Reflections by the Bay

synesthesia

May 28, 2010
5303747196_d4949727ce_z.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Exposure, composition and overall image

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
To show the night scene as well as the colours reflected in the waters.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot with a tripod in A mode, F/13, 30 Secs, Iso 100

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I felt that the lights coming from Fullerton hotel and the Maybank building were over exposed and a little distracting.. how would i be able to lower that but at the same time keep all the details.

Cheers

Last edited:
exposure ok. colours look great.

foreground railings doesn't work for me. it seems like the lines enter the frame at an angle and lead away from the main "attraction". To me, this looks more of a distraction to the nice reflection. Probably I will go for a landscape (horizontal) frame than a portrait (vertical) frame. The plain sky here isn't helping and I would like to have more interesting buildings and reflection in the frame.

smaller details to take care of. the flaring appearing right at the top of the highest building and blue horizontal lines on the right hand side.

Last edited:
Don't see how the railings help in the composition of reflections..
but good try though. Very good scene.

did you shoot with a filter on?

coolthought said:
exposure ok. colours look great.

foreground railings doesn't work for me. it seems like the lines enter the frame at an angle and lead away from the main "attraction". To me, this looks more of a distraction to the nice reflection. Probably I will go for a landscape (horizontal) frame than a portrait (vertical) frame. The plain sky here isn't helping and I would like to have more interesting buildings and reflection in the frame.

smaller details to take care of. the flaring appearing right at the top of the highest building and blue horizontal lines on the right hand side.

Thanks will take note. I have no idea what caused the flaring though I tried a couple of shots and this was the best. However when I did landscape never had the prob. It was also a very cloudy day and it just stop raining. But thanks I will improve and note all these in future

derrickder said:
Don't see how the railings help in the composition of reflections..
but good try though. Very good scene.

Thanks, will experiment with different composition in the future.

mayhemics said:
did you shoot with a filter on?

Yup I did. Is that why there is flaring on top of the buildings?

Find the railing is distracting and the buildings on the left are too tight. Find the picture not well balance.
Personally, I would prefer to shoot in landscape format. Perhaps you can try shooting from another location.

Photo seems to be off center and the railing is distracting.
A more centralise shot will be nice. Like the overall idea of capturing this vision. ;p

Yup after looking at it with a different perspective I find the railings different perhaps I'll try shooting at a different location. :D

Apart from what others bro has shared, what I like is the well managed distortion. Keep shooting. :)

You can try walking around for a better spot to photograph the city skyline.

u should not hide behind the railing and shoot.

raise your hand further out to the railing and shoot. if this is not possible then u should find another angle or spot that allows u to do so.