refresher course

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemes`S

May 18, 2004
need a crash course here to jog my memory: how do i obtain a good exposure for a certain given situation i.e.: if i want to take the city scape at night (with an illuminated monument a la fullerton at night against the dark night sky, or cars on the road against the night sky); candlelight in the night; bright sunny sky with my subject being very dark, say, a black car? or just simply, a cloudy day? do i just let my camera metre at the sky and adjust the exposure accordingly? how will it affect the exposure for the bright and dark areas? am i to assume that regardless of the situation my camera gives the idealised exposure settings? if i use iso 100 or iso 400 and then the built-in meter on my camera, how'd it affect my exposure settings? also, what good are polarising filters? thanks!

spotmeter the bright subject

if use iso 400, you are going to gain 2 stops of shutter speed over iso100 if you keep to the same aperture. To determine any given exposure you need the shutter speed, aperture, and iso. Exposure at 1/60 at f2.8 iso100 = Exposure at 1/250 at f2.8 iso400.

Polarising filter is use to saturate colours, increase contrast and reduce glare and reflections.

In evaluative/matrix mode, your camera will attempt to compensate for you. Thus the reading you get is already adjusted for whatever variables are there in picture, however its a different question whether the camera has gotten it correct.

In centre weighted/spot metering mode, the camera meter reading gives you a medium grey tone. If the subject you meter on is not medium grey, you must compensate maunally.

I suggest you go to the library and borrow a good guide to photography... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.