reducing noise in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrust

Sep 25, 2004
hi,

i've scanned some negatives at a minilab, but i found out that the pictures were too noisy. probably due to the film i was using. i shot them with Fuji Superia X-tra 400.

any experts can share their tips on reducing noise on them? they will be in print and probably blown up as well. please kindly advice. i can't send them in with too much noise in them...

If you are referring to Photoshop, the program itself has a 'Reduce Noise Filter' which is quite intuitive. Try the 'Advanced' mode which allows you to individually play with the three colour channels. Just ensure that your 'Preview' is checked.

Of course, 3rd party softwares like the ones mentioned by our fellow CS member earlier - Noise Ninja or Neatimage noise reduction software - are better at it because they are dedicated standalone programs.

Do a search on Google, download the trialware, and test them out to see if it does a better job than Photoshop.

Another really good way is to open PS and go Image>Mode>Lab Colour then once image is opned in lab colour go to the channels bar and click on channel a. Then go Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and move the radius untill most of the white dots (noise) has gone. Then click Ok, and then click on channel b and the Filter>Gaussian Blur (top of the list since last used) or press Ctrl-F. Then Click Image>Mode>RGB and most of the noise should have gone.

hey all, thanks for the advice! i tried noise ninja and it is damn good. only drawback is the grids for the trial version. but otherwise, it works pretty damn well! :) thanks!

Hi antitrust,

the steps ironed out by wildstallion is much more refined (just like playing with manual i/o A & S mode for cameras) and worth trying out. I remembered testing them out when I had photoshop previously and it worked very well. I almost forgot about it all until it was brought up here by our fellow CS member.

If you have photoshop, give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.