Reflectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Yesterday took out a remaining piece of black cardboard and wondered what to do with it.

All of a sudden I had this crazy idea and used the black cardboard like a bounce card for my flash to test shoot a photo (not like black colour can bounce any light anyway).

There's something called 'subtracting light' using reflectors as I'd recall vaguely. So, assuming if a shoot is carried out outdoors under very strong light, is this the point where black reflectors come in? :dunno:

jsbn said:
Yesterday took out a remaining piece of black cardboard and wondered what to do with it.

All of a sudden I had this crazy idea and used the black cardboard like a bounce card for my flash to test shoot a photo (not like black colour can bounce any light anyway).

There's something called 'subtracting light' using reflectors as I'd recall vaguely. So, assuming if a shoot is carried out outdoors under very strong light, is this the point where black reflectors come in? :dunno:

from wat i know.... black reflectors are just to minimise reflections... for eg, if you are taking a reflective area, like metal or maybe the eyes for such matter. dun think light bounce on black card will produce black light... or even shadow...

Yes there's something called subtracting light. Usually I use blackboards when I want the light fade off to be even greater. This is usually used for dramatic lighting. Of course, have to position it such that there's still shadow details.

primary purpose is to shield light where it is not desired. can be between light and light, subject, background and camera too.

I'm wondering if in places where there's a high degree of reflectivity (like ROM where they've got glass, mirrors & reflective walls) how could this gobo come into play? :think:

jsbn said:
I'm wondering if in places where there's a high degree of reflectivity (like ROM where they've got glass, mirrors & reflective walls) how could this gobo come into play? :think:

Use your brain, use your brain, use your brain..... :sweat: I also don't know how to solve leh after using my brain.:sweat:

jsbn said:
If mirror is in the background, just simply just angle yourself to avoid reflection, or use someone body to block your own refection.

What if a place have mirrors on ceilings & on walls too? How to aviod?:dunno: :think:

if go into room full of mirrors... den break them lor.. ;p

anyway, a gobo isn't going to help much, unless you wanna 'gobo' the whole place up...

catchlights said:
Ceiling have mirrors, use direct flash.
all walls have mirror, shoot tight crop.

Ahh.... Learn some good tips. Thanks a lot bro.:thumbsup: Tight crop & direct flash.:sweat:

Spectrum said:
Ahh.... Learn some good tips. Thanks a lot bro.:thumbsup: Tight crop & direct flash.:sweat:
You're welcomed, infact, I always encounter this kind of situation, subjects stand infront of mirror, I just simply angle myself not shooting direct to the mirror, or lower my camera height a little, the subjects will block the reflection of my flash, hope this help.

catchlights said:
You're welcomed, infact, I always encounter this kind of situation, subjects stand infront of mirror, I just simply angle myself not shooting direct to the mirror, or lower my camera height a little, the subjects will block the reflection of my flash, hope this help.

Wah! Some more tips! :) Double thanks bro.;p

Status
Not open for further replies.