.pdf

Side note: Is what you purchased something like this item?

415HpIeSqrL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer®-Definition-Extreme-Close-Up-Camcorders/dp/B004QKUISO

If it is, you can also try to source for more examples of the same (or similar) item sold by other retailers to make a case (to CASE, not the shop) that you've been ripped off as a consumer.

Last edited:
Wow in all honesty, thank you guys for the replies I really appreciate the help/advice. I'm not too bummed out about the price right now after hearing about far worse deals SLS gave my friends or some people on the internet.

Originally I had intended to buy the 28mm f1.8 (brand new he claimed) which he offered at about 625 which to me seemed pretty reasonable because id much rather spend more money on something that works and is reliable. This was what surprised me because he really kept pushing for the wide angle 'lens'.

Yes, the one he sold me was similar to the Neewer almost exactly the same except you can't find the brand 'Pixz' anywhere.
This was what he sold at $110 which he brought down from 168 to 160 to 140 and eventually 110 (because of my reluctance).

I could suppose try calling them and ask if there's something that can be done. The man did seem 'sincere' (and as naive as that made me sound) he mentioned about the bad reputation Sim Lim had and he wanted to have a regular (customer).

Really appreciate the advice everyone :)

Yes, the one he sold me was similar to the Neewer almost exactly the same except you can't find the brand 'Pixz' anywhere.

Yup, like many other generic photography accessories, if you order enough from the factory, you can stamp a custom label/brand.

I could suppose try calling them and ask if there's something that can be done. The man did seem 'sincere' (and as naive as that made me sound) he mentioned about the bad reputation Sim Lim had and he wanted to have a regular (customer).

Worth a shot, but don't get your hopes up. (see below) It'll help when you eventually approach CASE too. My impression is that they may ask you to talk to the retailer first, and what the retailer's response was. Most of us are jaded enough to assume that he probably a very good salesman/actor. All the best with this.

---------

FYI, just found this, the shop in question sounds like it's probably a regular recipient of complaints:

Consumer Complaints Filed With CASE at Sim Lim Square (For the 3 months of May – July 2013).

9. Focuspoint Electronics Pte Ltd #01-43B [2 complaints]

*Figures are accurate as of 1st August 2013. Table will be updated monthly. Sim Lim Square Management (MCST 1440) support this initative.
CASE advises consumers to be wary when purchasing electronic goods from Sim Lim Square and to always read the terms and conditions of the sales agreement carefully, paying attention to the warranty period and refund conditions. Additionally, consumers should ensure that they receive proper transaction proof (i.e. receipts with company name and address) for their purchase for ease of dispute resolution.

https://www.facebook.com/casesg/posts/10151817662083658

Consumer Complaints Filed With CASE at Sim Lim Square (For the 3 months of Sep – Nov 2013).

8. Focuspoint Electronics Pte Ltd #01-43B [3 complaints]

Figures are accurate as of 1st December 2013. Table will be updated monthly.
Sim Lim Square Management (MCST 1440) supports this initiative.
CASE advises consumers to be wary when purchasing electronic goods from Sim Lim Square and to always read the terms and conditions of the sales agreement carefully, paying attention to the warranty period and refund conditions. Additionally, consumers should ensure that they receive proper transaction proof (i.e. receipts with company name and address) for their purchase.

https://www.facebook.com/casesg/posts/10152071988463658

Last edited:
Just stick to the reputable shops. There's a list somewhere in this forum.

Please also note that the complaints only stay in the CASE system for the last six months.

Wow in all honesty, thank you guys for the replies I really appreciate the help/advice. I'm not too bummed out about the price right now after hearing about far worse deals SLS gave my friends or some people on the internet.

Originally I had intended to buy the 28mm f1.8 (brand new he claimed) which he offered at about 625 which to me seemed pretty reasonable because id much rather spend more money on something that works and is reliable. This was what surprised me because he really kept pushing for the wide angle 'lens'.

This was what he sold at $110 which he brought down from 168 to 160 to 140 and eventually 110 (because of my reluctance).

Really appreciate the advice everyone :)

You really have alot of free time.

It's not just the price that the shop quoted you for the Canon lens. There are other tricks they can play with you such as damaged lens, used lens, grey set, and they may charged you for 'extra' sub items.

BTW, did you check whether they will add another 7% GST?

U look like a person who doesn't know how to check a lens. Good luck to you when they hand over that canon lens to you.

I feel your pain.

I seriously doubt you will be able to get your money back or top up to the lens you really one.

They already screwed you over once, don't let them do it again.

Just take it as a $110 lesson learnt.

Sim Lim seems to be a cesspool for these sort or dodgy shops.

Just go a reputable shop, i think paying a little more isn't going to hurt when you have peace of mind and if there are any issues you can always go back and be treated properly and they will be more than helpful in sorting out your issues with the equipment.

Sorry to hear that bro...

Since this happened in March, i believe it is too late for you to request for refund (normally u call cops str8 away)...

My suggestion, sell this to "DV cam" owner. Usually "DV Cam" thread are smaller (30mm ++) hence they will not have distortion issues like what you are currently facing. Just sell it with lower price and take it as a lesson learned lor..

Happy long weekend bro~

Regards,
Zhi Yong

Hello I'm kind of new here and I wasn't too sure where to put this question.

It's with regards to a wide angle lens that I bought from Focus Point electronics pte ltd at Sim Lim square (red flag) for about $110 that didn't perform satisfactorily when I tested it after I bought it. The man who sold it was able to get a decent shot or two but overall this Pixz 52mm 0.45x "wide angle" just made the image quality horrible. It came in 2 parts that you can just screw onto your 52mm lens. It had a macro ring and a wide angle lens at the end.

I went back to and tried to research on the product to find NOTHING on the internet and it claimed to have a 10 year warranty that 'does not apply if lens is damaged through accident or misuse'. I originally intended to buy a canon 28mm 1.8 but was offered this one instead. Question I have right now is: can I still return this one and buy a 28mm (and just top up the rest).

Clearly I've made several mistakes I can point out that I don't really need reminding of but I'd really appreciate any advice (hopefully nothing like 'you should know better or you should have done your research). Maybe I'm just another victim or just stupid/ignorant or even both..