Reduce image size without affecting quality

koplady11

Dec 2, 2009
East forever and ever
Understand that photoshop, gimp can do such resizing without degrading picture quality. However I am looking for a solution to resize 200 pictures at one go as they are from my company's event. Need the pics to be smaller in size as they would be uploaded on a common folder and that I don't intend to do any heavy-editing on the images.

I have tried microsoft photo editor to resize all at one go and the quality of the pictures suffered upon comparison from a resized photo in ps. Plus I cannot install any other software in my work laptop due to IT security issues. Btw, my work duties doesn't revolve anything around photography. Just that I always kana chosen to be the "free" event photographer, so I can't exactly spend all the time in the world in the office "editing pictures" on photoshop. Need a solution that's quick and easy.

Looking forward to some advice.

for batch processing in ps, remember to include a close file command as the last step so that you won't find yourself having 200 images opened in ps. May crash or hang your system.

Just take S jpeg.

wow i din know about the image processor built into photoshop till now :) seems like a convenient method compared to my 2 actions made (1 for portrait 1 for landscape orientation files)

quick question, when setting Height and Width to certain dimensions, say 1600 by 900, does the program automatically just makes the longer side 1600 and shorter side 900? or does it just change all the height to 900 and with to 1600 even if it is a portrait or landscape image?

some useful screenprints i found after googling here http://techiedan.com/2009/12/31/batch-resize-photos-in-photoshop-cs3/

photoshopcs3-intructions.jpg

resize-photos.jpg

I use a software called irfanview. Very fast very efficient and you can control almost all parameters. It can even do batch recursively in sub folders and also create the same folder structure in the destination location.

ricleo, if you specify the dimensions, the program will resize the image to fit into the dimensions.
So if you wish to have an image of 720x720px for facebook, just specify 720px in both fields and the image will be 720px on the long side and 480px on the short side. It works this way for both landscape and portrait orientation.
In short, it does not change the aspect ratio.

Cheers!

you could also use light room, which has the ability to add sharpening and stuff to the photos you export.

Hey all, thanks a lot for the tip! Didn't get to try it at work but managed to experiment at home with Photoshop and works wonderfully. Thanks again k! :)