Rediscover oneself : Is visiting devastating/poor countries beneficial

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
If let say I choose to go to some really poor places in Kazakhstan or some parts of Russia, where children as young as 5 are homeless and must seek refuge from the harsh winters in some small tiny sewages...

Will it inspire my life or will it simply makes me suicidal?

Just a thought. Appreciate any inputs.

Really, it depends on individual, and only you can answer.
You can just goto Singapore's orphanage, old age home etc and be inspired or be suicidal.... ;)

If let say I choose to go to some really poor places in Kazakhstan or some parts of Russia, where children as young as 5 are homeless and must seek refuge from the harsh winters in some small tiny sewages...

You can just goto Singapore's orphanage, old age home etc and be inspired or be suicidal.... ;)

:bsmilie:

Why go so far when there are so many unfortunate here for you to give if your reason is "inspire my life or will it simply makes me suicidal" ?

i agree.. local homes do need help as well.

It depends on the individual.

My 3 wks in India made me realised how fortunate S'poreans are; and how much we take things for granted.

ya, take a walk around those 1 room flat, take a breathe and feel the atmosphere. Dunno if anything changes from 10 years ago. Last time was doing social visits around the old building opp Bugis Junction, now the Raffles Hospital area, and Hougang area...

Sometimes i do wonder if i dun buy the toys i buy, will i use the money to help another less fortunate, or should i eat at hawker centre and take the money i intend to eat at restaurant to give to those people i see collecting empty cans and such...

But its just that, sometimes i'm not motivated to do such things, so i ended up being cold hearted towards such, there is this barrier i have against the things around me... its like i'm the middle of the identity crisis, i wanna help but i feel insufficient, i dun wish to help but i feel that they do need mine... so i chose to ignore... but its still pricking nevertheless...

To make myself feel better, i think to myself, there is only so much a man can do... like all others i see, i should just aspire towards the top, and forget the people below... :embrass:

No nit to visit war-torn places.

Even a visit to Japan is enuff to inspire as I'd learnt on my continuous trips and many observations there.

It will make you a more caring person.

But we can be affected by such sufferings thorugh many ways e.g. photographs, documentaries, books etc.

Of course seeing it first hand the impact will be immediate and stronger.

Travelling is indeed a powerful experience that helps to widen one's horizons.
No matter where you travel you may found touching scenarios that may stay impressed in your mind forever.

As already mentioned here, there no needs to travel far or in other poor countries to heard the scream of the unlucky one's. All around in the world you can see people suffering the day life.
It may sounds strange but travelling around you'll notice that in the rich countries people seems to suffer incredibly high pressure from the day life, and the society cost and obbligations are a serious danger. But can easily happen to ignore all of this.

Travelling in the poor countries, most of the time force us to reflect on the other life.
But in several cases you'll experience people smiling at you, people that offer you help for no any interest, proud people that like to offer you local delicacy, and so on.

Rewarding experiences may came from "poor" places.

It's just about you, about the spirit you have and the way you look at what is surrounding you.

There's no needs for suicide, but for help and understanding.

Cheers:)

But its just that, sometimes i'm not motivated to do such things, so i ended up being cold hearted towards such, there is this barrier i have against the things around me... its like i'm the middle of the identity crisis, i wanna help but i feel insufficient, i dun wish to help but i feel that they do need mine... so i chose to ignore... but its still pricking nevertheless...

To make myself feel better, i think to myself, there is only so much a man can do... like all others i see, i should just aspire towards the top, and forget the people below... :embrass:
Pricking because we have feeling!
:think: This reminds me of a story:
Long ago there was this peaceful beautiful quiet forest with lots of animals each leading their own life! One day this peace was distrub by a forest fire! All the animals were running for their lives except a little bird din fly away for its life instead it fly to the nearest lake scoop a beakful of water n fly all the way back on top of the fire and pour the water to save the forest!
All the animals keep telling the bird to fly away to safety but it juz ignore them, keep on flying thro n fro the lake scooping its beakful of water n fly back to put out the fire! The bird juz keep on doing it till it juz drop to the ground due to extreme exhaustion.
Heaven was touched by the little birds deed n descended rain putting out the forest fire! Thus saving all the other animals lives!

Sound very Tong Hua rite? Nvm still got another one:

There was once a little girl who likes the beach so much that she went there everyday.

One day as usual the little girl go to the beach but this time she saw that the beach is different very different! Why? The beach was filled with starfish all being washashore! The little girl immediately run to the starfish started to pick them up n throw them back into the sea, before they become dried starfish!

Along came her brother who seems surprise by the little girl's deed n ask her:" What are you doing?"
Girl replied:" I am saving the starfish by throwing them back into the sea!"
Brother:" Don't be silly there is a whole beach of them how are u going to save them all?"
Girl:" I know i might not be able to save all of them but at least i know that each of the starfish i throw back into the sea, it is being saved!"

Brother after listerning to the little girl also starts to pick the starfish n throw them back into the sea! Not long people start joining them soon the beach of starfish are all back into the sea!
:angel:

Moral of the story? U guys are wise enough no need to say lah...:bsmilie:

No need to suicide lah...just go there n u will know how precious how life is n how fortunate r we!

It will be a different kind of experience n it will bring u to see life from another point of view! Suicide will not come to your mind! :)

Pricking because we have feeling!
:think:
There was once a little girl who likes the beach so much that she went there everyday.

One day as usual the little girl go to the beach but this time she saw that the beach is different very different! Why? The beach was filled with starfish all being washashore! The little girl immediately run to the starfish started to pick them up n throw them back into the sea, before they become dried starfish!

Along came her brother who seems surprise by the little girl's deed n ask her:" What are you doing?"
Girl replied:" I am saving the starfish by throwing them back into the sea!"
Brother:" Don't be silly there is a whole beach of them how are u going to save them all?"
Girl:" I know i might not be able to save all of them but at least i know that each of the starfish i throw back into the sea, it is being saved!"

Brother after listerning to the little girl also starts to pick the starfish n throw them back into the sea! Not long people start joining them soon the beach of starfish are all back into the sea!
:angel:
Moral of the story:... all SCHOOL-TEACHERS tell the same story :sweatsm:

Moral of the story:... all SCHOOL-TEACHERS tell the same story :sweatsm:
Revealed one's occupation is. Afraid are u not? Hmm?

Apologies, watched Star Wars last night. :bsmilie:

But just to quote what my Psy tutor once told me, "See with ur eyes open."

My 3 weeks stay in a poor country makes me realise it is not our choice to live in poverty and there is always a desire to improve our lives. Living in a poor country does not evoke my sympathy for the poor and neither do I feel any more fortunate than they are. But one thing is for sure, there is a stronger resolve to tell myself that I am going to make sure I am never going to end up like them.

It may make you feel bad for a while. But the feeling will pass. Then the rat race will get you again.

Go, don't think twice.

All Singaporean must do that to appreciate life more and stop complaining about life, government, NS, GST, and even vivocity, etc here. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.