Redstone's list of places to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

I'm an explorer. Going to places rarely seen, that doesn't look like Singapore. Going off the beaten track. Going the road less travelled.

Tiong Bahru, the vicinity of Tiong Bahru CC, and the area opposite: Very nice old apartments

Parkview Square: Grand, extravagant, oppulent architecture out of New York. :cool:

MacKenzie Road: Malaysia style street scenes in Singapore. Very old dilapidated shophouses.

Shuang Lin Monastery: Very serene and tranquil. Unique, rare blended architecture (you'll be suprised....). Just don't take pics of the statues of the gods.

Kusu Island: Very peaceful, very beautiful

St John's Island: Kampong style housing.

Kampong Lor. Buangkok: (no need to explain) :bsmilie:

some of the places you've mentioned, do they have photography restrictions? some public places do impose such a rule you know.

I'm very interested to know more abt MacKenzie Road area. Are those old dilapidated shop houses being occupied? If not, are there any hoardings around the vicinity?

Appreciate if you can tell me more abt it. Thanks. :)

The alley of MacKenzie looks like this:

mkr.jpg

The front, fronting Mackenzie looks like this:
mk1he.jpg

redstone said:
The alley of MacKenzie looks like this:

mkr.jpg

The front, fronting Mackenzie looks like this:
mk1he.jpg

Based on yr 2 pictures, I really like the look of the old houses. Howsoever, is it safe to be there in the night all alone? I'm into Night Photography and Nocturne Photography. Hopefully there aren't much surrounding lightings at late night time. :)

redstone said:
None. Parkview, only shoot at the public areas (like entrance plaza, walkway...);)

that day i went inside to shoot and was told no photography,outside is ok though.

i was there again today.oops!:bsmilie:

Mezzotint said:
Based on yr 2 pictures, I really like the look of the old houses. Howsoever, is it safe to be there in the night all alone? I'm into Night Photography and Nocturne Photography. Hopefully there aren't much surrounding lightings at late night time. :)

Should be safe, the houses are still occupied... The front row shades the back row from any light. The alley doesn't have any street lamps.

redstone said:
Should be safe, the houses are still occupied... The front row shades the back row from any light. The alley doesn't have any street lamps.

Think it's better to get a small group of friends there for some good night shoots. :)

I think the shophouses would be gone one day. They're not under any conservation status, and is one of the few rows which one row's front faces the alley.

I too want to go back one day.

redstone said:
I think the shophouses would be gone one day. They're not under any conservation status, and is one of the few rows which one row's front faces the alley.

I too want to go back one day.

me too,count me in.;)

Better do it quick! Make some good shots before the end of 2005. I'll be there on Tuesday.

Hey redstone! what time were u there totake those pictures? seems like it was taken in the afternoon?

Mezzotint said:
Better do it quick! Make some good shots before the end of 2005. I'll be there on Tuesday.

Hey redstone! what time were u there totake those pictures? seems like it was taken in the afternoon?

Yep. I think should be about 3 or 4pm. ;)

Another abandoned place. An old abandoned godown at Muthuraman Chetty Road. Painted reddish-pink. The very last colonial godown by S'pore River still untouched be redevelopment.

Hey redstone

I've visited MacKenzie Road shop houses yesterday afternoon. It wasn't difficult to find them - I mean the ones behind the main road. There were 2 Chinese workers from the contractor company. They were there to build up the hoarding around that area.

Phew! I was lucky though to make the trip at the "right" time. Probably by end of this week, the whole area will be fully blocked. From my observation, there are still people staying in 2 of the old units. I went there with my Seagull 205 Rangefinder camera on Ilford FP4 Plus (B&W film). Wanted to do some street photography in Little India and since I know I'll pass-by MacKenzie area I alighted at the bus-sto outside LTA, opp is KK Women & Children Hospital.

Well the downside is I didn't bring along my digi cam. Wanted to go back at night but didn't. Want to ask some friends to tag along soon for our next outing as we like to take night photography. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.