Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkroom

Apr 8, 2008
Took this while trying out night photography for the first time.

2948944891_27e7de05cc.jpg

ISO: 250
Exposure: 1/10
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal length: 45mm

I loved the color and effect of the flourescent tubes in the water, and also how the light bounces off the water and back onto the erm.. pillars?

But somehow feels it still lacks the 'oomph' factor when I look at it, and I can't quite figure out what else I can do to improve this. Any comments?

Hmm, perhaps you should have taken it from a further angle such that the bridge becomes more diagonal. In addition, maybe consider zooming out a bit more and capture a larger portion of the bridge and wat is above it. The photo is slightly over exposed too, the lights are kinda bright. Could do some pp to maybe change the colour tone or something... or change the white balance.. a tested and proven concept for a photo tho, just need to find the right formula..

Took this while trying out night photography for the first time.

ISO: 250
Exposure: 1/10
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal length: 45mm

But somehow feels it still lacks the 'oomph' factor when I look at it, and I can't quite figure out what else I can do to improve this. Any comments?

try mounting your camera on a tripod, use lower ISO values, for eg 100, set ur aperture to f11 or more. your shutter speed would probably be 10 seconds or maybe more..

this way, your image will be sharper, and the slow shutter speed will result in a more smooth flowing river, enhancing the reflections.

when the river is smooth due to the slow shutter, it will appear still. thus ur reflection is much better. try recomposing your shot further up to get symmetry between the bridge and its reflection.

Last edited:
you may get your "oomph" factor if you frame the picture a little more precisely. The yellow lights at the end, and their reflections are really not required in the pic. Instead if you could shift the vanishing point to the last err...pillar, then it would give more emphasis on the bridge. Also, why ISO 250? Go for the 100. Did you forget your tripod???

Btw, if you boost your fstops to ranges around 15-22 or higher if your lens allows it, and take your pic at a low shutter speed, you will get some nice streaks of light at the points where the lamps are attached at the pillars. Worth a try.

In my opinion, I feel that the reflections on the water are not bad; you don't necessarily have to make the river look smooth with slow shutter speed.
Of course, you can try that too.
I feel the reflections add texture to the shot, which might be a good thing.

Hi darkroom,

It is a good try but the distant between the camera and the subject is too far. The dark region at the bottom is too distracting, especially the bottom right corner (where the darkness serves no purpose other than further darkening the picture). Try to zoom in closer with your lens (if possible)and thus cropping the bottom and right side of the image. This should give the bridge greater focus and the picture will brighten up as well. Try it and see. =) Do retain the reflections of the bridge on the water though. It's beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.